shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
One of the Asschers that Quest is bringing in for us has a thin to medium faceted girdle. I thought that most asschers have thicker girdles, so is this something to be worried about, especially with chipping? Here are the rest of the specs. We are worried about the I but I guess we will see in person next weekend!

Shape: Asscher
Labratory: GIA
Carat Weight: 1.08
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Cut: none

Dimensions: 5.80x5.80x3.80
Depth %: 65.50
Table %: 58.00
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
Girdle: Thin-Medium Faceted
Fluorescence: None

Here is the other one they are bringing in for comparison
Asscher
Labratory: GIA
Carat Weight: 1.05
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Cut: none

Dimensions: 5.66x5.63x3.91
Depth %: 69.40
Table %: 63.00
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Girdle: Medium-Slightly Thick Faceted
Fluorescence: None

Thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
thin to med is fine.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much Storm!!

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Hi Inde how was your trip to GOG spill girl! FYI featherasscher (the one we bought :^) has a thin to medium girdle. It's very thin you need to worry about. In all honesty IMHO the thin to medium girdle was a bonus because it meant the cutter didn't leave excess weight around the middle to beef up the carat weight (therefore adding unnecessarily to the cost). It often translates to the fact the cutter went for best cut. Any pix? Hope you guys had fun on your roadtrip many cheers!

ETA: in this case I would go with #2 though "good" rating in symmetry would worry me. What did Jonathan bring in for you guys? If I'm not mistaken Storm has said DO NOT go lower than "very good" on either symmetry or polish. Do you have any pix?

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
cymbrie- I am so glad you got your asscher!! I really loved it from the pictures!! When are you going to have the finished ring? Unfortunately we didn''t go to GOG
7.gif
. They had only brought in 2 for us by Thursday, neither of which really spoke to us from the pictures. One was a .8, which was smaller than what we wanted, and the other had really thin windmills, which I don''t like very much. We were going to try and see if they could get anything that we would like better for Friday or Saturday but I got an infection and had to go to the hospital. Not a very lucky week! We are going to see if we like the Quest ones this weekend and if we can''t find any we like we will be back to the online drawing board. The only time we could go to GOG now is in May, which feels like way too long to wait! I a sad that they only found us 2 after over a month notice but that is how things go. I will try to get pics of the Quest ones this weekend. Your featherasscher is an I too right? The symmetry and polish kind of worry me too... ugh I am going crazy!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
good sym, I generally don''t recommend calling them in because you don''t know what caused the grade.
once they are in or if they are in stock then use you eyes and ask them to find the facets that don''t meet under a microscope and check that area by eye.
If its on of the smaller facets and the patterns are good then don''t worry about it.

The good sym rule is too keep from spending money bringing in diamonds with potential problems.
They can be kicken asschers.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry to hear you got sick :{
hope your feeling 100% better.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again Storm. Luckily Quest doesn''t charge to bring in diamonds, but they can only bring in 2 at a time so this might take a while
2.gif
I am actually a little nervous because the prices seem really reasonable. And thanks again, I am starting to feel much better. Wouldn''t you know I got sick on my spring break, the only time I could drive to NYC
40.gif
I will try to report back about how things go next weekend! Part of me thinks getting a round would be so much easier, but there is just something about these asschers
30.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2006 10:21:27 PM
Author: indecisive

... they can only bring in 2 at a time so this might take a while

I wouldn''t be nervous about good prices for diamonds in a shop that specializes in making fine settings. After all, what they care about is to get profit from the diamond & ring package. Some shops slant the balance one way or another, depending on what they have to give you. The logic wouldn''t hold if, say, their prices are half of the next best bargain out there. Sure you can tell
34.gif

About ''good'' symmetry... well, I would never look for anything about a diamond under a microscope (unless it is for a pleasure walk among funky inclusions). And it should take that much magnification to detect what made the difference in most cases.

IMO, if these are the two diamonds considered to be brought in, good for you. Well, at least I can''t see any reason not to take a look at either nor can I decide that one is more deserving from the info available.

My 2c...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oups
8.gif
wrong post.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the perspective Ana! It is so easy to get caught up in things that are microscopic when it really isn''t what matters most. I am wondering if we should try to get an idealscope though. I wouldn''t know how to use it if I got one though
20.gif
. I just can''t wait to see them in person!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results