shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher decision- pics soon I hope!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
We went to Quest yesterday. I want to know how anyone found it the first time! We kept passing the Animal Hospital and then we looked at the address and saw it was above the Animal Hospital. Pete was great though and they are very professional. He had brought in 2 diamonds, the 1.08 and the 1.05 I had asked about in a previous thread. We all decided the 1.08 was a dog, and it showed more color than the 1.05. The 1.05 looked really great when we looked at it. It was clear and sparkly. Also, it has one tiny feather that you can barely see on the GIA report because it is right in the corner, exactly were a prong would go. We loved that, because it is like paying for a VS1 and getting a FL. The only problem is when I looked at it under the microscope I could see the patterns were slightly off because the center was skewed to one side. This was something I couldn''t tell from seeing it with my eyes, but I could def see under magnification. My bf still likes it and says we shouldn''t worry about what you see under a microscope but I am worried it will start bothering me, but the thought of trying to keep looking is really daunting. Pete was going to have his brother take some pics because our camera was horrible and all it would take pictures of was sparkle not patterns, so hopefully I will have some pictures to post soon. I am just so conflicted. Here are the specs. Also, from all the talk about how small 1ct asschers are I was surprised at how big it was! It was also very white for being an I.

Shape: Asscher
Labratory: GIA
Carat Weight: 1.05
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Cut: none

Dimensions: 5.66x5.63x3.91
Depth %: 69.40
Table %: 63.00
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Girdle: Medium-Slightly Thick Faceted
Fluorescence: None

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
how badly was it off?
A review in more lighting conditions would be a good idea.
med. brightness flourecent lighting is good for checking patterns.
if in the lighting where the patterns are clearly visible and the diamond draws you to the center and the pattern looks ok then its fine.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds great to me! In the endless battle of balancing color/clarity/size requirements, you might have just found the stone that ends your search!

For me, the "off centerness" you speak of is a non-issue. No one, including yourself, will be scrutinizing it under magnification, after the purchase/appraisal period. Of course, if it bugs you....we know how that goes!

I know what you are saying about the size....there is small, there is big, and then there is Pricescope! Where else would people be complaining about ANY 1 ct being small? My 1.05 ct (see! a twin!) looks just fine to me size-wise. And aren''t you considering a halo, which will make it hugererer? I forget...

But the big question....did it make your heart go pitter pat?

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
One more question...it seems that your search has been frustrating. From GOG to Quest, why did they not have more for you to look at? Two stones, with one being a dog, seems odd. You shouldn''t have to select a stone just because it was the only "not-bad" choice...it should be the one that waves at you and says, "I''m YOURS!"

I''m not saying anything about the stone in question...it may be the one...just about the jewelers and why they are not providing you with options?

Have you guys been against the idea of working with someone who is not local?

It seems like there should be loads of options for you in that size range etc.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2006 12:44:50 PM
Author: wallermama

It seems like there should be loads of options for you in that size range etc.

The suppliers of most of the asschers sold on PS sold out over the holidays.
A lot of what was left was the dregs, si clarity or the high clarity/color expensive stuff.
The new supply is coming in right now hot off the cutting wheel.
Good asschers are fairly rare and it was a red hot season for them over Christmas/Valentines compared to years past so supply starting off the year was way low.
A lot of the H-vs goods are being reserved and not on the open market.
Thats why most of the new ones are I-vs to vvs or G-vs or better.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, that is the problem we are having. Either they have really high specs (which would be great if we had a few extra thousand!), too low specs, or the numbers just aren''t great. I really did love this asscher when I saw it, my bf liked it even more than I did! I thought the patterns looked really great, with nice sized windmills which are important to me, until I saw it under the microscope. I just wasn''t expecting it to look skewed, but when I looked at it normally again I couldn''t see the "off-centeredness". I am feeling a lot better about it now though. It really was very bring and sparkly. I haven''t gotten the pictures of the actual stone yet but I found one on GOGs website that looks really similar to how this one looked under the microscope.(the Quest one may be a hair more skewed under the microscope)

clarity1__i.jpg

And this is how the GOG one looks normally.
pic1.jpg

This made me feel a lot better about it. I have to make a decision by Monday, but right now I am leaning towards this (the Quest one) being the one! It is hard not having seen any great asschers in person, but we really loved this one.

"For me, the "off centerness" you speak of is a non-issue. No one, including yourself, will be scrutinizing it under magnification, after the purchase/appraisal period. Of course, if it bugs you....we know how that goes!
I know what you are saying about the size....there is small, there is big, and then there is Pricescope! Where else would people be complaining about ANY 1 ct being small? My 1.05 ct (see! a twin!) looks just fine to me size-wise. And aren''t you considering a halo, which will make it hugererer? I forget..."

That is so true. Not to mention most people wouldn''t even know what a good asscher would look like if they could see it under a microscope! I had considered a halo but mf bf absolutely hates them (crazy isn''t it??). He is doing all the setting stuff so I will be out of the process, but I am sure he and Quest will come up with something good! I know what you mean about the size thing though. I had been so worried the asscher would look tiny and barely show up. I guess it is better to have low expectations and be surprised that way than the other way around! I am starting to get excited but I don''t know how I will be able to wait. My bf keeps threatening to block PS from my computer so I won''t change my mind again after I look at everyone''s amazing rings! I hope Quest will get the pictures of the actual diamond soon! I will post when I get them. I hope everything made sense! I have been doing too many chemistry and microbiology papers lately!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it looks like the GOG one its fine.
its eye centered.
A little tilt can make it look off center also.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see the pics from Quest. If it looks like the one from GOG I bet it''s beautiful.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I sense a growing excitement in you!

Do keep remembering what a strange, skewed environment PS is when it comes to diamond size. And keep chanting, "A carat is a carat no matter what the shape!". Start getting snobby about depth. "Pshaw! Your RB is soooooo shallow compared to my deep clear asscher pool of water." Go to your grocery store and I defy you to find huge e-rings...other than yours! Now I live in SF and I see large rocks all of the time, and my ring still seems perfect to me. I know it is ridiculous, but somehow larger diamonds for ME on MY hand make a statement about who I am and where my family is that I''m not comfortable with. I wanted to find a size that did justice to the asscher cut but didn''t shout "I''m better than you!" I''m excited for people who have gorgeous rings and don''t judge them at all...this is just about me and my finger
1.gif

And storm, I guess I''m still unschooled enough in asscher numbers to know what is a dog or not. But what''s wrong with something like this posted below? I''d love to know. I''m still gathering asscher knowledge even though my search os done. For now. (Did I just say that????)

>G VS2 at Abazias

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with the tilt issue. When I was "playing" with my ring during the appraisal, I spent a lot of time wiggling it around and it was quite hard to get it aligned perfectly with a wiggly hand and a loupe, even though I knew the center was not off and the facets were aligned. You may have been dealing with those issues, as Storm said.

That stone will be fabulous!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock

That''s true, I didn''t even think about tilt. He just kind of stuck it under the microscope so it def could have had a little bit of tilt. It is amazing how everything you have learned just goes out the window when there is something sparkly in front of you!! Also wallermama, that stone could end up being nice but it is out of our budget of $4,000

8.gif
so that limited the choices too. My bf only wanted to consider diamonds we could see before we put money into it, so that was another limitation. I am really started to get excited about this though. We have been looking for so long!

Kaleigh- I had to tell Pete about how I learned about Quest and how much I loved Your ring and PricessV''s ring. I think the pictures of those rings have gotten Quest a lot of business!!

2.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Can''t wait for pics.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Oh Inde I'm so excited for you we ending up purchasing my asscher or "featherasscher" from GOG it is now in Mark Morrell's possession waiting to be set. The tilt could be a bit off but if it's from GOG Jonathan will get you the very best keep us posted and let us know how it goes SO excited for you sending brilliant asscher vibes your way!
9.gif

ETA: I know there was one pic I posted that looked a bit off center it was due to tilt.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
So....did you do it? Is it yours? Whooppeee (in advance) for you!!!!!!!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Cymbrie- I am so glad you are back! I have been checking the SMTR page way more than I should hoping your ring would be ready. I am glad it is on its way to being done!

We finally got the pictures from Quest and I don''t really know how I feel. They aren''t great pictures but I am still seeing what I saw under the microscope. It didn''t look as yellow in person as it does in the picture but I just don''t know what to do
7.gif

Mike_Fletcher_Image_1crop.jpg

Mike_Fletcher_Image_2crop.jpg

What do you guys think?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
it does look just a hair off center, it looks like one of culet facets was miscut.
Its up to you if you feel it will be eye visible or if it will bug you even if it isnt.
There are more asschers coming available right now but who knows that the pricing will be like.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks perfectly fine to me...but if you feel bad about it, that''s then end of it. And it doesn''t need to be any substantial issue at play.

Next time... how about not using the microscope?
2.gif
It sounds like you would have ended with a killer stone if it wasn''t for the darn tool
11.gif

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Inde glad to be back, been crazy busy on this end got a new job! YAY LOL I think the SMTR folders gonna have to wait a bit longer. I don''t think Mark will have my ring done anytime soon 8-12 weeks...he''s backed up and we''re still talking design he''s suggesting claw prongs to spice up the otherwise spartan x-prong design. I have to see some drawings. I know Kaleigh will support claw prongs all the way, it''s very classic, very cartier.

Yeah that stone (pictured) appears just a hair off center, if Storm''s saying that too I''d trust him. That new one you just posted looks promising has all the right numbers...maybe you''ve seen this page but I measured featherasscher up to this scale (see link) and the results were encouraging...did you ever make it to GOG? Keep pix a coming...
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results