shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Cut - Too trendy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

csqg

Rough_Rock
Need help!

I am trying to find a diamond for the ring. I have noticed that many people have been buying asscher cut. I was wondering if it was too trendy now - the hot diamond of the moment vs princess or emerald.

Thanks,

E B

Ideal_Rock
csqg,

Do you know what shape your gf likes? Is there any way you can find out? This is the most important thing, regardless of trend. Some people really don''t like certain shapes...I''m not a princess fan. I am, however, an asscher fan (and a round fan, of course!).

In regards to an asscher being trendy or not, I don''t think so. I actually find it a very classic cut.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The asscher cut has been around a very long time.
It maintained a reasonable level of popularity for a 100 years.
It seems trendy because of all the press it gets on PS but look around you and how many of them do you see?
They are unique and beautiful!
and never a bad choice :}

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never seen one person in real life with and asscher e-ring. I think they seem trendy b/c they are so popular here on PS but they are very rare in real life.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, csqq!

I sure wouldn''t let ''trendiness'', or lack thereof, determine what cut diamond I get! I''d go for what I like best!

I suspect asschers will never be super popular because they do tend to face up smaller than other cuts of similar carat weight.

My ''asscher'' was cut in the 1920s, so they''re not exactly "new"..
5.gif

Welcome, by the way!

widget

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I also haven''t seen anyone in real life with an asscher. When I went into a maul store (don''t shoot me) to see what one actually looked like on my hand, they didn''t have any. The employees didn''t even know what I was talking about. Although, that probably speaks more about mall stores...

I think that they''re just so popular on here because they''re so incredibly beautiful.
9.gif
If your girlfriend likes them, go for it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The asscher cut as Storm mentioned has been around for a very long time. It''s gained in popularity recently as many here have discovered. But to me it''s a true classic and always will be.
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the reason Asscher cuts seem so popular on Pricescope is because people who want one HAVE, HAVE, HAVE to do a lot of research (mostly on the internet). It''s nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find them in most brick & mortar stores (and ALL maul stores it seems).

I found Pricescope in my search for info ON Asscher stones ... I''m sure I''m not alone!

I''d guess that a much greater percentage of people seeking more common cuts go directly to a store and get one. (NOT THAT THEY SHOULD!!!
32.gif

I have an Asscher actually and no one in my "real" life had ever heard of the cut ... and most of the time people see it they think "square"ish = princess and I end up just saying "Square Emerald" ''cause people at least have HEARD of "Emerald" cut.

csqg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help.

My GF likes the asscher cut. But I think the key is the size for her. She jokes around wanting 5C but I say that size on her hand would look like an extra knuckle. Ring size is 4.5 and she only stand 5''2" 95ibs. I think the best size would be 1.33-1.8C.

I know all girls love to compare the size of their rock!! Most of our friends have 1.2-1.5C.

Any suggestion on where to buy?
I am recommending this forum to all my friends.
Thanks

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
She may not know it but Asscher cuts appear smaller than most other cuts, especially Rounds & Emeralds. So to "compete" size-wise with her pals'' 1.3-1.5 round stones, ya might have to get her an Asscher larger in carat weight than that.

She may not be kidding about the 5cts!!
31.gif

However, I''d say that there really IS no competition if Asscher''s what she wants. IMO it more than makes up for it''s slight lack of size appearance with unbeatable hypnotic depth & a strong unique elegance.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Csqq-

Welcome! Are you opposed to buying from an online vendor? That is where I would start. You can do a search here on Pricescope looking for asschers within the parameters you like. Maybe one of the experts (Storm!) can chime in here. He has helped so many choose their dream asscher- he is very knowledgeable and so willing to help...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
www.goodoldgold.com

www.whiteflash.com

Would be my top picks for asschers.
They both have been bringing in some good ones.
Just be aware you may need to have a few brought in and you need to be patient.
They arent pre-selected as much or as well as the rounds so its a little more work.
There are some asscher threads in the FAQ section of this board with a ton of information.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I have never seen an asscher in "real life" either. We were only able to find one store that had one asscher as well. I almost wish they were more trendy so they were easier to find! Not really, but it seems like it. It is funny you mention princess cut, because almost everyone I know that has gotten engaged in the past 2 years has gotten a princess cut. Good luck finding what your girlfriend wants! Keep us updated!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
The only one I have seen in real life is the one I wear on my finger everyday :)

I live in a wealthy suburb of a major city and have seen some amazing rings here but not ONE asscher. I have seen emerald cuts, LOTS of princess, LOTS of rounds, even a trillian ceter, but never an asscher. I have gotten lots of complements on my new ring and when I''m asked the cut, most people have never even heard of it.

SO, if you like it, go for it. I don''t worry about trends though. I left hints with my husband that I loved the shape and thats what I wanted.

My orginal ring from 11 years ago is a round. I loved it, still love the diamond, but talk about common.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its a Classic and it will stay a Classic 4ever..., it has passed the test of time...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the asscher is an enduring, classic cut.
best of luck in your search!

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
You cannot really judge a cut''s ''trendiness'' by PriceScope. Many of the posters here are much better informed than the general public. I do think the people here are ahead of the trend curve. :)

I live in Los Angeles, and not one of my friends has an Asscher. Princesses, rounds and emerald cuts are most popular. And a couple of us have Old European cuts. I do see Asschers in many stores though.

I''d love to get an Asscher in a couple of years, they are divine!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to pipe in here. I have an asscher ering and most folks that look at it comment that they''ve never seen that sort of stone before. The only jewelery stores that I''ve found that carry them are the higher end, local stores...

And honestly, if your GF loves that cut, that''s the way I''d go. I think most folks that want an asscher really are crazy about them. They are far and away my favorite shape and I KNEW I didn''t want anything else for my engagement ring. Other shapes can be beautiful, but something about the depth and clean lines of an asscher just makes me smile!

For whatever that is worth.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Every non-PS person I''ve showed pix of my asscher to (even jewelry lovers) say wow I''ve NEVER seen that cut it''s gorgeous. It may seem trendy right now, but it''s definitely a classic cut. Let me say this my fashion idols are Audrey Hepburn, Jackie O, Grace Kelly etc. Classic styles while not always trendy never look out of place or out of style, I firmly believe the asscher falls into this catagory. If you GF loves it by all means get it. We got ours from GOG they are AWESOME for asschers. Best of luck keep us posted. Never met an asscher owner who regretted their choice.
2.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
The first time I saw an asscher in person was when my friend got engaged with one, and I thought it was so unique and classy looking! If I wasnt such a sparkle wh*re I would have loved to have one versus my round. i think they are very sleek and classy and have staying power.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will say that something may be contributing to the Asscher as "trendy" suspicions is the recent hype of the cut on a certain shopping channel. They act like they just discovered it and wave around a "fakey" Asscher the size of a football player''s FIST.

They''ve even knocked off popular Daniel K styles, including the Asscher Pave Halo ...

NOTHING though, not a tacky shopping channel, cheap knockoffs or dubious "is that a Princess?" passerbys could stop me from adoring my perfect Asscher.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

csqg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your guys help.

Sorry about the late reply. My GF and I are planning a Europe trip so now I am trying to figure out the best way to propose. Also I don''t have time to get a ring so I am thinking about picking up a temporary one (small one from Tiffany). Long story short, we are currently in Taiwan and finally heading back to US in July. But we will be making a quick stop in Europe.

I will have a proposal idea up in the other forum section.

csqg

TxBlonde

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 12:59:44 AM
Author: decodelighted
I think the reason Asscher cuts seem so popular on Pricescope is because people who want one HAVE, HAVE, HAVE to do a lot of research (mostly on the internet). It''s nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find them in most brick & mortar stores (and ALL maul stores it seems).

I found Pricescope in my search for info ON Asscher stones ... I''m sure I''m not alone!

I''d guess that a much greater percentage of people seeking more common cuts go directly to a store and get one. (NOT THAT THEY SHOULD!!!
32.gif

I have an Asscher actually and no one in my ''real'' life had ever heard of the cut ... and most of the time people see it they think ''square''ish = princess and I end up just saying ''Square Emerald'' ''cause people at least have HEARD of ''Emerald'' cut.
I also found Pricescope by searching for information on the asscher cut. When I told my friends I wanted an asscher for my engagement the reaction was....A WHAT? Not many people in my "real life" have heard of it. I think that asscher''s are unique and I just love the way they draw you in.....AHH I''m gushing now...
30.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen a 2.5 carat asscher and it was GORGEOUS. You could see the stair step cuts from across the room. The only thing is, it didn''t sparkle or have fire. It was a top grade, colorless stone with great polish (you did get sparkle from there). Still, it was gorgeous. Stunning. Very beautiful.

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
Please listen to the comments others have made about asschers appearing smaller when compared to other cuts of equal carat weight....We wanted a stone that appeared a certain size and had to bump up the weight significantly to acheve it. Keeping this in mind will save you both disappointment.

As for the comment previous to mine...my asscher sparkles, shimes, shimmers, etc. amazingly. It captures plenty of attention whenever it is clean :--) I have had no dosappointment with the sparkle factor of asschers.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think Asschers will ever loose their charm. It’s very modern and a very sophisticated look. The Asschers I’ve seen sparkled like mad! It is very true that you have to keep the spread in mind. When I first became a member of PS I really wanted to have a radiant cut diamond. After seeing them in person I realized that we’d have to up our carat weight to get the 8mm spread I was looking for and it was at the same time difficult to find an ideal cut in the budget we were looking at. For this reason I decided that a Round diamond would be more bang for it’s buck! It’s free to browse any store so I would first get comfortable with the size and shape before making your final selection.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I see where one would think of an asscher as being ''trendy''. Much like platinum and white gold were in the ''40s and ''50s. I don''t see them as having come back in style, I see them as having never left.
2.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asscherisme: I also love them, had a round from when I was engaged and had gotten one upgrade (an e/c) and was planning another. then, one of my closest friends here got an asscher so I could not. Her original was a pear, which was also so common back in the day (15-20 years ago). Rounds are nice but as you say common, and I loved the step cut look of the e/c or the asscher. It is also true they can look smaller than the same size in another stone. I too live in a suburb with a lot of wealth outside Phildelphia and to me, the thing I see most is emerald cuts. A few pears and princess, one heart shape, a few ovals, a couple cushions, but just one or two asschers. Emerald cuts in platinum seem to be what is most common here now for some reason. I also have seen a few of the radiant ones that are new...I forget their name right now.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm late to this party, but soooo many people have seen my ring in "real life" and asked me what the heck it was, and if my husband had the stone custom cut. The gentleman at Tiffany's in Las Vegas that cleaned my ring before the wedding complimented me on my "cushion".
4.gif

PS is a microcosm of the real world, and generally months ahead of trends IRL. Anyone who has searched for an Asscher in a mall store knows that it's highly unusual to catch any jeweler, even the high end local stores, with even ONE Asscher in stock. There are maybe one or two Daniel K distributors here in Dallas, but I would never call any particular shape "trendy" - especially one that has spanned 100 years.
2.gif

Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results