shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Cut Help, First time Buyer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mheadington

Rough_Rock
For all of you expert out there, I would appreciate your help.

EGL Certificate 76360917D
Weight :0.74 ct.
Shape :SQUARE EMERALD STEP
Color G
Clarity VS2
Measurements 5.16 x 5.07 x 3.45 mm
Depth 68.0
Table 74.0
Crown 9.9
Pavilion 55.9
Girdle THIN TO SL. THICK POLISHED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE

This stone is set in a setting already, $2,000
Please let me know if you think this is a good buy. Thanks

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you seen it?
If not do you have pictures?

By the numbers it doesnt sound that great and the price is on the low end which would go along with that.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Storm is right, for Asschers you can''t judge them by numbers alone. Either you have to see them in person, or at least see some decent pics of them. If you can post some pics, that will help us to judge this stone.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers tell size, weight, color & clarity contingent on lab''s record and price... and these sound good, but are not quite enough to tell what the diamond looks like.

I would compare the price with GIA graded pieces one grade down, in fact I did do some of that and the price sounds attractive. It remains for you to determine if this diamond is a brilliant, clean stone as I am sure it is expected of diamonds most of the time
11.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Bet this is useful somehow, only I have not seen this simple model worked out for all to see. The AGA charts start with these scant numbers (link to AGA tables) but, obviously, they know allot more than I do and there are assumptions behind those grades that my doodle below does not exploit in any way.

Thought I'd mention this, given there are quite a a few inquiries asking to judge an unknown fancy shape diamonds by five numbers
2.gif
Since that's often all that is known about the piece and other ways of showing it online convincingly are limited, no wonder.
7.gif

The pictures below have been generated using the DiamCalc software.

fewnumbers.JPG

mheadington

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your input, im going to try to get a pic on here for you guys. I also found another stone for about the same price, does this one seem better? I will try to get pics of both soon.

GIA: 13503132
5.13 x 5.12 x 3.34
.73 ct
depth: 65.2%
table: 61%
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Polish/symmetry: Excellent
Clarity: SI1
Characteristics: Cloud..........Not sure what this is????
Color: H
Fluorescence: None

Thanks alot again for all of your help.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
by the numbers the second sounds better cut if its a modern interpretation.
If its a classic cut with that depth its might not look right.
The rule with asschers is pictures pictures pictures the more the better.
Is it eyeclean? an SI1 asscher often wont be but can be.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A cloud is a group of small inclusions close togerther.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2005 9:31:49 AM
Author: mheadington

I also found another stone for about the same price, does this one seem better? I will try to get pics of both soon.
Well, why not. Could be...

''Cloud'' is what Strm says. Depending on how opaque this gathering of inclusions is, it could be a blob in the middle of the diamond looking like a dab of pepper, of a tiny patch of fog that no one except the graders at GIA could ever deterct! Ironically, the fog would look allot worse on a lab report - since the outer limits of a cloud are marked on paper, a slight but extended ''cloud'' would end up making the clarity plot on the lab report lok red and with falts and, basically, allot worse than the diamond itself. The small, dense and visible coulds do not look like much on lab reports
6.gif

This being a step cut. SI1 is yet another reason to leave the final purchase dependent on actually seeing the stone in person. This is easy when the selller has a return policy - and most are.

Hope this helps

Ana

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results