shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher band... might change my mind. thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so I bought a 4.69ct Daniel K Asscher uternity band but it was too small in ring size the next morning so I went back to jeweler to exchange and resize. They can''t order anything new for me until Monday so I have to go back then to be resized. I must confess, after going in there yesterday and trying on different bands for size, the uterniy setting IS NOT the most comfortable. Doable for sure but I was thinking... would I want to be wearing this when I''m 70 years old?? Probably not.

I''m thinking that I might get a more comfortable, shared prong round stone band around the same carat weight. Those brilliant cuts sure do sparkle! It might look weird with my Asscher and side traps engagement ring but my Hubby says I get another stone for our 5 year anniversary (3 years from now) and I''m thinking of getting a squarish cushion then anyway. And, I''m expecting my first baby in about 6 weeks and a lot of my Mommy friends say that I''ll just be wearing my wedding band by itself a lot anyway.

I want this eternity band to be my *forever* wedding ring.

Thoughts?? TIA!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
this is the one I bought a couple days ago:

DKCJR000.jpg

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking about getting something like this:

it's sits lower and is probably more comfortable. Hmmmmmmm....

HHeternity18.jpg

lux

Rough_Rock
Are your hands swollen from being pregnant? If so, that is probably contributing to how comfortable the ring is on your finger.

I''d guess if you don''t plan on having many children (or any more?) you may want to weight until after the baby & baby weight to decide whether or not to trade/upgrade/reset/whatever an eternity band.

what''s comfortable on your fingers now may not be in a year, you know?

also, if it gets colder where you are during the winter, or really hot during the summer, all of those things affect how your ring fits you.

i didn''t like wearing my ering the first summer i had it because my hands would swell and it didn''t fit well when it was so warm outside. By the end of the first summer, however, my finger had kind of shaped itself to the ring, and i didn''t feel any discomfort, no matter how warm it was.

don''t know if that helps.

also, i tend to think asschers are really had to match with other stones that don''t echo the cut of it. I personally really dislike the look of asscher cuts with an rb eternity band, but some people love it. i''d say maybe try looking at emerald cuts or bags if you choose to look at different rings?

Perhaps your jewelry guy/girl will have good suggestions about what to pair with an asscher (as far as what they have on hand)?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 2:05:54 PM
Author:Miss Fortune
Okay, so I bought a 4.69ct Daniel K Asscher uternity band but it was too small in ring size the next morning so I went back to jeweler to exchange and resize. They can''t order anything new for me until Monday so I have to go back then to be resized. I must confess, after going in there yesterday and trying on different bands for size, the uterniy setting IS NOT the most comfortable. Doable for sure but I was thinking... would I want to be wearing this when I''m 70 years old?? Probably not.

I''m thinking that I might get a more comfortable, shared prong round stone band around the same carat weight. Those brilliant cuts sure do sparkle! It might look weird with my Asscher and side traps engagement ring but my Hubby says I get another stone for our 5 year anniversary (3 years from now) and I''m thinking of getting a squarish cushion then anyway. And, I''m expecting my first baby in about 6 weeks and a lot of my Mommy friends say that I''ll just be wearing my wedding band by itself a lot anyway.

Thoughts?? TIA!
You increase your chances of a forever wedding ring by getting a 1/2 or 3/4 eternity that can be resized. You''ll get less Play-Doh and such in the diamonds on your palm side as well.

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 2:17:27 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Date: 12/31/2008 2:05:54 PM

Author:Miss Fortune

Thoughts?? TIA!
You increase your chances of a forever wedding ring by getting a 1/2 or 3/4 eternity that can be resized. You''ll get less Play-Doh and such in the diamonds on your palm side as well.

good point!! Thanks!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eternity9.JPG

Here is my asscher eternity ring (6.25 ctw) . I''ve had it for a while and would not trade it for anything (I had a RB eternity before....). While I admit it took some getting accustomed to--the sides can be "pokey"--it sparkles like mad and is unique. I no longer "feel" the ring.

Only you know what you can tolerate. Good luck on your decision.

cheers--Sharon

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 2:21:51 PM
Author: canuk-gal
eternity9.JPG

Here is my asscher eternity ring (6.25 ctw) . I've had it for a while and would not trade it for anything (I had a RB eternity before....). While I admit it took some getting accustomed to--the sides can be 'pokey'--it sparkles like mad and is unique. I no longer 'feel' the ring.

Only you know what you can tolerate. Good luck on your decision.

cheers--Sharon

Looks like your stones sit lower than the daniel k version. I really like yours. Wow! 6.25
30.gif
Jeweler did give me the option to have them do a version of it. It did seem more comfortable in the store yesterday because the stones were lower. hmmmmm... I have some thinking to do huh?!?

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
why can''t I have madonna money and just have one of everything?!?!? ha!!!
3.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 2:33:46 PM
HI:

Here is the link to my thread--there are a few hand pictures but I don''t know if you can get a feel for the profile....my ring does indeed sit low, but I have a suspicion that the shared prong RB style would be more a more ''compact'' setting.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ive-been-holding-out-asscher-eternity-and-earrings.62049/

P.S. Have you tried on any shared prong or other round/setting styles?

cheers--Sharon

yeah, tried some rounds on yesterday - that''s why I am reconsidering. They were more comfortable. But I love asschers.... ho hum. I''ll look again and try a bunch of stuff on again on Monday. Thanks for your posts! I''m so freakin'' indecisive! It''s awful!!!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the link!!

TriciaKirk

Rough_Rock
First of all - love your rings. Really beautiful but I have to confess that comfort is important. I bought a Tiffany channel set eternity band a few years ago - I love the style and size - but it is not comfortable to wear and so I don''t wear it very often. It was a total waste of money and I do feel bad about that. I have gone back to just wearing a plain band or just my engagement ring alone. Just my experience but comfort is very important to me now.

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
this photo is GORGEOUS!! Wow. You''re right... it IS different and unique and gorgeous!

jeans22.JPG

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 2:46:36 PM
Author: TriciaKirk
First of all - love your rings. Really beautiful but I have to confess that comfort is important. I bought a Tiffany channel set eternity band a few years ago - I love the style and size - but it is not comfortable to wear and so I don't wear it very often. It was a total waste of money and I do feel bad about that. I have gone back to just wearing a plain band or just my engagement ring alone. Just my experience but comfort is very important to me now.

I know! comfort is really important right?!?! it's so much money so I want to be really sure about it. Thanks for replying. Lots to consider on Monday. I might take a friend with me for support! Wish I could take one of you girls with me!!!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 2:15:26 PM
Author: lux
Are your hands swollen from being pregnant? If so, that is probably contributing to how comfortable the ring is on your finger.

I''d guess if you don''t plan on having many children (or any more?) you may want to weight until after the baby & baby weight to decide whether or not to trade/upgrade/reset/whatever an eternity band.

what''s comfortable on your fingers now may not be in a year, you know?

also, if it gets colder where you are during the winter, or really hot during the summer, all of those things affect how your ring fits you.

i didn''t like wearing my ering the first summer i had it because my hands would swell and it didn''t fit well when it was so warm outside. By the end of the first summer, however, my finger had kind of shaped itself to the ring, and i didn''t feel any discomfort, no matter how warm it was.

don''t know if that helps.

also, i tend to think asschers are really had to match with other stones that don''t echo the cut of it. I personally really dislike the look of asscher cuts with an rb eternity band, but some people love it. i''d say maybe try looking at emerald cuts or bags if you choose to look at different rings?

Perhaps your jewelry guy/girl will have good suggestions about what to pair with an asscher (as far as what they have on hand)?

Thanks Lux! plan to have one more after this one. fortunately my finger size hasn''t changed since being pregnant. all the weight is in my belly and ass!! I have a lot of thinking to do on Monday. Should be fun and frustrating at the same time
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What weight round shared prong rings did you try on? Honestly, my husband bought me a 2.8 ct. round eternity ring for our anniversary last week and I decided to return it because the stones (15 points) were just too big to wear with my 1.6 ct. diamond e-ring. The ring itself wasn''t all that comfortable because of the size of the stones. I think I need smaller stones for a full eternity because they would allow the ring to sit closer to my finger. For larger stones, I think I''d just like them across the top. It was painful to let it go, but I am not sure larger eternity rings are all that comfortable.

sparklestick

Shiny_Rock
I found even a small shared prong eternity very uncomfortable. Don''t kid yourself you will get used to it as it will just sit in your jewelery box.

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
The asscher ring looks pretty, but I agree with a few of the other ladies- most eternity bands just aren''t that comfortable to me.
I''m also a clean freak when it comes to my rocks, so the idea of them getting smudged up in every day life doesn''t thrill me- nor does having stones on the bottom of my finger that could be damaged.
It just seems like with a child on the way, something slightly more practical, but just as beautiful, should be considered.
Much luck on your search!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of an eternity band. The idea that diamonds, or another stone, goes all the way around my finger is very appealing. But I don''t find them very comfortable and can''t imagine wearing an eternity band with kids running around. I spent a week with an 18 month old and when she wasn''t dribbling, she had her greasy fingers on everything, or I was left holding some of the weirdest combinations of food items in my hands.

I have a forever ring, it is an eternity band with engraving and small diamonds, but I''ve come to terms that between children getting their hands on everything and the possibility of having bad hands and knuckles as I grow older (like my own grandparents do) I likely won''t actually be wearing it age 70.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved the look of the band with your ering but if it''s not comfortable now, I somehow doubt you''ll get used to it. I have yet to try on an eternity band with larger stones that I felt was truly comfortable. I got a Memoire five stone band for that reason - the stones are .40 each for a total of 2.00 carats so I get alot of bling on top of the hand and yet never feel the sides of the ring. I love eternity bands but was also afraid that I''d be banging the palm side of the ring on every steering wheel, grocery cart, umbrella, etc. that I had my hand around. When you look at the ring on top of my hand, you''d really never guess that the stones didn''t go all the way around the finger as it provides finger to finger coverage.

Another option would be a channel set band as they are definitely more comfortable. It''s just a matter of preference - some people don''t care for the look of a channel set ring.

I hope the jeweler has some rings in your size for you to try on before you commit. It''s always frustrating to try on rings that are too big and then having to gauge how they would look and feel on your finger in the correct size.

One other thought - how about upgrading your current ering stone with the money to a larger one and using a plain band with it to wear everyday? Babies and diamond rings don''t always work well together. I never wore mine except when we left the house. Just a thought although I''m sure that''s not in your plan!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My old channel set ETR was the most comfortable ring I''ve worn. (16 x 11 points). I''ve always felt channel set pieces are understated in appearance.

cheers--Sharon

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I do have a plain platinum band from Cartier that I wear when around the house, hiking, gym etc. So, that I will consider as my "baby friendly" band and will probably end up wearing that a lot.

I have been working to upgrade my ering stone but just can''t fine one that is beautiful and large enough to make a visual difference in regards to my current ering asscher.

I''m gonna stop by the jewelers again on Monday and try on a few styles - get my finger sized and see. I''ll let you know what I end up with.

Thanks again and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 4:46:21 PM
HI:

My old channel set ETR was the most comfortable ring I''ve worn. (16 x 11 points). I''ve always felt channel set pieces are understated in appearance.

cheers--Sharon

I''ll try some channels on Monday. could be an alternative although I''ve never been a huge fan of them but with 25 pointers, it might be pretty! thanks!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 4:30:56 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
I loved the look of the band with your ering but if it''s not comfortable now, I somehow doubt you''ll get used to it. I have yet to try on an eternity band with larger stones that I felt was truly comfortable. I got a Memoire five stone band for that reason - the stones are .40 each for a total of 2.00 carats so I get alot of bling on top of the hand and yet never feel the sides of the ring. I love eternity bands but was also afraid that I''d be banging the palm side of the ring on every steering wheel, grocery cart, umbrella, etc. that I had my hand around. When you look at the ring on top of my hand, you''d really never guess that the stones didn''t go all the way around the finger as it provides finger to finger coverage.

Another option would be a channel set band as they are definitely more comfortable. It''s just a matter of preference - some people don''t care for the look of a channel set ring.

I hope the jeweler has some rings in your size for you to try on before you commit. It''s always frustrating to try on rings that are too big and then having to gauge how they would look and feel on your finger in the correct size.

One other thought - how about upgrading your current ering stone with the money to a larger one and using a plain band with it to wear everyday? Babies and diamond rings don''t always work well together. I never wore mine except when we left the house. Just a thought although I''m sure that''s not in your plan!

it isn''t SUPER uncomfortable just not sure I''d want to wear it to the grocery BUT I do have a platinum band for those days. We''ll see.... thanks! hmmmmmm... I have some shopping and thinking to do! Could be worse right!!!???

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 4:02:56 PM
Author: Addy
I love the idea of an eternity band. The idea that diamonds, or another stone, goes all the way around my finger is very appealing. But I don''t find them very comfortable and can''t imagine wearing an eternity band with kids running around. I spent a week with an 18 month old and when she wasn''t dribbling, she had her greasy fingers on everything, or I was left holding some of the weirdest combinations of food items in my hands.

I have a forever ring, it is an eternity band with engraving and small diamonds, but I''ve come to terms that between children getting their hands on everything and the possibility of having bad hands and knuckles as I grow older (like my own grandparents do) I likely won''t actually be wearing it age 70.

thanks for the imput!! I guess cleaning poo and spit up out of a ring will be my reality soon! ha!
2.gif

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Again, thanks so much everybody!! I really appreciate you taking the time to post.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Decision, decisions - good luck to you! Please let us know what you decide!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t want to say anything on your other thread but ... I wasn''t so very crazy about that band WITH your e-ring. The band on its own is a stunner & your e-ring is lovely ... but they just seemed the wrong scale for *each other*.

Good luck with your decision. AM JEALOUS! My recent ponderings have been which pair of slippers to get the DH ... LOL!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 8:53:51 PM
Author: decodelighted
I didn''t want to say anything on your other thread but ... I wasn''t so very crazy about that band WITH your e-ring. The band on its own is a stunner & your e-ring is lovely ... but they just seemed the wrong scale for *each other*.

Good luck with your decision. AM JEALOUS! My recent ponderings have been which pair of slippers to get the DH ... LOL!

I totally know what you mean by the scale is off. Oh, I don''t know... we''ll see what happens on Monday. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results