carat
color
clarity

ASET Experts/Novices, Opinion on 56 Tbl, 34.5 Crn, 40.8 Pav

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: ASET Experts/Novices, Opinion on 56 Tbl, 34.5 Crn, 40.8

That's great. Regarding the price I wondered if (and no one here has mentioned it) the GIA F color is maybe a low F and closer to a G?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

JEJ|1432915393|3882678 said:
pfunk|1432875869|3882575 said:
So does this mean you can indeed find "superideal" stones scattered in virtual inventories? Glad it turned out to be as beautiful as anticipated. I bet it is gorgeous.

I would say you can. What would be nice is if you knew which cutters had the best equipment and had a propensity to produce higher quality cuts on average. Never mind angles and such, just symmetry in the cutting technique. I'm sure this is a closely guarded secret amongst resellers.

SO I didn't concentrate on using the HCA tool. Even though it scores a 1.4, if you look closely, the center of the 'X' on the plotter isn't actually in the right place, if you use a straight edge to make sure it's plotting at the right crown and pavilion angles. The stone has a depth of 61.7, 56 tbl, 34.5 crn, 40.8 pav. (Must be a glitch on 'X' marks the spot with the HCA tool).

What I did do is use AGSL's charts and found a stone that falls right in the middle of their '0' ideal range. Then I figured if the Idealscope and ASET looked okay, then any minor facet average angular difference wouldn't be that noticeable when it came to light performance and looks.

https://www.agslab.com/docs/pbcg/AGSLProportionCharts.pdf

The stone did have a 1.01 roundness, which concerned me, but that '.01' only amounts to .001 of an inch, which is such a minute amount, that if the stone isn't held perfectly square with any measuring device, it could show that amount easily. Like half of the width of a thin piece of paper out of tolerance.

The moral of the story is that I took a virtual selection F VS2 stone into a HOF dealer and compared it to an H Si and the virtual selection looked just as good sparkly wise and better color wise. I could buy 2 or more of these for what they wanted for their HOF stone.

I also have an engineering background...I have a micrometer sitting on my desk as I type. I understand the importance of angular precision and geometry.

I'm sure that if you compared it to a CBI stone, and stared long enough, you could probably point out slight differences. Now in the real world, you put this stone, and it's clean, against a CBI with a minute amount of hand moisturizer or something along those lines, i.e. needs to be cleaned, then I doubt there would be a discernible difference or the virtual would look better.

I am in no way saying this stone is as good as a CBI stone, because it's not. What I am saying is that it's no slouch, as good as a HOF (at least the one I compared it to), and for the price, it's hard to beat.

I agree with you. I think you did a great job finding a really well cut stone at a great price. The fact that it is visually equal to a HOF stone isn't surprising judging by the images. While there are still some really poorly cut diamonds on the market, the vendors specializing in "superideals" aren't the only ones providing really well cut stones. Your diamond is proof of that, and as we begin to see more vendors go through the trouble of making ASET/IS images available for a larger portion of their inventory, we will be able to find these stones more easily. Again, congrats on finding a great stone and hats off to you for putting the work in to find great performance at a great value.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

That was a good find JEJ. Not the norm for sure at that price but none-the-less good job. Of course there are a zillion gemological questions running through my head about it concerning the "why's" but insofar as it's Optical Symmetry is concerned it looks good.

Congrats on your engagement.

All the best,
Rhino

tfmd99

Rough_Rock

Hey JEJ,

I saw this post before I went hunting for a stone, and thought I stumbled upon a sweet find on B2C last night, so I placed an order (on hold for 24 hours). I know my girlfriend is more interested in a larger stone, so I dropped down to an I color. The stone I placed on hold: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6648884-1.82-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=6648884&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

On my thread ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-2ct-how-much-can-i-compromise-on-cut.213600/#p3883623']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-2ct-how-much-can-i-compromise-on-cut.213600/#p3883623[/URL]), some concerns were raised about brown tint, and that B2C has been known to sell some brown tinted stones without disclosing that info. Putting your stone's image side by side next to the one I placed on hold, it's clear yours has less color due to it being an F, but I was wondering if you had noticed any brown tint in yours? Below is a comparison, my stone on the left, yours on the right.
compare_6.jpg

A back and forth exchange between me and B2C over email has them insisting there's no brown tint, and offering to send me a picture of the stone face down by tomorrow so I could see it from the side.

Thanks!

JEJ

Rough_Rock

tfmd99,

So what's the question? The B2C brown tint rumor is garbage. I'm not saying that because I have something worked out with B2C. I've never dealt with them before. That same stone, the one I have, was in everybody else's inventory too. It was 1K more on Blue Nile. Does Blue Nile have a reputation to sell brown tinted stones without disclosure?

Exactly who discloses tint? Nobody. They give a color grade, not all the colors in the grade.

If you buy a stone that's an I color, you're already into the 'tinted' range. Whether it's a yellow tinting yellow, or yellow tinting grey, or yellow tinting brown, it's still tinting some direction.

A J color? Even worse, and K and so on.

Sure, exceptional cut quality, as in the right angles, mask tinting because of white light reflection. Even still, if you have a J color that looks white in the right lighting conditions, you get in a place with less than ideal white light, that sucker is going to rear its head as a J. Maybe a J yellow, yellow grey, yellow brown, but something, because it has 'color'.

That's why I won't fool with an I color, even though HOF will. An H with some florescence, I may consider. If I lived up North, like say in New York, Chicago, etc., then I wouldn't even give florescence a second thought, because those areas never hardly ever see any high UV days, which is when florescence makes a difference. If I lived in the Caribbean, then that'd be another story.

You can get a G (GIA or AGS graded) color and never give it a second thought. I ran across an F and couldn't pass it up.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interesting conversation going on here...

The colour of the tint can have significant impact on face-up appearance, because our eyes don't "see" all hues of the same tone/saturation the same way.
kenny|1382639302|3543847 said:
All four diamonds were graded by GIA or AGS.
From left to right the color grades are G M N M.

You can clearly see the body colors of three different hues, Yellow, Brown, and Gray.
Again these are diamonds graded on GIA's D-Z scale for 'white' diamonds, not on GIA's Fancy Colored Diamond scale since the color does not qualify as "Fancy" per GIA.

Key to this topic is how the hue of the body color affects price within the same color grade.
All other things being equal, yellow is most expensive and will face up whitest of the three, gray is next, and brown is the least expensive, per the GOG video linked above.
Sometimes brown can have pink undertones, a nice bonus.

Kudos to Jonathan for this lesson. (...Jon @GOG)

This thread started by James Allen has more discussion on brown/yellow specifically: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-many-h-i-j-k-diamonds-are-brown-and-do-you-care.184489/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-many-h-i-j-k-diamonds-are-brown-and-do-you-care.184489/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results