carat
color
clarity

Art Deco Ring...the story.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This needs a thread all its own.

I am on a Facebook group for vintage jewelry and I posted photos of the ring and one of the group members told me that the ring was her grandfather's design and of his manufacture. Here is what she said:

"My grandpa was the pre-eminent jeweler to Poland. He escaped WW1 and got to England. Later on opened a jewelry business on Canal Street in New York. The building is still standing. The molds on these fabulous items I own. No one including Cartier could make the items. I never met my grandpa and his work in in all the books on jewelry no accolades or names. I have the stones too. When I bought the assets from my family 36 years ago they shipped it terrible and 100,000 stones were damaged! Nothing I could do I paid for them.
When he died he left some finished items for the family. I wore a green camphor necklace forever! Then my dad copied it and I never got it back. My father apprenticed under my mom's dad and he kept the business going for 14 years or so. They they had trouble with copy cats. He didn't have a patent on my grandpa's design for long only a couple of years. My dad went to court twice but copy cats continued. He past over 4 decades ago. Feel free to reach out if you have more questions. Is your item 14k or sterling?'

And there you have it. Sometimes life is serendipitous! What if I had not posted the ring on that FB group??
IMG_0171.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This needs a thread all its own.

I am on a Facebook group for vintage jewelry and I posted photos of the ring and one of the group members told me that the ring was her grandfather's design and of his manufacture. Here is what she said:

"My grandpa was the pre-eminent jeweler to Poland. He escaped WW1 and got to England. Later on opened a jewelry business on Canal Street in New York. The building is still standing. The molds on these fabulous items I own. No one including Cartier could make the items. I never met my grandpa and his work in in all the books on jewelry no accolades or names. I have the stones too. When I bought the assets from my family 36 years ago they shipped it terrible and 100,000 stones were damaged! Nothing I could do I paid for them.
When he died he left some finished items for the family. I wore a green camphor necklace forever! Then my dad copied it and I never got it back. My father apprenticed under my mom's dad and he kept the business going for 14 years or so. They they had trouble with copy cats. He didn't have a patent on my grandpa's design for long only a couple of years. My dad went to court twice but copy cats continued. He past over 4 decades ago. Feel free to reach out if you have more questions. Is your item 14k or sterling?'

And there you have it. Sometimes life is serendipitous! What if I had not posted the ring on that FB group??
IMG_0171.jpg

That's a great story, Loretta! Did she ever mention the name of her grandfather?
I love the little bows!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's a great story, Loretta! Did she ever mention the name of her grandfather?
I love the little bows!

No, but I'm going to message her privately and ask her. I did ask about the center being a synthetic stone, or......?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems and @Mreader
I don't mind at all...."Vintage Jewelry Appreciation (no sales)" They have a lot of costume jewelry, which I never turn my nose up at because costume jewelry back then was well made and then they have quite a bit of nice antique jewelry. I enjoy looking at it and learn at the same time.

Great, thanks. I love that type of stuff too

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results