shape
carat
color
clarity

Are your buying your fiance''s wedding band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Are you and your fiance picking out his wedding band together, or are you picking it for him by yourself?

I asked my fiance if he wants to go look at wedding bands. He said, "Do I have to? Why don''t you just pick one for me?" LOL Sort of like how I picked my own engagement ring, and the first time he even saw it was to write the check to pay for it. Some men have zero patience for this stuff.
20.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I am guessing/assuming that my df will want input in his wedding band. Though he is aware of how that is coupled with HATING shopping of any sort. (maybe sword shopping, i think he enjoyed that a lot). Anywhoo...in terms of payment, I expect to pay for his ring, and him to pay for mine. Alternatively, if we end up choosing our rings in the same place I can imagine him paying for everything (for the time being he out-earns me by a gagillion).

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
We're going to go shopping together, just in case he turns out to have a preference, but I'm guessing it won't take long
2.gif
We're also paying for each others' (they're about the same price, but I like the sentiment of giving it to each other as a gift).

Even if he says he wants you to pick, I'd probably take him to try it on before you buy (just in case it isn't comfortable, he doesn't like the way it looks, to get the size right etc).

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
When the time came, my husband asked me to pick his out. Once I found one that I thought he would like, it took him to look at it to make sure.

LOL, I think most guys really don''t care about rings!!!

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
I just recently ordered his wedding band with his approval. I was surprised that he actually had somewhat of an opinion about his ring. One thing he was adamant about was that the band not be too thin which I agreed. He's tall and so didn't want to go less than a 7 mm. Aside from that, he's pretty low-maintenance.

EDIT: I did the research like a fellow poster, then brought him a few choices based on his metal preference and he picked.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I am buying his wedding band. He couldn''t have been less excited about in the beginning. We went to a jewelry store and he''d look at the rings and say "meh. They''re okay I guess." I''d get him to try one on, and he''d pull it off within 10 seconds. It was like they were burning his skin!

The saleswoman walked away for a minute and I had to have a heart to heart with him. I basically told him that as unexcited as he was about his own wedding band, he''s going to be wearing this thing for the rest of his life so he''d better take it seriously and pick something he actually likes. By the time the saleswoman came back he finally decided to start giving input so we found some bands that interested him.

We ended up buying one of his bands a couple weeks ago. He decided that he wanted TWO bands. One for when we travel internationally or when he goes on hunting/fishing trips and one for everyday. The everyday band will have some diamonds in it and I''m hoping to have it made by BGD.

Woah, sorry for rambling. But yes, I am buying it. And yes, he was being kind of punk about it in the beginning.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
oh boy...this was a TOUCHY subject here. my husband was very picky, since he had never in his life worn a ring before. you would think the metal was going to make his finger fall off he wanted the plainest and lightest ring you could find. he tried on a bunch and said, "my finger is suffocating."

we went to a jewelry store that was going out of business, where he found a very very simply titanium ring. a whopping $30. he actually had to buy 2, since he didn''t understand how they were supposed to fit and a few weeks after the wedding and getting used to it, he realized that it was more uncomfortable if it was constantly spinning and falling off. he lost it in the pool on the honeymoon, but after lots of looking, a nice gentleman found it.

and i didn''t even end up buying it! i was too busy looking at other sparklies since the store had everything reduced, so he just took care of it!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
My FI wants a simple yellow gold comfort fit band and won''t have anything else. When it gets closer to our wedding date we will go out looking. I am planning on buying it for him.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
My DH thought he wanted a pain band, something wide and not to girly
20.gif
but he didn't really know there were any other options:-0 I had thought long and hard about what he wanted and suggested titanium with makume gane inlay he had never heard of either, loved the idea, and loved his ring:)

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
My FI doesn''t actually want one at all... but I''m sure I will buy whatever it is we end up buying even if he only wears it for the wedding day. We shall see...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FI chose his own band, I bought it. I spent most of the time astounded by how little he cared about the details of this ring - that he'll be wearing and looking at every day for the rest of his life!
23.gif

He originally wanted the cheapest white metal band he could find, around 4mm (he suggested silver, that didn't fly, I suggested something with baguettes, that didn't fly...) He wound up choosing a plain 6mm palladium ring, brushed finish.

Men are truly bizarre sometimes!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
FI enjoyed picking out his band as my Christmas gift to him this year. I bought him an Artcarved 14k WG band with milgraining and a hammered finish. I took him out on two separate days to look at rings and he ended up trying on a whole bunch of different styles and widths. We also compared prices online. He really seemed to consider his choice carefully and decided on his own that he wanted milgraining on his ring to match my e-ring (awww). I even pushed him to get a more expensive ring because he liked it better than a cheaper one he tried on - I told him I wanted him to get something he would be comfortable and happy wearing daily.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I did purchase his band but it all sort of came out in the wash in the end with budgeting and whatnot. We live together so a lot of our money was combined at this point.

He was a little tough at first with the selection but didnt fight me too much on the shopping. Perhaps it was because we had such limited time!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I bought DH''s wedding band, but he picked what he wanted after I forced him to try on a bunch. He actually ended up being pickier than he thought he would be. His ring is a plain, 7-millimeter, domed, comfort-fit tungsten band.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
My FI was actually really into shopping for his ring. I wanted to get him something with some diamonds on it, he refused. He wanted something plain, I refused. We finally went into a store that was liquidating and found one that we compromised on. It''s 14k wg brushed band and I bought it. It took 6 trips to different jewelers, and 100s of pictures online to find one he actually liked! I guess my guy fully realized that this ring will be on his finger forever and he might as well like it!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2010 5:29:48 PM
Author: charbie
he tried on a bunch and said, ''my finger is suffocating.''

Hahaha! Oh Charbie, I think you must be a saint to let that comment roll by...

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
My fiance wears absolutely no jewelry (I can barely get him to wear a watch), so shopping for a band has been a bit challenging. This weekend he tried on some plain platinum bands and has decided that the only one he could stand is a 4 mm comfort band, which is the one I will buy for him. His "comfort and fit test" consisted of him shaking his hand so hard that he ended up flinging the ring he had on across the room. Needless to say we decided that a half size down was probably a good idea.
20.gif
Thankfully, none of the SAs kicked us out of the store for "throwing" the merchandise around.

pinki

Shiny_Rock
My fiance picked his own ring out in a store, but I ended up buying it online at overstock.com at a fourth of the price. He gave me a bit of a hard time because he spent more on my ring than we''re spending on the wedding, but then I reminded him he''s a blue collar worker AND a hobbyist mechanic and we''ll probably go through many rings for him. He agreed and stopped complaining.
emwink.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
DH picked his own ring, but I helped
9.gif
I basically talked him into tungsten because I thought he would really like it and then I found a few websites that made them and could engrave on the inside (this was important to me because I wanted our wedding date engraved on both of our bands). From that point, he went over the websites until he found a band he really liked.

eta: Our accounts were mostly combined by that point, so we both paid for both rings. They actually ended up being around the same price - mine was a small plain platinum band while he had to get two tungsten rings (because the first was a bit big). They gave him half price off the second ring (and they're cheap in the first place) but I still tease him that he had to be so high maintenance and get two rings
3.gif

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
He picked his out with some (okay, a lot of) nudging from me, then I paid for it.

At first he couldn''t decide if he wanted an Art Nouveau vintage/antique piece, a custom engraved ring, or a plain gold band. Waffled and waffled on this for so long that it ended up being the last option just because I ran out of time to arrange the other two.
20.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We picked out DH''s band together, but he paid for it at the jeweler. I was going to ''reimburse'' him with my own money, but then we got married 4 weeks later and that sort of fell by the wayside as it''s ''our'' money now and it''s all pooled together.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Both of our bands came out of the same money pot, and he was picky about the weight of the ring so he definitely needed to make the choice since it was his to wear.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I told FI his wedding band was entirely up to him and just to let me know what he wanted. He dutifully logged onto pricescope and went through the ENTIRE men''s rings eyecandy folder and showed me the one he liked (so cute). It''ll be a 5mm, shiny platinum comfort-fit with milgrained edges. What I didn''t tell him, because I didn''t want to influence his decision, is that I want our wedding bands to match so I will be getting the same in a 2mm.
2.gif
It''s actually exactly what I wanted for myself so I''m thrillsville.

beltane

Shiny_Rock
We went shopping for his ring together. He prefers yellow gold and I was surprised that he ended up choosing a ring with diamonds in it!

Part of me is a little sad that our bands don''t match... I always imagined we would have matching bands, or at least bands that look like they belong together. However I don''t want yellow gold, and he doesn''t like white.

On the other hand, I''m glad that we both have the rings we love. However I am already shuddering at the thought of how silly any photo of our rings together (you know the kind that the photographer always does with them laying on top of the invitation or on the ring bearer''s pillow) are going to look. I don''t think they could look MORE different. My diamonds are princess in white gold, and his is yellow gold, round diamonds, and has some brushed detail on it.

Oh well... there''s bigger things to pout about...

Oh... and I definitely paid for his ring.

pinki

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 5:22:35 PM
Author: beltane
We went shopping for his ring together. He prefers yellow gold and I was surprised that he ended up choosing a ring with diamonds in it!

Part of me is a little sad that our bands don''t match... I always imagined we would have matching bands, or at least bands that look like they belong together. However I don''t want yellow gold, and he doesn''t like white.

On the other hand, I''m glad that we both have the rings we love. However I am already shuddering at the thought of how silly any photo of our rings together (you know the kind that the photographer always does with them laying on top of the invitation or on the ring bearer''s pillow) are going to look. I don''t think they could look MORE different. My diamonds are princess in white gold, and his is yellow gold, round diamonds, and has some brushed detail on it.

Oh well... there''s bigger things to pout about...

Oh... and I definitely paid for his ring.

Ours won''t match at all either, but we won''t be doing the hand/ring pics...his hands are always BLACK from working on cars it would be the ugliest pics on the planet!!! Hehehe...Don''t worry about it, you can just get really great photog. pics of your gorgeous ring! Hehehe!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 12:31:55 PM
Author: mayachel

Date: 1/17/2010 5:29:48 PM
Author: charbie
he tried on a bunch and said, ''my finger is suffocating.''

Hahaha! Oh Charbie, I think you must be a saint to let that comment roll by...
haha! it took him quite a while to get used to it. it was always a bit of a joke- he would actually ask if he could take it off for a bit so his finger could "breathe"-
20.gif

he got a rash afer a few days of wearing it bc it got wet underneath and caused some rubbing. he claimed his finger must be rejecting the ring.

he has since gotten used to it and actually has not taken it off, he said it is more uncomfortable without it now!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
some of these guys are just too funny!
20.gif

FI was actually all into it. HE wanted to make sure he absolutely loved it- but- he was very shy when it came to trying on rings. He loved the gunmetal color of some of the tungsten rings, but he also liked some very manly Scott Kay designs- huge price difference though. I told him to get what he desired, because it''s probably the only piece of jewelry he''ll ever wear and it''s representing a very special part of our lives. He decided on tungsten and thought he was going to buy it ''eventually.'' Well, I was too excited for him to wait until a month before the wedding to get one, so I bought him a black tungsten 6mm comfort fit ring. Surprise!
31.gif
He loves it and hasn''t taken it off since. Kind of funny, even though we aren''t married yet, both of us wear our bands
12.gif

Miya03

Shiny_Rock
FI and I went together to pick out rings. He was pretty quick, settling on a tungsten band, and yes, I am paying for it--but he's paying for mine too.

Interesting to note: we live in the South where it tends to be pretty warm. During this summer he was sized at a size 7, but the other day when we had a cold streak he was a 6.5. The saleslady told us to wait until it warmed up to settle on a size, since we can't resize tungsten...thought that was an interesting suggestion in case anyone else has had this problem.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Wedding band shopping with DH was a dream. I knew I wanted a rose gold band from Tiffany''s and I said I would love it if he got rose gold too so we could match but I understood if he wasn''t into it. He went to the website and saw one he loved, so we went to the story tried on a few and then went with the one he originally liked online in rose gold. No muss no fuss. Since we already had joint accounts we paid for our rings together. Honestly I would''ve been really hurt if DH didn''t want to pick out his own ring it''s something he wearing for the rest of his life and he should show an interest not just pass the job onto me.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
We will definitely be going shopping together, FI is picky. We will pay for the bands out of joint money, since our finances are already joined
21.gif
But yes, I''d pay for his band if our finances weren''t.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results