shape
carat
color
clarity

are you planning on keeping the patina on your platinum rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i haven''t had my e-ring setting for very long, but i''ve been debating whether i should have it polished or not for my upcoming wedding, i notice that it is slowly developing very minor scratches on the underside, when i first picked up my setting, ari at singlestone told me it would develop a personality of its own within one to two years, i''m thinking he meant the patina

with this in mind, how many of you actually love the patina and have no intention of polishing your platinum rings ever?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
The very first scratch I got - - it was hard to accept. Boo-hoo, it wasn''t new anymore.
9.gif

My wedding ring is 18WG though, and it wears much more quickly than my E-ring. Perpetually polishing the platinum would make them look odd together I think.

So, no. I have no intention of polishing my E-ring on a regular basis. Really, I kinda like the patina.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
When I first got my grandma''s wedding set, it was totally dark grey (I didn''t even realize it was platinum at first). I did have the wedding band polished (I wear it as a RHR sometimes), but now I''m going to leave it and let it get grey again because it was pretty cool.

I do get my ering polished fairly often because I like it when it''s bright and shiney. For now, I live 5 minutes away from my jewelry store and I can just pop in, but maybe over the years I''ll get lazy about it and just let it go.

I think I like patina on antique pieces, but because my ering is a more clean lined modern piece, it just doesn''t seem to fit as well.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
HollyS, i felt exactly the same way, i was ok with the teeny tiny scratches, but i noticed a bigger one recently and moped a little, but i''m learning to accept it, i just wanted to see what other PSers thought, especially those who have had their rings for much longer than myself
2.gif

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
I just had my ering polished for my wedding next weekend... only because I wanted it to match my wedding band. After that though, I''ll probably not polish them. I like the patina, and I always manage to scratch mine way too quickly anyway so the polish doesn''t last long!

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
elrohwen, you bring up a good point, perhaps the patina doesn''t suit all platinum pieces, that''s so cool to have both your ering and your grandma''s to wear
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a sleek high polish platinum ring, and I have the scratches buffed out every year or so. I love the mirror-like finish.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
i''m with fly girl. i prefer a shiny, mirror-like finish. i have my ring polished once or twice a year.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 6:13:13 PM
Author: musincy
I just had my ering polished for my wedding next weekend... only because I wanted it to match my wedding band. After that though, I''ll probably not polish them. I like the patina, and I always manage to scratch mine way too quickly anyway so the polish doesn''t last long!

Ditto (although my wedding isn''t nearly so soon!). One of the scratches on my e-ring is actually pretty major, so it will be nice to get it buffed out, although it hasn''t bothered me enough to do it yet.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
hmm... tough choice after reading the responses, the ocd side of me wants it polished often for the shiny-ness, but the realistic side knows that as soon as i get it polished, i''ll get fresh scratches on it
3.gif

i did decide to go with an antique-y setting, so i think i will see if i can get used to the patina, if not, straight to polishing it goes
3.gif

thank you everyone for your responses
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results