shape
carat
color
clarity

are you more color blind or clarity blind?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
on a well cut 2-3ct rb view from top. is it cheaper to be color or clarity blind?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is cheaper to be more clarity blind than color blind. clarity impacts price more than color.

what are you up to df?
27.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clarity. That was easy. Yeah what are you up to??? Something for yourself?? Hehe
31.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
It''s cheaper to be deaf to "I want an upgrade Honey!"

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 12:01:22 PM
Author: Pricescope
It''s cheaper to be deaf to ''I want an upgrade Honey!''
Good one, Lol!!!!
9.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
My 4.10 carat SI 2 is eye clean. I cannot find the imperfections without a loupe.
I feel, as Mara does, that I do not want to pay for what I cannot see.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I think that I am indeed color blind. Clarity would bug me more, so it absolutely would have to be eyeclean for me.

I had two stones in my hands for three or four days #1 F, #2 I. Both superideal hearts and arrows. Both set. I could not tell the difference, and believe me I looked. Ergo, I know I must be color blind.

shay

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
its cheaper just not have ANY money... tee hee.

for me i am more clarity blind than color. not sure which is cheaper persay.

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
Darn my eyesight. I am color and clarity sensative,lol

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Clarity blind. Easier to overlook an inclusion (assuming it''s not some huge, black thing) than an obviously warm diamond.

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
I''d have to say clarity blind. It''s harder for me to spot inclusions, But I can tell a D from an G from across the room.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I have had to teach myself AND my husband to become clarity blind. In previous diamond purchases he would consider nothing below VVS2. But we now believe the cost of the higher clarity does not warrant it. Lower color diamonds are beautiful, I have an "I" in my wedding ring and we just purchased an "H" 1.51 radiant. Now, if we won the lottery, well then, that would be a different story entirely! Nothing but D,E,F IF to VVS1''s then!
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have very good eye sight.

I wonder if anyone with at least as good eye sight could tell E form D and VS2 from IF. Is that being 'bliend'?

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
This is the same thing I''m going through right now with the emerald cut. I don''t really notice color that much unless it''s so dark or warm that you can tell it from across the room, but when it comes to clarity It seems like if there is something there that don''t take a 30x loupe but something small that can be seen by the eye I will find it or put my eyes out until I do. But I have to at least have eyeclean!!!
emotion-5.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Each Color step up is more expensive than each Clarity step up.

I can see clarity easier than color when the color gets to D,E,F,G, below this I can see color.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I guess I'm clarity sensitive.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
10.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
When I was looking to buy a diamond, it seemed like color definitely trumped clarity when it came to price. Higher colors with SIs were more expensive than lower colors with VVS or even higher. Maybe it depends on whatever the market will bear at any given time as in, for instance,flourescence. At one time it came with a premium, now it''s discounted. Given the choice, I''d rather live with color than inclusions. But given the choice of having anything I wanted...FGH IF would def be my sweet spot.
36.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I''m more color blind, than clarity blind. Partly because I don''t notice color as much, and partly because I actually like a slightly ''warm'' look. But I am sensitive to clarity. That ''eyeclean == not visible from 12" away'' thing just does not work for me. I want eyeclean from three inches away with my reading glasses.
9.gif
(which I only wear to reduce eyestrain from the computer and correct a minor stigmatism, I have very good close-up vision). Actually, part of me wants eyeclean with a loupe when set! ... ok most of me but budget and all that.

I don''t know about 2-3 carat stones but in the under 1 carat range, that I spend a huge amount of time trolling through
31.gif
, I find that color jumps cost more than clarity jumps. A D SI is a fair amount more expensive than a J VVS the same size and cut quality. So I guess my beloved is lucky, huh?
2.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a color snob, but don''t care much about clarity.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2006 12:01:22 PM
Author: Pricescope
It''s cheaper to be deaf to ''I want an upgrade Honey!''
LOL....all the guys should keep that one in mind.

lillei

Rough_Rock
I guess I''d have to say that I''m clarity blind...or clarity tolerant, rather. Unless the flaw is some huge obvious thing, apparent from a normal view, I don''t really care about the clarity. To me, I feel that anyone can see the color at a glance, and in my setting especially, I know that a yellow color would bother me because of the contrast, as I have a thick wg band.

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
clarity sensitive...want to look really hard to find imperfections under a loop. more blind to a warmer stone with an ideal or super ideal cut, esp if it has some flouro.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I''m definitely more clarity blind well unless ofcourse it''s a big, black inclusion lol. But give me a SI2 anyday (thus why I''m the proud owner of 2 lol). I''m very color sensitive. After G/H I pretty much see all the warmness in the rest.

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
Generally I''m more clarity blind. It''s a lot easier for me to tell the difference between warm and icy whites, than to find inclusions in a super sparkly stone. But I haven''t had the chance to compare ideal cut 2-3ct RB in a range of colors and clarities, so I can''t say for sure.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/14/2006 11:30:19 AM
Author:Dancing Fire
on a well cut 2-3ct rb view from top. is it cheaper to be color or clarity blind?
YIKES!! I better NOT be color or clarity blind.
very very bad for an appraiser
5.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I would say I am more color blind than clarity blind. If I spotted an inclusion on my diamond, it would definitely bug me more than if I thought the diamond looked a little more yellow.
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
definitely clarity- so long as it''s eye-clean... it doesn''t matter. I am much more picky about color.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait minute!

This matter needs a poll, doesn't it?

It can't be the same to choose between two diamonds - one clearly tinted but clean and one clearly not clean looking but white, as between a few that are marginally whiter or cleaner on paper (or in your eyes), but not 'bad' on either count.
34.gif

Judging from price stats, there is a 'price jump' in either color or clarity at some point down the scale. I'd take that as a popular vote of confidence that at that grade things start to show for the average human looking at the average diamond.

- for clarity, the big jump is I1.

- for color? didn't check.

Who knows where Pricescope's tolerance ends.
19.gif

Mine? Don't know... it feels weird to talk about these factors separately when they always show mixed up in the appearance of a diamond. I'd probably consider shape, size and brilliance before worrying about what the grades and the price might be.

IMO, there's a good reason to pair higher color with lower clarity when starting to look for rocks: color is standardized more than clarity. I.e. between two VS2 -I1 diamonds, one can be below your 'eye clean' threshold and one above - you never know. No such bonus with the color.

This, leaving aside any consideration of whatever symbolic meaning these grades might have beyond their looks. In that regard, to each his own - there's a different 'diamond religion' in each neighbourhood. Keeping an open mind pays, IMO.
31.gif

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
it most likely does need a poll, but it''s that similar to the ''which order would you rate the 4 "C"s thread?

IMHO, I''m neither color nor clarity blind. I don''t like knowing I''m buying something that has bunches of inclusions, even if I can''t see them without a microscope...so I don''t go below VVS2.

I can SEE the difference between E and G, so I don''t go below E-F.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results