shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you living THE life?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I have been contemplating a bit as i had to attend a couple of funerals in the last few months; and I ask myself, am i really living THE life?

I have a great career that affords me to be a part time dad to my 2.5yo daughter, expecting our second daughter in 2 months, living in a beautiful home, a partner that loves both(+1) of us...

Upon reflection, i think i AM living THE life..... If i passed away tomorrow ( i am 42 now), i would be deeply saddened not see the birth of our second daughter, our daughters grow up, go to school, graduate, get married and so on..... But, really, i have IT great!

I guess I am really thankful that i have managed to achieve most goals, if not ALL i had wanted to by the time i was 40. That is not to say, there are always other new challenges and therefore new goals.. But for now, things are just great.....

I am not asking for ppl to comment more or less on this topic but, i just had to share, not in a gloating kinda way, but as (i guess) an affirmation for who i am and where i am at this present moment in my life.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for your recent losses…. but WAIT, GREGGY! You two are expecting another daughter?! :!: :!: :?: :?: :?:
Can you tell my excitement for you?!?!?!?!? :appl: :appl:

You really are living THE life--- You radiate happiness and sunshine in even the posts you type! You, your husband, your daughter… I remember first seeing your old icon and wishing I could blow it up larger to see your smile and squinty happiness eyes (and of course to "d'aww" at your daughter!).

You are one helluva lucky gentleman, Greg. Not many people can afford to spend time with their families anymore AND work. In fact, not many people can afford families anymore ;)) You are part of an absolutely beautiful family that I would love to hear more about. I remember you mentioning your photo was part of a magazine?

To join you in your title and topic, I am living THE life as much as I can, but my life has yet really started. I am hoping in 5 years, I will be just as comfortable with where I am in life as you are. I'm not ready to go! I still need to finish my education, make a difference in at least 100 people's lives, visit grandma once a week, get married, and have my own children :!: :!: Something I really really want.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Hi Greg,
I'm so happy to hear about you living THE life, and and thank you sharing it with us. I count my blessings everyday, and I too think I'm living THE life. I have a wonderful husband, both of us are advanced enough in our careers where we are able to have flexibility to spend time with our 2 kids(boy and girl), and we live in our ideal neighborhood, and have wonderful family and friends. Sometimes I feel like I have to pinch myself to see if is all real. LIFE IS GOOD at 40!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
90% there. I still need to find my dream home. Other than that, I will get no peace until I pass my last set of exams and get a permanent consultant post, but this is something i just have to keep slogging at. Everything else, I'm very happy with (no kids planned!) especially as I'm currently enjoying my sabbatical!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting topic Greg.

THE life?
The definition of THE can and should vary with the individual.
One person's THE is another person's nightmare.
For instance I do not want children, or a perfect house, or many people in my life.

I used to think of THE as many others do, financial security, health.
My THE has changed a great deal now that I'm older and had a bout with cancer.
Today I more value inner peace with myself and with others.
Indicators of success that others can see matter less and less to me now.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contact with my SO's very poor family has drastically changed me.
They are the happiest people I have ever encountered.
I know many wealthy people who are miserable.

This resulted in me reevaluating my definition of THE life.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I'm living THE life, but I'm certainly living MY life.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And to answer your question, you seem to be living YOUR life, which is a beautiful thing. Good for you!

(For some reason the first part of my post posted before I could finish, and now it won't let me edit... ? I guess I'm not living much of a technically savvy life, LOL.)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you! And congrats on waiting the new arrival :appl:

I think I am very lucky in my life, even though it sometimes hasn't felt it. A loving upbringing, lots of funds & time to travel / live overseas, meeting my DREAMY husband & delivering 2 healthy daughters against the odds, because I have blood clotting disease that makes anything short of a visit to the dentist high risk :D

I would love a bigger house, but it will come in time. I gave up working when I had my first child & have never gone back - I am at home raising my young family & although I never wanted babies, I am in a very lucky position. In my own eyes, I am living THE life, but there are a few more things to be ticked off my list before I'd be happy to leave. I hugely want to see my young babies happy, healthy & married for starters. And I want to visit the Maldives. I have travel led extensively but never managed to get there. Oh, and I NEED to see Robbie Williams in concert :sun:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Greg on the upcoming birth of your second daughter!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
And also in being happy and at peace with where you are in life.

I agree that I feel my dh and I are living THE life as you put it. I am so thankful to be where we are right now. Happy and pretty much at peace (as much at peace as a worrier like me could ever be that is lol). We are both closer to the end of our careers than the beginning and we have 2 dream homes which we enjoy to the very fullest. We get to do what we love doing with each other. We have the time to enjoy our hobbies and each other and our loved ones and right now life is good.

We have had health scares/concerns/tragedies/death/ along the way and that just makes each day more precious. We have the ability to put it all in perspective and truly not sweat the small stuff. Well, that's more my change than my dh's because he never was one to sweat the small stuff anyway. That was all me haha. Anyway, I am content, happy and very much loving my life and so is my dh.

Money has little to do with happiness as long as one has enough to live comfortably and ofc that definition varies with each individual/couple/family. So I feel fortunate that we have enough to live comfortably by our standards so with that aside we are truly happy independent of money. And to agree with Kenny true peace comes from within despite all external circumstances and to be at peace is very valuable and goes a long way in quality of life. One of my favorite quotes: “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..” ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
"Life is what happens while you're making plans."

I don't know who said it, although it seems a rather famous quote. It certainly sums up the level of control we have in our lives turning out exactly as we plan.

Life is what we do in the face of obstacles, disappointments, tragedies, great joys, wondrous moments and seemingly impossible triumphs. As the bumper sticker says: "Sh*t Happens". How we deal with it all creates a life worth living . . . or a life wasted and ravaged.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1370818085|3462304 said:
"Life is what happens while you're making plans."

I don't know who said it, although it seems a rather famous quote.

John Lennon, in the song "Beautiful Boy."

Congratulations on where you are in your life, Greg, and on the upcoming addition to your family!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I agree, interesting topic!

I have to say that I honestly don't have any other goals that have yet to be achieved. I'd *like* to probably buy a house, but not until I retire so it could be 30 years from now! I don't want kids, I'm happy with my job, I love my husband. If I died tomorrow, I can honestly say I wanted for nothing.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1370803357|3462166 said:
I don't know if I'm living THE life, but I'm certainly living MY life.

I pretty much agree. Am I happy? Yes! I desperately love my husband and children. They are my life. If I should die tomorrow I would be fine knowing what I had and how much love I gave them. However, if anything were to happen to them my life would pretty much be destroyed.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to think living "THE" life was about getting to a certain point of financial comfort, having a family etc. As I get older I am finding it is not about "THE" life in capitals as some ideal, life throws us all curveballs, we get sick, people die, accidents happen, people lose their jobs, all sorts of things occur, I think it's about living the best life you can with what you have. A famous Aussie counsellor describes life as a tapestry with all sorts of colours and parts to it, its the way we interact with those parts that makes or breaks us.

Happiness is about appreciating what you have at the time, and doing our best to give our time, a helping hand or whatever to others, to our kids, to random people we meet. A smile, a thoughtful gesture, helping our kids school, helping a family member or friend, or participating in the community in some positive way can help us weave a more peaceful path in that tapestry....

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I think what I mean is I've got the cake, I just want a bit more icing!

(Icing in this case may or may not refer to diamonds...)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad life is good! Congrats on the kiddos! Kids are really wonderful; I am grateful for mine everyday!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course!... ;)) all PSers are living the life style of rich and famous, look at all them diamonds on the SMTB thread... :bigsmile:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hey hey,

I am so glad to read that most of you guys have/ are living the life that you want to.

And that brings me to the next question, yes it is a bit morbid but:

Have have you got your Will/ Estate sorted such that if you fell off the perch tomorrow, someone knows where your will is and it is up to date?

We are lucky and got it all sorted prior to the journey of being parents a second time.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1370872424|3462607 said:
Hey hey,

I am so glad to read that most of you guys have/ are living the life that you want to.

And that brings me to the next question, yes it is a bit morbid but:

Have have you got your Will/ Estate sorted such that if you fell off the perch tomorrow, someone knows where your will is and it is up to date?

We are lucky and got it all sorted prior to the journey of being parents a second time.

Congratulations! Glad to hear you are happy and expecting another girl soon!

Yes we have wills, powers of attorney, life insurance, etc up to date and in a location that is known to those who would need them.

If I died tomorrow, I would feel like I'd missed out on lots of stuff that matters to me. I am living life and, mostly, enjoy it. School is stressful but I am learning much and have an amazingly supportive FI at home. I don't have a career yet, but getting there is half the fun! Okay... or at least it is a big part of forming me and my life and I'd hate to miss out on this part. Our wedding is in October so even though we are happy anyway, i am really excited to finally be getting married.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but my cat certainly is! :cheeky:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have loved a lot of these responses. PSers are a witty group :)

I feel like I've achieved many (not all) of my life goals, but now I'm trying to shift my mentality to enjoying each moment more. I would like to be less stressed and have more fun. Turns out, it's difficult.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results