shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you in credit card debt?

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
NEL, I really enjoy reading your posts, they are always really inspirational for me. It's difficult, because we are young, and the people around us (in some instances, even the much older ones!), aren't interested in saving money, so I don't have anyone to talk to about this, except DH. I can relate to a lot of your post (losing momentum when an emergency strikes, needing more than a $1k emergency fund, etc). It's really nice to hear from you, and the other PS'ers in this thread, and not feel like I'm "alone" in wanting to save money and be more financially responsible.

ETA: I don't think my husband even has a "security gland"! But I've got a big one, so I guess I make up for both of us :bigsmile:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I really enjoy reading about people's stories, too. And I think it's great that you're focused and aware at such a young age, Lilyfoot. That alone is going to take you very far. It's the same reason I still listen to Dave Ramsey when I can. It's not that I still need the advice--in fact 95% of the time I know what he's going to say. But I like to hear people's stories. It inspires me when people achieve their long-term goals and I like to be inspired to make those extra payments on our mortgage :)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Ditto "learning the hard way." I'm very proud to be in no current cc debt because we royally screwed our finances years ago (oddly, not from cc's) We learned what NOT to do, made our priorities and stuck with a plan. We even managed to stay out of debt during DH's almost year long unemployment. It's not easy to do and I think everyone who manages to get their finances under control should be proud of themselves. I think financial responsibility is the hardest thing to learn.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Part Gypsy -- I definitely think there should be a personal finance class for kids in high school, and even one for college students. I know I could have benefited from one. I'm sure my parents must have had a talk with me about credit card responsiblity but I don't remember it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks TGal, Haven, and NEL! I appreciate the tips and words of advice. I definitely think it's important to live within your means, and it drives me crazy to see people spend more than they can really afford on something frivolous.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe said:
Part Gypsy -- I definitely think there should be a personal finance class for kids in high school, and even one for college students. I know I could have benefited from one. I'm sure my parents must have had a talk with me about credit card responsiblity but I don't remember it.

I completely agree. I learned a lot about finances from my mom (even though I went on to screw up ..), but I was always so shocked by how little everyone my age knew about it, through high school and after.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results