shape
carat
color
clarity

are you a collector?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just thought of this when I was reading Freke''s thread about shoes, many of them jewel toned and silver or metallic colored.

I like and collect gemstones, but it is a relatively recent thing.

I know I have been fascinated with jewelry for a long time, looking in my grandmother''s multiple cases of costume jewelry, and as a child could spend hours organizing my mother''s jewelry.

However to think of it I''ve always liked collecting on a small scale, such as shells, small books, and old postcards.

My mother tells me that when she was young she was fascinated by ornamental stuff, in the sense that her great aunt had fancy wear and costumes that was in a steamer trunk that she loved to look through, and an ancestor made stained glass windows, and had a case of smooth glass pieces in all beautiful jewel toned colors, and she loved to pretend they were jewels and play with them.

Do any of you diamond and gemstone lovers collect other things? If so, what are they, and do you think it is somehow related?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I collect everything! I go through stages where I buy a lot of a particular item. I do it with clothes, shoes, handbags, necklaces, books, cool Japanese toys, etc. I''ll get one of something that I love, and then I''ll have to get more and more. Then I pretty much get over it and move on to something else.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have far too many collections depending on the latest obsession, here''s some of them:

- FOSSILS

- MINERALS

- GEMSTONES

- CLAY TOBACCO PIPES

- BOOKS ON KNITTING/EMBROIDERY/TAPESTRY - I have a HUGE number

- OLD-FASHIONED ROSES - books and plants

- SWIZZLE STICKS - antique & new, silver, glass etc

- NETSUKE & OJIMI - all rats

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Besides my jewelry collection, I love handbags, lipsticks and perfume. I recently developed an unfortunate obsession with Hermes bags.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock

I have a few collections but not allot. I can not stand stuff every where.

Things I do collect
Old glass soda containers
Indian artifacts
World War 2 memorabilia and books (my uncle was in one of the groups that liberated Buchenwald and Dachau)

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
I actually have quite an extensive collection of beer bottles that started when I was in college. I find that beer bottles are a really cheap souvenir I can take from just about any place I visit, so I have bottles from all over the country and I get at least one new one every time I travel.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting, keep ''em coming. I wonder if pricescopers are average or above average in number, amount of collecting. Is everyone a collector of something?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
perfume. miniature perfume bottles, specifically.

i have an unreasonable amount.
28.gif
but, they are all neatly displayed in one large vertical glass case.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I have always collected something...recieved my first piece of jewelry when i was 7 and started the collecting since i was twelve and havent looked back...but i also have collected other things as well...
1- jewelry
2-American Indian Art...jewelry,baskets,rugs,paintings,drawings,books
3-American art pottery from the 1970s
4-boxes...I no longer collect...But collected every type of box...music boxes,jewelry boxes,handmade wooded boxes and tin boxes both antique and replica.
5-Watches
6-ties
7-brief cases and backpacks...stopped collecting after i seriously considered a $3,000 Hermes brief case.
8-Lenox and Wedgwood china...sold most of this collection after I didnt get married

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 8:48:46 AM
Author: thing2of2
I collect everything! I go through stages where I buy a lot of a particular item. I do it with clothes, shoes, handbags, necklaces, books, cool Japanese toys, etc. I''ll get one of something that I love, and then I''ll have to get more and more. Then I pretty much get over it and move on to something else.
Geez, are you speaking for me? That sounds exactly like me!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I collect only one thing: City Lapel Pins. I have a ton of them and just stick them on a cork board. They are easily portable and not expensive to collect.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 7:10:43 PM
Author: simplysplendid

Me three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23.gif

But jewelry is always a constant.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I collect ... well, not everything, but a lot of things in three specific categories: shiny, sharp, or velvet. So, gems and jewelry, weapons, and cloth goods ... but I might be satisfied if I could hit the trifecta and find a sword with a jeweled hilt in a velvet scabbard.

Aside from that ... books (specifically, books on fantasy, folklore, and fairy tales - I hauled a 4 tons of them cross-country with me), though I feel like it demeans books to put them in the category of a collection. Also, anything relating to peacocks, pomegranates, or perfume (lots of p-things) ... basically, I''m an acquisitive little beast. We all have our flaws, right? My husband says he thinks of me as a dragon with its hoard - seems to fit!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I collect ... old signs (mostly soda-oriented) & photographs of old signs. I love typography (& soda) I guess!

Totes envious of Surfgirl''s antique ring box collection. Been searching for even ONE ever since w/NOOOOOO luck. Thems hard to find!
29.gif
27.gif

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 7:35:12 PM
Author: Circe
I collect ... well, not everything, but a lot of things in three specific categories: shiny, sharp, or velvet. So, gems and jewelry, weapons, and cloth goods ... but I might be satisfied if I could hit the trifecta and find a sword with a jeweled hilt in a velvet scabbard.

Aside from that ... books (specifically, books on fantasy, folklore, and fairy tales - I hauled a 4 tons of them cross-country with me), though I feel like it demeans books to put them in the category of a collection. Also, anything relating to peacocks, pomegranates, or perfume (lots of p-things) ... basically, I''m an acquisitive little beast. We all have our flaws, right? My husband says he thinks of me as a dragon with its hoard - seems to fit!
Circe that the way I feel about my husband and his horde. He collects swords, and tons of computer stuff we have 4 computers just in the our office.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 7:30:15 PM
Author: Bliss
Date: 7/18/2008 7:10:43 PM

Author: simplysplendid

Me three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23.gif

But jewelry is always a constant.

Hahaha! We should form a club! The "One is never enough" club!
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I collect:

- Hand-potted mugs. LOVE them. Our new house has a built-in display unit and my mugs fit on it perfectly.
- Antique books (specifically first printings of etiquette books and novels, some history, and I just started gaining an interest in old cook books)
- Rock concert posters, mostly old, hard to find posters
- Stationery, I love unique art postcards and correspondence cards (I use these, though, when I write letters, so does that count?)
- One-inch buttons. They''re so small and I cover my school bags with them, so they don''t even take up any space.
- My parents would tell you that we collect cats, but that''s nonsense. We only have four. At the moment. :)

- I used to collect magnets from every place I visited, but they looked so busy that they gave me a headache whenever I looked at them, so I stopped. It all started with this adorable magnet with two oranges on it from Florida which reads "Cutest little navels in Florida". I just had to get it.
- I also used to collect rocks and gemstones when I was little. And coral, I painted a lot of coral when I was a kid.

I don''t like having a lot of "stuff" so I rotate out parts of the collection every time I find new things, and the collections aren''t very large.

I love this thread, it''s so interesting.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Wish i had the space to collect posters...turn of the century advirtising or 1960s rock...the art is great to look at.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 1:49:10 AM
Author: jewelerman
Wish i had the space to collect posters...turn of the century advirtising or 1960s rock...the art is great to look at.

Space is the issue--luckily, I have an entire classroom with a lot of walls to fill up. If I wasn''t a teacher I''d probably give up on the poster collection!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I actually really like to collect things. Mostly things of value or that have some special meaning to me. Here are mine:
Elephants (jewelry, decorations, anything elephant)
gemstones (this is relatively new. I have topaz, a tanzanite, my diamond, and I now have another topaz I need to recut and two small diamond side stones)
antique books (I have a first edition 10th printing of the yearling. And some very old first editions of other books and children''s books, and most of my Terry Goodkind books are first edition)
antiques in general are something I love. I love the way they look, especially early 1900s and Victorian antiques.
Oh... and I practice the fine art of collecting horses
27.gif
11.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend that used to give his wife beautiful jewelry and she would sell it to buy horses...now he just gives her money for the horses...she designs a line of equestrian jewelry for a jeweler.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I forgot and snow globes. Ironically I don''t like clutter so I think I prefer to collect items that don''t take up alot of space (aka postcards). unfortunately my husband is more of an hoarder, an artist and patron saint of lost causes so it could be dying plants people have thrown out, can labels, old pieces of rusted metal found on the road, large but nonvaluable books with illustrations, records, resale shop suits and ties, comic books and old children''s books, record players, slide projectors, etc. I tried to keep him to a certain square footage (especially for the records and comic books) but I found when I went up to the attic things I thought he had thrown out he had actually relocated up there
38.gif

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
No but I adore seeing other peoples collections! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!
36.gif

Mrs.2Artists

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 12:14:12 PM
Author: part gypsy
Interesting, keep ''em coming. I wonder if pricescopers are average or above average in number, amount of collecting. Is everyone a collector of something?
I do not collect anything!

I have some DVD''s, but they came from DH''s condo when we moved in together.

I have jewelry, but I don''t have a collection... I have one pair of earrings I wear.
I go through one handbag at a time... I''m not a swap out for each day out kinda gal!

I''m honestly picking my brain. I don''t collect anything! LOL! I''m a freak!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shoes would be the main thing that I collect. There''s nothing else that I can think of that I have a sizeable collection of.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I collect turtles/tortoises (figurines, glassware, stuffed, recycled material, anything). I started collecting turtles at 14 for various reasons and actually had a tattoo of a turtle. I also collect books. I collect just about every book imaginable. I have a huge collection of childrens'' books ( even a 50 yr old copy of the Velveteen Rabbit), antique atlases, encyclopedias, text books, and first editions. (In addition to a few hundred other books.) My mom was a huge book collector and had 3-4000 before they lost their home in a fire in ''03.

I imagine since PSers seem to all have a bit of a love of art (obviously), we all collect something as a way to explore the beauty and artistry of "ordinary" thing.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Old records. We have about 500 or so. I love to go to thrift stores and dig through the piles of crazy records. We have everything from ELO to old Korean folk music!

Old books. Our living room has turned into a small library. When we tear down our house and build new, we're going to have library/record emporium!

Jewelry--only have a small collection--but I'm in it for life!

Small figures to use in photography.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I''m a collector.
Besides jewelry I collect totem poles, eskimo dolls and artifacts, and american indian and eskimo jewelry. Also Iroquois whimseys which are beaded souveniers.
And I also have a collection of old eskimo salt and pepper shakers, and a collection of millefiore picture frames.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Collector, and married to a collector.
Perfumes, miniatures of nearly everything, used to collect coins.
Joint collection of minerals, books, VW items,travel pins that we put on our dash mats.
He collects records, old decals and old magazines.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
When I was little, I had a rock collection (fossils and geodes, etc) and a ton of those Breyer horses. I lost interest in the horses, and continued interest in the rocks :)

Honestly, there''s nothing I really collect anymore. In high school/college, I collected martini glasses, but I stopped doing that around the 3rd time I had to pack and move all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results