shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you a 2-Spacer?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Using 2 spaces after a period was drilled into me; It was required for submitting manuscripts, and and for my dissertation, before it could be bound, had to be inspected by a gloved individual who literally flipped the pages to make sure the margins, editorial aspects were correct (including double spaces after periods). So I assumed that was THE correct way to do it, that is, until I've noticed for electronic submissions (if specified) ask for 1 space after periods.

But the article is wrong in giving the impression that the 1 space rule has been the only correct rule for a long time. For typewritten manuscripts and for articles in some fields (psychology, humanities) the rule was 2 spaces.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This whole discussion is an interesting example of something I notice again and again.
Some stuff is absolute.
Other stuff is made up and agreed with, but treated as if it was absolute.

2+2 equalling 4 is absolute.
The "proper" way of doing things is merely agreement, yet people can get REALLY overly passionate about what's proper or right.

Based on the link, the 2-space rule was a solution to a problem; it was hard to see the separation between sentences.
Old fashioned typewriters gave equal space to every letter, so thin letters like i or l had more space around them.
This meant that one space between sentences was not enough of a visual clue of sentence separation.
Hence the 2-space rule.

Today, typewriters are history.
What we use now bunches letters together in a more thoughtful way instead of giving each letter equal space.
The need for a 2-space sentence separator died with the typewriter, but old habits die hard.

We are are living in a transition stage where one agreement is being displaced by another.
I believe it will take a generation or two for the new agreement to approach 100% buy in.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
1-spacer.
I've always been told using 2-spaces is wrong.

Agent P

Rough_Rock
I have always been a one-spacer. I blame it on my laziness.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1295550066|2827847 said:
We are are living in a transition stage where one agreement is being displaced by another.
I believe it will take a generation or two for the new agreement to approach 100% buy in.

Very very true. Things have never changed more quickly than they ever have before, and it's just amazing. I feel honored that I get to witness the transition.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This whole discussion is an interesting example of something I notice again and again.
Some stuff is absolute.

The "proper" way of doing things is merely agreement, yet people can get REALLY overly passionate about what's proper or right.

Based on the link, the 2-space rule was a solution to a problem; it was hard to see the separation between sentences.
Old fashioned typewriters gave equal space to every letter, so thin letters like i or l had more space around them.
This meant that one space between sentences was not enough of a visual clue of sentence separation.
Hence the 2-space rule.

What we use now bunches letters together in a more thoughtful way instead of giving each letter equal space.
The need for a 2-space sentence separator died with the typewriter, but old habits die hard.

I agree.

The thing with this particular issue is: language is constantly changing and evolving, just as it always has, and always will. Words become obsolete, change meaning, and lose meaning. New words are put into use, and that alone means that our concept of some other group of words becomes narrower because of the new word's use. Usage and pronunciation and spelling all change with time, in subtle, and sometimes not so subtle ways.

This particular change, the use of one space after a period rather than two, is completely due to evolving technologies in font design. The evolution of a language provides incredible insight into the society that uses it. It's really fascinating, if you take a close enough look.

What I like best about these types of discussions is that they show how much people care about their own language, and what they perceive to be the correct way to use it. It makes my linguist heart go pit-a-pat with joy. :))

To answer your original question: I am a one-spacer. Of course. :cheeky:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 spacer. It's how I was taught in typing class in high school back in the 70's.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a 2-spacer. Like Junebug, I was taught to use 2 spaces in school.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
APA keeps changing it. Probably to sell new books :rolleyes: I am surprised people actually have a conversation about this...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1295575936|2828309 said:
Some stuff is absolute.

Hence the 2-space rule.

I agree.

The thing with this particular issue is: language is constantly changing and evolving, just as it always has, and always will. Words become obsolete, change meaning, and lose meaning. New words are put into use, and that alone means that our concept of some other group of words becomes narrower because of the new word's use. Usage and pronunciation and spelling all change with time, in subtle, and sometimes not so subtle ways.

This particular change, the use of one space after a period rather than two, is completely due to evolving technologies in font design. The evolution of a language provides incredible insight into the society that uses it. It's really fascinating, if you take a close enough look.

What I like best about these types of discussions is that they show how much people care about their own language, and what they perceive to be the correct way to use it. It makes my linguist heart go pit-a-pat with joy. :))

To answer your original question: I am a one-spacer. Of course. :cheeky:

Haven, did you see the film, Helvetica?
It is a fascinating documentary about how something as seemingly insignificant as a font can dramatically influence, affect and change us.

http://www.helveticafilm.com/

It is streaming on Netflix and I highly recommend it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, thank you for the link, Kenny!
I know what I'll be doing after Book Club is over tonight. :appl:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
This is very interesting. I've always been a 2-spacer. That's the way I was taught way back in high school typing class. I don't think I could change to 1-space if I tried.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a typing class too (in the 80's) It's funny maybe that's partly why it is drilled into me. But I'm pretty good at the 1 space now.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'm a one-spacer.

I'm also in the UK, was always taught one-space after a full-stop. In fact, no-one ever mentioned the idea of two-spaces and I don't know anyone here who uses two.

labellavita81

Shiny_Rock
2 spaces, but lately I have been doing this.......... between sentences..... not sure why... haha

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I was just assigned a paper for one of my classes (I recently returned to college after a job loss). This will be the first I've written in APA format, and upon checking into it, you're supposed to double space after periods. I've never done that before, so I'm definitely going to have trouble remembering.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results