shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these good Diamonds? Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Amandas_Jewels

Rough_Rock
I am confused on this one
specs as follows:

round brilliant
0.58cts
5.01x
5.02x
3.50 mm

What would this diamond most likely score on the cut advisor?

this one also:
round brilliant
0.51cts
5.06x
5.05x
they wouldn''t tell me the depth??
they said because it is currently mounted they can''t tell?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
not even close to enough information to know anything. except that they are either perfectly round...or perfectly square.

Amandas_Jewels

Rough_Rock
So on the first one, you wouldn''t be able to approximate it? I think an expert could.....right?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
with only the dimensions? no. no one can.

Amandas_Jewels

Rough_Rock
Well then how do the gemologists that work at the laboratories get the proportions out of the basic measurement? It''s like a long mathematical equation isn''t it? There has to be someway someone gets the Table % crown angle, pavilion angle, etc out of the basic measurements = Width by Depth?
I read somewhere that you can approximate it by a specific carat weight is suppose to be a specific width measurement to be an ideal cut, take for example a 0.50 ct diamond that is ideal cut is suppose to be a 5.2 mm round.. is this true?
20.gif

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 7:44:37 PM
Author: Amandas_Jewels
I read somewhere that you can approximate it by a specific carat weight is suppose to be a specific width measurement to be an ideal cut, take for example a 0.50 ct diamond that is ideal cut is suppose to be a 5.2 mm round.. is this true?
20.gif
Yes, it is true. You can *approximate* the dimension if you know that it is an ideally cut round brilliant stone of a given carat weight.

Well then how do the gemologists that work at the laboratories get the proportions out of the basic measurement? It''s like a long mathematical equation isn''t it? There has to be someway someone gets the Table % crown angle, pavilion angle, etc out of the basic measurements = Width by Depth?
Not even close. More measurements need to be taken to get those numbers.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well then how do the gemologists that work at the laboratories get the proportions out of the basic measurement?
they MEAUSURE with specific instrumentation.

20.gif
right. you can''t guesstimate anything more than the approximate dimensions though.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
The gemologists do not get the angles and percentages from the basic measurement of the stone, these are measured by machine and each stone is individual. I''m 5'' tall, what''s my shoe size? You need to get the Sarin report which will give you the angles and percentages of the stone, and if you can, an idealscope of the stone.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Amandas_Jewels

Rough_Rock
But what if I don''t own the stone? These are Diamonds I am considering to buy... but I wasn''t sure if they were good or not. Does this mean I just can''t tell unless the vendor has the FULL proportions listed?
40.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
can''t the vendor obtain this info for you?
33.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 8:27:35 PM
But what if I don''t own the stone? These are Diamonds I am considering to buy... but I wasn''t sure if they were good or not. Does this mean I just can''t tell unless the vendor has the FULL proportions listed?
40.gif

yes. that''s why many people prefer to buy stones with certs or have a loose stone sent to an appraiser or someone who can run a sarin to get the info you''re after..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results