shape
carat
color
clarity

are there any foods you don't eat?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy's chicken thread got me thinking...are there any foods you don't eat?

for me...no mushrooms, sushi, broccoli, cauliflower (I'm sure there are more but those are the main ones!)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Organs. Vegemite.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any right now. :cheeky:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anything with wheat or peanuts :(

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1333593210|3163806 said:
Anything with wheat or peanuts :(
OH YEAH! I don't eat strawberries because I'm deathly allergic to them.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anything that originally had a tentacle or a suction cup on it :knockout:

Foods that can upset me seem to be anything w MSG. Sometimes garlic. Oh - cant stand onions!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hamburgers... :knockout: never had one in my life.. :praise:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1333593729|3163812 said:
Hamburgers... :knockout: never had one in my life.. :praise:

what I would give to have a big juicy hamburger on a toasted bun... :nono:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Butter, creme cheese, ice cream, most packaged cookies or cakes, (pop, beer, those awful margarita mixes :knockout: ), most pasta, chips and other junk food and most fast food. Oh and zuchini and tomato aspic. Anything cooked by my MIL. :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Foie Gras.

I am very food-open minded and would try just about anything at least once. I love Japanese cuisine, but I hate uni. Its texture reminds me of a super soft tongue, and makes me feel like I'm eating a decomposed tongue. :knockout: Heck, I've eaten "phoenix claw" (really, it's a chicken's foot) from dim sum since I was a child, and my only complaint is that it's kind of difficult to eat around the bones.

I'm so gross, I swear, I'll try pigeon or rat, too, if it's cooked in a seemingly hygienic way. Maybe even dog! I've already tried kangaroo, turtle, alligator and ostrich meat (in tacos! lol!). Frog legs are common, yet I haven't tried that yet.

But I refuse to endulge in foie gras. The process is horrific IMO! Force feeding those geese until they die? ;(

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1333594754|3163826 said:
Foie Gras.

I am very food-open minded and would try just about anything at least once. I love Japanese cuisine, but I hate uni. Its texture reminds me of a super soft tongue, and makes me feel like I'm eating a decomposed tongue. :knockout: Heck, I've eaten "phoenix claw" (really, it's a chicken's foot) from dim sum since I was a child, and my only complaint is that it's kind of difficult to eat around the bones.

I'm so gross, I swear, I'll try pigeon or rat, too, if it's cooked in a seemingly hygienic way. Maybe even dog! I've already tried kangaroo, turtle, alligator and ostrich meat (in tacos! lol!). Frog legs are common, yet I haven't tried that yet.

But I refuse to endulge in foie gras. The process is horrific IMO! Force feeding those geese until they die? ;(

Kangaroo is yummy.... :lickout:

I also love sushi but dislike uni.

There's really not a lot I won't eat though. And I'll try most anything (that's why I hate vegemite...bad experience.)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beets, Olives, peanut butter, brussel sprouts, cows tongue, liver.

Grew up with opening the fridge seeing a huge cows tongue... Like really?? Yuck and double yuck....
:-o

I feel like throwing up just thinking about it...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I may be the pickiest adult out there. The list of foods I don't like is pretty extensive. The most common ones I hate are avocados and mushrooms. Icky. Cucumbers, pickles, olives, uncooked onions or tomatoes, jicama, radishes...ummm...Swiss cheese, rye bread, cherries unless they are fresh, honeydew. Oh!! Watermelon. I don't understand why people love it, yuck!!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crustaceans, hazelnuts and anything above the neck on any animal are all out for me. :knockout:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1333594754|3163826 said:
Foie Gras.

That's not actually how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras#Production_methods

http://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras.com/why.html

The ducks and geese are not fed until they die. They are fed fattening meals on a regular basis, some places force feed, some don't. Some wait until the winter, when geese and duck have naturally fattened liver because they've been storing up for the winter, and then slaughter them. Once their liver has fattened sufficiently, they are slaughtered. Some places are more humane than others. Hudson Valley is one of the most humane. I believe it is the only place in the USA making foie gras, at least it was when I was doing my research on it.

Besides, foie gras is delicious. I figure all food is fine, so long as you do your research. And everything in moderation.

I say I don't eat broccoli, but that's a lie. I'll eat anything. No really, anything.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="FrekeChild|1333600239|

I say I don't eat broccoli, but that's a lie. I'll eat anything. No really, anything.[/quote]

Freke...how about some turtle soup?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Tapioca pudding. Bleh.
Oatmeal. Yish.
Hominy, grits, corn meal mush. Ick.

:errrr: :knockout:

I refuse to touch any of the above.

Texture is the reason. My food cannot be slimy, mushy, gritty, or resemble livestock feed.

I firmly believe my ancestors fled Scotland to escape that nasty haggis. (Well, that and the constant gloomy weather.)

stardust97

Rough_Rock
I won't eat any seafood other than salmon or halibut, and no organ meats :knockout: For all you people open to trying *anything* there was an article on my facebook feed the other day about "virgin boy eggs" :roll:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1333598769|3163861 said:
I may be the pickiest adult out there. The list of foods I don't like is pretty extensive. The most common ones I hate are avocados and mushrooms. Icky. Cucumbers, pickles, olives, uncooked onions or tomatoes, jicama, radishes...ummm...Swiss cheese, rye bread, cherries unless they are fresh, honeydew. Oh!! Watermelon. I don't understand why people love it, yuck!!

amc I am with you on your whole list. I can't stand watermelon!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pork organ meat and feet and skin and snout.
Chicken feet... okay, feet in general.
Parsnips.
Cooked turnips (pickled is okay though)
Blood if I can help it although I enjoy cooked marrow.
Vegemite is nasty
Companion animals, including horse.

That's all I can think of, but I reserve the right to add things as I recall them.

hoover

Shiny_Rock
I like some of the foods listed here :cheeky: I'll eat almost anything, haha.
Uni has to be really fresh, or it will taste nasty :knockout:
Mmm.... Foie gras - there's a resto here that serves foie gras on top of beef carpaccio with ice wine jelly :love:

I even like bitter melon and occasionally durian (yeah, DH complains about the smell so I have sneak some when he's not home or I have to eat it outside the house)

Anyways, foods i won't eat:
arugula. :knockout: It's like you're eating B.O. in leaf form.
Peas. Snow peas and frozen ones are the worst. Once in a while, I'll get the urge to try sugar snap peas, I'm done after one
Vegemite was pretty icky too. I even tried it with buttered toast (like Hugh Jackman showed Oprah) :knockout: no go

I won't even get started on the foods I'm not supposed to eat :lol:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'll eat pretty much everything. The only things that I wouldn't eat are things you'd see on Bizarre Foods. Things such as fermented shark, putrified raw pork, fried tarantula......but all of the things that previous posters have posted are considered normal foods in my dining repertoire.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not really picky at all. I'll try pretty much anything.

But I won't eat pork, duck, venison, or green olives. Those meats creep me out, and I just think green olives taste gross. :knockout:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I boycot all major fast food chains.

ketchup
mayo
mustard
relish
salad dressing
Just a faint smell of these or any condiments with vinegar can make me hurl.
sushi
organ meat
Avacado or guacamole
Hot dogs or other mystery meat like bologna. :knockout:
Deep-fried foods
The only oil in our house is olive oil.
99% of canned foods - I didn't even own a can opener till a friend gave me a cool one as a gift.
Actually I buy zero name-brand preprocessed food from the corporate giants , General Mills, Kraft, Kellogg's blah blah blah.

You might ask, "Gee Kenny, What's left?"
Actually tons of salads, fresh fruits and veges.
Brown rice, oatmeal, tofu, humus, taboule, whole grain breads, lentils, chicken, salmon, air-popped popcorn almost daily.
I mostly eat home-prepared simple food close to how it came from the earth.
I cook HUGE recipes, ziplock bag it into 30 servings, freeze them; I don't mind eating the same thing several days in a row.
My weakness is chocolate, ice cream and cookies.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
The only thing I really strongly dislike and it would make me gag if I even smelled it is aniseed/licorice. BLEUGH.

Besides that, I don't really like bell peppers, tuna, watermelon, peanuts&peanut butter. I think that's it. I'm not a picky eater :)

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I don't eat anything that causes unnecessary (avoidable) suffering to the animal. I also try to avoid anything that is threatened or endangered or that shows up as decidedly dodgy on my moral compass. Sadly, meat remains as a key food.

But, for gross foods I don't eat:

Escamoles, Balut, Casu Marzu, Lutefisk, Baby Mice Wine, Pacha, Balut.

Oh wait, some kind soul made a list:
http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_the-6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Liver. I was forced to eat it as a child and it tastes disgusting! The texture makes me gag.

I also don't like:

watermelon, (It makes me vomit)
oranges (migraine trigger)
butterbeans (the texture is awful!)
Semolina (again, the texture puts me off)
smoked fish (indigestion)
Twiglets (not sure if you have them over there but they are really gross!)
Any kind of milkshake or yoghurt drink. I would throw that right back up!

I'm sure there are many more but I can't think of them just now.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Liver. I was forced to eat it as a child and it tastes disgusting! The texture makes me gag.

I also don't like:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HollyS|1333600992|3163874 said:
Tapioca pudding. Bleh.
Oatmeal. Yish.
Hominy, grits, corn meal mush. Ick.

:errrr: :knockout:

I refuse to touch any of the above.

Texture is the reason. My food cannot be slimy, mushy, gritty, or resemble livestock feed.

I firmly believe my ancestors fled Scotland to escape that nasty haggis. (Well, that and the constant gloomy weather.)

They really should have stayed. Within a generation, we'd taken to deep frying it in batter, making the texture rather nice. Of course, it takes your life expectancy down by a couple of decades, but it is nice...

The weather, we still haven't fixed. Centuries of drizzle, and not a damned thing we can do about it :bigsmile:

I don't eat organs, anything slimy or anything that came in a box / freezer / from a factory.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Maisie|1333613375|3163923 said:

I also don't like:

You are wrong, so wrong. Twiglets are just about the nicest thing. Crunchy, savoury loveliness. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results