shape
carat
color
clarity

Are princess cuts really that disliked?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 3:21:15 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 11/5/2007 3:15:53 PM
Author: Steel

TGal, I am a genuine girl. I prefer to have smaller but honest rather than larger but fake. Hmmmm, now that I think about it it applys to more than my ring!
31.gif
As usual no offence is intended. If you want or have illusion set then great. There is not much happiness in the world so grab it when/where ever you can, be it in the form of an illusion set ring or not.
We''re still talking about diamonds, right?
31.gif
emembarrassed.gif

A LADY never tells...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not a fan. I think they look great smaller in eternity type settings, or on a cross, but they just aren''t me. The pattern of the facets in addition to them being everywhere is what I don''t like about them. I think I''d appreciate them more if I didn''t feel as though I see them everywhere. In England I only ever see rounds and princesses - so anything else is of more interest to me.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 5:32:57 PM
Author: Addy
I''m not a fan. I think they look great smaller in eternity type settings, or on a cross, but they just aren''t me. The pattern of the facets in addition to them being everywhere is what I don''t like about them. I think I''d appreciate them more if I didn''t feel as though I see them everywhere. In England I only ever see rounds and princesses - so anything else is of more interest to me.
THREADJACK
31.gif

Hi Addy,
35.gif

Are you another Brit? Or an American married to a Brit? Where are you based in the UK

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2007 9:38:34 AM
Author:february2003bride
After reading the thread over in Rocky Talky regarding everyone''s favorite/least fav diamond shape, almost everyone said they disliked princess cuts. Are they really considered ugly or disliked that much here on Pricescope?
let me just start off by saying, from one princess lover to another, february you have a beautiful diamond and a beautiful ring (and i''m with deco, i love your three stone!!).

and now........wow, february, i was thinking the same thing reading over that thread, it really bummed me out! and then i saw you started this thread and was a little lifted thinking ''oh, good, some folks who appreciate them will step in with some kind words and help lift our broken spirits from the beating princess took'' but i''m even MORE bummed out cuz they were few and far between!! (though we can always count on skippy bless her heart!). oh well.......

i will say that during my reset found a zillion and one settings for rounds that i loved, but had one heck of a time finding something i liked for princess cut. i did want to ''cut the corners'' at one point with a cut cornered halo, but decided to embrace the shape i have loved since before marriage was even a possibility. at the time i got engaged and told my thenBF i liked princess, i had no idea they were ''a trend'' or ''popular''. that does take away some of the oomph for me, to think ''everyone has them'' and they are a trend, but i still love them, and they suit me (many have told me this as well). not to mention the beauties that GOG and WF are putting out, along with the other gorgeous square cuts (PoH, jubilee, H&A square, etc.). come to think of it, i actually do not know anyone else with a princess..... nope, i really don''t!

*slumped shoulders* well, good night. it ain''t easy bein'' square.....
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
When Mara and Alj went to WF and posted pics of the WF princess cuts, I was blown away. They were spectacular, and really wowed me. That doesn''t happen often.
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just find them too harsh for my taste. I like symmetry but their edges tend to be too distinct for me...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t dislike princess cuts, in fact I think they can be quite beautiful! It sounds like the issue is that there are so many out there, and so many of them are poorly cut. Maybe most people have only seen bad cuts in person?

To all the princess lovers out there--wear those gorgeous little square sparklers with pride! (Take it from me--I think I love the least-favorite faceting pattern out there--"crushed ice" cushions. After reading all of the anti-crushed-iced cushion sentiments on PS I *almost* decided to go for a more antique-looking cushion cut, in fact I even posted about it once, but then I saw it in person again and realized that, as usual, my tastes just happen to go against the norm. Nothing wrong with that!)

sera

Ideal_Rock
I don't dislike them; they were just not towards the top of the list for e-ring center stones.

I went with a square shaped center stone- Princess of Hearts, which is not really a Princess at all, rather a square H&A with clipped corners, so it sparkles more like a round than a princess. I prefer a more softened look if I'm going for a square... I just don't typically like a lot of harsh, straight edges.

Most of my reasons for them not being my favorite are pretty much reasons already mentioned by others:
I don't much care for the sharp edges- I feel like they would chip and I don't like the large V prongs that protect the edges.
I do like the crushed ice type of sparkle as an accent or in a larger stone.
I really wanted something different in a center stone, so I did not want a RB or a Princess.
It seems they look dull/dirty quickly due to the table.
Most of the princess cuts I see IRL are pretty crappy and I see a LOT of them- it just kinda turned me off from them (I guess like the marquis from the 80s), but here on PS I've seen some amazing cuts that I would love to have. I think they can be very stunning! And besides, it doesn't matter what everyone else likes or doesn't like, if you like it, that's what counts.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I luv my WF Princess solitare...
only other shape i''d take would be an x-factor.

honestly, I don''t see that many around. in my circle of friends (30-somethings), most have RB''s & emeralds. I was the only princess gal in the group until last weekend, when a dear friend was proposed to. Can''t wait to see hers IRL!

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
I agree the v prongs are distracting. Mine was set with those a few years ago, and then I had Leon reset it with baguettes and a single claw over the tips. And the tips are pretty sturdy apparently as I sent the ring back to Leon and just got it again after it was remade. It just depends how much time you want to dedicate to finding an ideal princess...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
The issue of there being an overabundance of poorly cut princesses is a big one, but I guess you could say the same thing about rounds... there are certainly PUH-LENTY of crappily cut rounds out there!

It''s all just a matter of taste. I truly hope you none of you princess lovers are questioning your choice of shape because, after all, it doesn''t matter whether the masses love it--YOU''RE the one that has to love it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 10:06:42 PM
Author: rainydaze

Date: 11/5/2007 9:38:34 AM
Author:february2003bride
After reading the thread over in Rocky Talky regarding everyone''s favorite/least fav diamond shape, almost everyone said they disliked princess cuts. Are they really considered ugly or disliked that much here on Pricescope?
let me just start off by saying, from one princess lover to another, february you have a beautiful diamond and a beautiful ring (and i''m with deco, i love your three stone!!).

and now........wow, february, i was thinking the same thing reading over that thread, it really bummed me out! and then i saw you started this thread and was a little lifted thinking ''oh, good, some folks who appreciate them will step in with some kind words and help lift our broken spirits from the beating princess took'' but i''m even MORE bummed out cuz they were few and far between!! (though we can always count on skippy bless her heart!). oh well.......

i will say that during my reset found a zillion and one settings for rounds that i loved, but had one heck of a time finding something i liked for princess cut. i did want to ''cut the corners'' at one point with a cut cornered halo, but decided to embrace the shape i have loved since before marriage was even a possibility. at the time i got engaged and told my thenBF i liked princess, i had no idea they were ''a trend'' or ''popular''. that does take away some of the oomph for me, to think ''everyone has them'' and they are a trend, but i still love them, and they suit me (many have told me this as well). not to mention the beauties that GOG and WF are putting out, along with the other gorgeous square cuts (PoH, jubilee, H&A square, etc.). come to think of it, i actually do not know anyone else with a princess..... nope, i really don''t!

*slumped shoulders* well, good night. it ain''t easy bein'' square.....
2.gif

Rainy lady... raise those shoulders up, flash your beautiful diamond proudly! That''s an order. I''m looking forward to your ring because it''s going to be beautiful and you''ve ordered a fabulous setting to showcase it! Just because some of us wouldn''t chose one for ourselves, doesn''t make them any less lovely. And I do think the cut and the settings make all the difference. Beauty truly IS in the eye of the beholder. So chin up!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2007 11:38:36 PM
Author: strmrdr
yes

I love this! Such a guy post. No candy coating it, just telling it straight.

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
princess cuts arent totally useless

they are ideal for tennis bracelets if you want the no-gap look. I think someone mentioned a "diamond ribbon" look - that sums it up nicely

Im not a fan of tennis bracelets made of rounds - too much gaps

And for teh same reason, princess cuts are ideal for channel-setting a lane of diamonds, again no gaps. Channel set using rounds looks cheap like a maul ring

As a centrestone? no.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Let me just say that this weekend my DH, I and my little sister (11yo) were trying on some nice engagement rings in a high-end B&M. After learning about diamonds on pricescope, we will definitely buy online, but I just wanted to see how different settings will look with my wedding ring (set with little RBs). I was convinced I`d be getting a RB and so we tried couple of beautiful RBs. We were about to leave, when the sales lady suggested I try one of their princess cut solitaires. I didn''t want to offend her plus I can''t say no to more bling
2.gif
, so I went for it. I WAS BLOWN AWAY. It was just stunning and both my DH and little sis now insist I HAVE TO get a princess cut e-ring. They don''t need to convince me too hard...
3.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainy lady... raise those shoulders up, flash your beautiful diamond proudly! That''s an order. I''m looking forward to your ring because it''s going to be beautiful and you''ve ordered a fabulous setting to showcase it! Just because some of us wouldn''t chose one for ourselves, doesn''t make them any less lovely. And I do think the cut and the settings make all the difference. Beauty truly IS in the eye of the beholder. So chin up!
thanks gypsy!!
35.gif
1.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for replying! Reading through, two things jumped out at me from all of the responses.

1) A common reply was that princess cuts are too popular. But isn''t the most popular shape a round? Why wouldn''t that spark some negativity over being a shape that''s too overused?

2) A common reply was that people have only seen poorly cut princesses. I''ve seen horrible rounds and horrible princesses. I''ve seen gorgeous rounds (one being in a solitare setting on a woman in front of me in the check out line at the grocery store. It was stunning!) and gorgeous princesses (owning one of them
2.gif
). I think a poorly cut stone comes in all shapes and sizes and on sadly, many fingers.

I personally love princess cuts!
9.gif
When DH and I were engagement ring shopping, I only tried rounds on and yes, they were pretty and yes, they were sparkly (some, lol, not the ones at Kay Jewelers!). But I tried on a princess diamond at Mervis and that. was. it! The shape of a princess (or rectangular modified brilliant to be exact) just suited and complimented my hand so much better! We ultimately bought my diamond from Blue Nile.

I can understand the bulky v-tip prongs for princesses to protect the corners. Ironically, I''m looking for a cathedral setting with v-prongs, which I so wanted to ditch from my first setting! I''m very sentimental about my center stone and I''m clumsy, lol, so I''ve come to realize that v-prongs are a rquirement for me, just I plan to get much thinner ones that I originally had.

So Raindydaze and Chargergrrl, princess shape lovers unite! (And I''m lumping Divergrrl in there too with her blingtastic princess halo!)
11.gif
Maybe we need a princess shape thread of our own?
11.gif
2.gif
3.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2007 7:39:15 AM
Author: february2003bride
Thanks everyone for replying! Reading through, two things jumped out at me from all of the responses.

1) A common reply was that princess cuts are too popular. But isn't the most popular shape a round? Why wouldn't that spark some negativity over being a shape that's too overused?

2) A common reply was that people have only seen poorly cut princesses. I've seen horrible rounds and horrible princesses. I've seen gorgeous rounds (one being in a solitare setting on a woman in front of me in the check out line at the grocery store. It was stunning!) and gorgeous princesses (owning one of them
2.gif
). I think a poorly cut stone comes in all shapes and sizes and on sadly, many fingers.

9.gif
When DH and I were engagement ring shopping, I only tried rounds on and yes, they were pretty and yes, they were sparkly (some, lol, not the ones at Kay Jewelers!). But I tried on a princess diamond at Mervis and that. was. it! The shape of a princess (or rectangular modified brilliant to be exact) just suited and complimented my hand so much better! We ultimately bought my diamond from Blue Nile.

I can understand the bulky v-tip prongs for princesses to protect the corners. Ironically, I'm looking for a cathedral setting with v-prongs, which I so wanted to ditch from my first setting! I'm very sentimental about my center stone and I'm clumsy, lol, so I've come to realize that v-prongs are a rquirement for me, just I plan to get much thinner ones that I originally had.

So Raindydaze and Chargergrrl, princess shape lovers unite! (And I'm lumping Divergrrl in there too with her blingtastic princess halo!)
11.gif
11.gif
2.gif
3.gif
now you're talkin'!!
36.gif

most folks kept it kind and considerate indicating what cuts weren't their personal preference, but there were a couple that took their comments a little too far IMO. we're all here because we love our diamonds and love talking about diamonds and sharing them openly, but boy these two threads brought out some haters in the bunch!!
2.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
You have to remember, February, that the people who answered that question were all most likely referring to what they like to wear on their hands, necks, ears, etc. I''m one of the people who said they were kinds "eh" about the princess cut. Not because I hate it, but because I just like other cuts better. I used to like princess cuts a few years ago when all I ever knew was round and square and that square meant "princess." Now I know a hell of a lot more about diamond shapes, and I''ve chosen an EC to be my favorite (which also, by the way, was hated by an awful lot of PSers - especially ones under 2ct. and mine is only a 90-pointer).

So for me, I like the look of the EC because, unlike many people, I like the glassy, clean look of the cut, which is pretty opposite from an RB and a princess. But because you are not into RB''s like everyone else in the world, I consider you "on my (square) side" and thus, one of my favorite PSers. HA!

BUT - I do have a set of princess-cut CZ studs (sssshhhhh - it''s our little secret - can''t afford the real thing yet) that I really like and wear every single day.
31.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I like them (when well cut of course) - I just like rounds better, so I don''t own any princesses (yet)! I think princesses are especially nice in eternity bands like Tacori''s, and I like how the square shape (of princess or other square cuts) can be very modern.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
FWIW, it ain''t easy being an Asscher-lover around here either! People are ALWAYS getting them/regretting them/trading in. AIIGHHH! And even people who *love* them are all ... well, if they didn''t look so SMALLLLLLLLLL. If they didn''t get so FILTHYYYYYYYY. If people didn''t think they were Princesses ANYWAYYYYYYYY.
27.gif
Or ... IF I could get xxx carats I''d get an Asscher. *SOB* But bottom line, people love what they love. If we all liked the same things, they''d be more expensive!
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock

1) A common reply was that princess cuts are too popular. But isn't the most popular shape a round? Why wouldn't that spark some negativity over being a shape that's too overused?
That was one of the reasons I cited for Ideal RBs being in my "least-fave" pile. But again, it doesn't mean I can't appreciate them (or even drool over them) on other people's hands (or in my own EARS! muaha)... just means they would be toward the bottom of MY list for MY hand. A well-cut RB gives you the most sparkle you'll find, if I'm correct... but I like being a little different with my asscher!

I think very few people are saying that they truly dislike princess cuts (at least not more "dislikers" than there are for any other shape), just that they wouldn't choose one to wear on their own hand--for a variety of reasons. That doesn't make them any less beautiful to YOU, I would hope!

Oh, and Deco, I'm totally with you on the asscher issue! I love mine so much that it's tough to not feel a little defensive when others scorn the cut
11.gif
2.gif

sputat

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 10:35:39 AM
Author: rainydaze

1) A common reply was that princess cuts are too popular. But isn''t the most popular shape a round? Why wouldn''t that spark some negativity over being a shape that''s too overused?

2) A common reply was that people have only seen poorly cut princesses. I''ve seen horrible rounds and horrible princesses. I''ve seen gorgeous rounds (one being in a solitare setting on a woman in front of me in the check out line at the grocery store. It was stunning!) and gorgeous princesses (owning one of them
2.gif

9.gif

I can understand the bulky v-tip prongs for princesses to protect the corners. Ironically, I''m looking for a cathedral setting with v-prongs, which I so wanted to ditch from my first setting! I''m very sentimental about my center stone and I''m clumsy, lol, so I''ve come to realize that v-prongs are a rquirement for me, just I plan to get much thinner ones that I originally had.

So Raindydaze and Chargergrrl, princess shape lovers unite! (And I''m lumping Divergrrl in there too with her blingtastic princess halo!)
11.gif
11.gif
2.gif
3.gif
now you''re talkin''!!
36.gif

most folks kept it kind and considerate indicating what cuts weren''t their personal preference, but there were a couple that took their comments a little too far IMO. we''re all here because we love our diamonds and love talking about diamonds and sharing them openly, but boy these two threads brought out some haters in the bunch!!
2.gif
When my boyfriend mentioned "the ring", I found PS. I was never interested in diamonds but I knew I had to brush up on the subject. After we got engaged, I started reading up on "Princess" threads and already got a feeling that it''s not a fan-favorite here in PS. I admit, in the beginning it bugged me a bit... But then I noticed there are "snobs" (for lack of a better word) reading some PS threads --- Size-snob, color-snob, clarity-snob, shape-snob, numbers-snob... Anti-BMs, Yucky eBay, etc. etc. Ah. C''est la vie.

Please don''t get me wrong. This is a wonderful online community, full of great information and support. I understand the concept of "personal preference" but since our rings/diamonds bear much meaning to the wearer (engagement ring, anniversary ring, etc.), it somehow becomes personal to read such bad sentiments about Princess cut centerstones. It''s one thing to tell me my Vuitton bag is tacky and overdone in a purse forum, but another thing to read how someone would never wear a Princess cut, yada yada... Easy tiger! My diamond shape can''t be that despicable. LoL

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 12:02:36 PM
Author: sputat

When my boyfriend mentioned ''the ring'', I found PS. I was never interested in diamonds but I knew I had to brush up on the subject. After we got engaged, I started reading up on ''Princess'' threads and already got a feeling that it''s not a fan-favorite here in PS. I admit, in the beginning it bugged me a bit... But then I noticed there are ''snobs'' (for lack of a better word) reading some PS threads --- Size-snob, color-snob, clarity-snob, shape-snob, numbers-snob... Anti-BMs, Yucky eBay, etc. etc. Ah. C''est la vie.

Please don''t get me wrong. This is a wonderful online community, full of great information and support. I understand the concept of ''personal preference'' but since our rings/diamonds bear much meaning to the wearer (engagement ring, anniversary ring, etc.), it somehow becomes personal to read such bad sentiments about Princess cut centerstones. It''s one thing to tell me my Vuitton bag is tacky and overdone in a purse forum, but another thing to read how someone would never wear a Princess cut, yada yada... Easy tiger! My diamond shape can''t be that despicable. LoL
I can understand why you feel that way, but I respectfully disagree (meaning I don''t feel that way, not that you shouldn''t feel that way).

I wouldn''t buy an LV bag. I wouldn''t wear a princess cut diamond. These are just reflections of my own personal taste, but it isn''t PERSONAL. Likewise, you may not choose to drive the car I drive and I''m pretty darn sure you wouldn''t carry around the scungy bag I carry...again these are a reflection of who I am and what I like, but I wouldn''t take it personally if you didn''t care for it.

For some, erings are a very sentimental object. For others, it''s a somewhat sentimental object. And of course, there are those that would upgrade in a flash. In the end, it''s all about preferences, and we don''t have to agree on how we feel about them...as long as we are polite about it!
1.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life would be very dull (and even more competitive than it is now) if everyone liked the same things. We should enjoy our diamonds and handbags and other fine things regardless of their shape or whether others like or don''t like them.

sputat

Rough_Rock
"In the end, it''s all about preferences, and we don''t have to agree on how we feel about them...as long as we are polite about it!"

I wholeheartedly agree. We like what we like. The level we value certain things vary...

I also have to remind myself that each person have their own version of "being polite".
2.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2007 12:13:04 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 11/6/2007 12:02:36 PM

When my boyfriend mentioned ''the ring'', I found PS. I was never interested in diamonds but I knew I had to brush up on the subject. After we got engaged, I started reading up on ''Princess'' threads and already got a feeling that it''s not a fan-favorite here in PS. I admit, in the beginning it bugged me a bit... But then I noticed there are ''snobs'' (for lack of a better word) reading some PS threads --- Size-snob, color-snob, clarity-snob, shape-snob, numbers-snob... Anti-BMs, Yucky eBay, etc. etc. Ah. C''est la vie.

Please don''t get me wrong. This is a wonderful online community, full of great information and support. I understand the concept of ''personal preference'' but since our rings/diamonds bear much meaning to the wearer (engagement ring, anniversary ring, etc.), it somehow becomes personal to read such bad sentiments about Princess cut centerstones. It''s one thing to tell me my Vuitton bag is tacky and overdone in a purse forum, but another thing to read how someone would never wear a Princess cut, yada yada... Easy tiger! My diamond shape can''t be that despicable. LoL
I can understand why you feel that way, but I respectfully disagree (meaning I don''t feel that way, not that you shouldn''t feel that way).

I wouldn''t buy an LV bag. I wouldn''t wear a princess cut diamond. These are just reflections of my own personal taste, but it isn''t PERSONAL. Likewise, you may not choose to drive the car I drive and I''m pretty darn sure you wouldn''t carry around the scungy bag I carry...again these are a reflection of who I am and what I like, but I wouldn''t take it personally if you didn''t care for it.

For some, erings are a very sentimental object. For others, it''s a somewhat sentimental object. And of course, there are those that would upgrade in a flash. In the end, it''s all about preferences, and we don''t have to agree on how we feel about them...as long as we are polite about it!
1.gif
exactly..... and the majority were considerate, simply stating their preferences and sometimes offering a reason that was objective and unoffensive for their personal preference. i absolutely agree it is wonderful to have a variety of preferences, and i of course have my own, so i certainly have no issue with folks, even a majority, not prefering a cut i happen to like. no, my beef is only with the handful that used adjectives and automicons that were, IMO, a little meanspirited and unnecessary as they most definitely could make a person who has that cut feel a little
15.gif

then there was this comment, the cherry on top:

"Cant stand:
princess and radiants they shouldn''t even be cut its a waste of good rough!"

i mean, ouch. how could saying a cut that many here have shared with excitement is completely worthless and ''a waste'' be anything but offensive? on a forum dedicated to giving diamond lovers a place to share our love of diamonds, and our love of OUR diamonds, comments like that are just unnecessary, inconsiderate, and unkind. (i want to add, i recongnize it wasn''t just all directed at princess cut, but of course i would be more tuned in to those comments since that''s my cut.)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2007 12:48:06 PM
''In the end, it''s all about preferences, and we don''t have to agree on how we feel about them...as long as we are polite about it!''

I wholeheartedly agree. We like what we like. The level we value certain things vary...

I also have to remind myself that each person have their own version of ''being polite''.
2.gif
good point!
1.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 10:58:37 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 11/5/2007 10:10:12 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I don''t dislike Princess cuts, but I have only seen one that I thought was well cut. There are a lot of badly cut Princesses out there, and they look dull. The well cut one I saw was a knockout.
Ditto MB, that is how I feel, but get a well cut Princess and they are gorgeous!
Thritto.... a lady I worked with had a 1.5ct D Princess that GLOWED, it was a firey dude too....WOW.
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results