shape
carat
color
clarity

Are pricescope listings negotiable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluelightspecial

Rough_Rock
What do you insiders believe the typical markup is for the listed diamonds over the supplier price? I''m specifically referring to $10k+ stones.

Are the prices negotiable, particularly when multiple vendors are listing the same stone?

Merry Christmas,
BLS
36.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not much compared to B&M stores.

The internet vendors with the lowest prices do not stock any diamonds - and play a game of lets drive our competitor out of business by using a lower mark-up. Long term it may work, or it may not and they may have to raise prices.

Also, the cheapest prices tend to come from vendors who offer the lowest level of other services. Do you want "expert selection" - you will pay more for that. Do you want IdealScope (or similar) images, other pictures, other certs (Brilliantscope), Sarin Models, Gem Models, etc.

The vendors who supply those "extra's" charge a bit more - and I personally consider it well worth it.

Some of the vendors include a loupe, H&A viewer, and other trinkets in their prices.

Quality of customer service is another one.

Lowest price, lowest markup, does not mean best value. It never has.

Do you want the lowest possible price - regardless of the other factors: Then you accept some risk. Do you want the best value: Great daimond, great service, etc for a good price.

Personally, I have opted for the later. Even that has turned out to be a more time and energy intensive than I expected.

By and large, the internet dealers do not negotiate much on price. I have heard occasional stories about $50 or $100 dollar discounts. For the most part each dealer has determined their required markup - and do not budge much from that.

Perry

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/24/2004 2:44:47 AM
Author:bluelightspecial
What do you insiders believe the typical markup is for the listed diamonds over the supplier price?
I''ve been told that when you''re looking at the same stone listed by many vendors that the typical markup percentage on the lowest offering is in the low single digits. It''s so low that many such vendors can''t afford the time it takes for you to stop by and see the stone in person. I have to agree with Perry on this, especially for something in your price range - I''d rather pay a little more and work with someone who not only hand picks nice stones but will also find the right stone for me, not just flip certs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results