shape
carat
color
clarity

Are plain wedding bands outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
NEVER ......... Nothing says married like a Plain Band!!! I love them in all colors and widths
emteeth.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Tacori- Thinking about it, you''re right, it probably was an insult. But knowing my friend, I don''t think she MEANT for it to be an insult but more as a helpful piece of advice, lol. She definitely wasn''t insulting my e-ring, but thinking back, it was towards my plain band.

I don''t really see her being jealous over my plain band... she is a competitive person (she was thrilled to have the biggest diamond out of our group of married and engaged friends) but she''s not MEAN per se. Her e-ring is gorgeous and any number of wedding bands would look great with it.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
TGal- I ADORE your set! It''s right up my alley
9.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Diver- I swear, if we lived on the same coast, we''d totally hang out! Reading through all of the posts (and I didn''t mean to make this about my ring(s) but the opinon towards plain bands) I may bring this back up with her and discuss it more. I know she''s going this week to finally pick a wedding ring, so I would be asking her about it anyway.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
DKS- I think you totally hit the nail on the nail on the head! Yes, her FI DOES want her to get a plain band but he also wants her to get what she wants and be happy. They are over budget on the wedding, haven''t even paid for the honeymoon yet and he''s getting a plain whitegold wedding band himself (last I heard, anyway). She has to choose soon for her July wedding.

Hmmmm...very very interesting theory!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2007 9:22:34 AM
Author: Clio
A few weeks ago I was ogling sparklies in a jewellery store with a friend, and the woman behind the counter told us that the plain band was supposed to symbolize ''unbroken'' commitment and/or love (can''t remember now) and she found that ironic, considering the trend towards bands broken up by being set with diamonds.

I have heard that it was a Jewish custom for the wedding ring to be a plain gold band, with no stones or engraving. I''m by no means an expert on Jewish wedding traditions, though.

I do like the look of a simple, plain band. It''s terribly elegant.
I remember reading that it was more like a rule. FI and I aren''t having a religious ceremony so we didn''t really have to deal with this, but I know my parents did and their bands are engraved. Also, my cousin who''s getting married this summer has a diamond band. So, I guess it''s more of a strong suggestion.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Whoever said plain wedding bands are "out" is just whack. I mean, there's a reason so many people have them. Timeless, right?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results