shape
carat
color
clarity

Are my baguettes too big?

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
Is it even possible to have diamonds that are too big?

I asked for a baguette upgrade from .22 each to .44 each to flank my 2.0 centre stone, but now I think that I may have distorted the proportions. I'm not sure the ring looks as elegant with the chunky baguettes and I think the bigger side stones make my centre stone now look small. What say you PS experts? Can you have too much of a good thing?

p1070442.jpg

p1070450.jpg

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I'd go down and meet half way at .34 each, tapered, and I'd thin out/claw those main stone
prongs. Your center is gorgeous!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your thread title cracks me up for some reason!! (Like - Are my boobs too big?... or something). Anyhoo - I think it's just personal preference. I love the way your ring looks and I would live with it and see. I like that it doesn't look like a typical emerald/baguette ring - it's bolder and it's stunning. :love: :love: But, if YOU don't like it change it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Do you have shots of your ring before with the smaller baguettes? I personally like more of a size difference with a 3 stone but that is my preference. What do you like?

I do agree with the previous poster though that your ring would look delicious if you tapered the prongs a little more. Claws would be amazing with emerald cuts! :lickout:

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
Here it is with the smaller baguettes. I'm heartsick at the thought of my hubby spending all this money because I wanted bigger baguettes and realizing that maybe the smaller ones looked better. I don't think there is anything I can do about it either... already sold the smaller stones. Uggg.

_693.jpg

753.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your ring looks much more appealing to my eyes with the newer bigger boobs...um... baguettes!! :lol: I'd live with it a bit longer and appreciate the design for what it is, in a set time frame. If it is still bothering you after "X" weeks/months, then you could consider a change. Gives you a chance to judge it fairly.

But if you then are not comfortable and can afford it - would you consider a different shape? What about trillions?? That would look amazing with your EC!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new setting is MUCH better! I think the baguettes could have been a little skinnier, but had you just posted this to show us your new ring, I would have said honestly that it is absolutely gorgeous!!! :love:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I think your ring looks perfect with the new baguettes!

novicediamond

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Enerchi, when I first got my E Ring I was well underwhelmed as I thought the halo was too small, everyone said live with it for a while, so I did and now Ive come to love the wee dainty teeny tiny bloom...so I say live with your new design a good while before deciding anything, you may be surprised how your views change as you grow used to a wearing it. I agree maybe a little bit more prong work, but i LOVE the centre stone, I dont think the new baguettes are 'too big' at all.. maybe the smaller ones made the centre stone look a wee bit larger but the new ones are STILL in proportion. I love baguettes and I love you ring, your so lucky to have a 2 C centre stone!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the new ones better!

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your feedback everyone. I think my hubby might kill me, or think I'm deranged, if I asked to change the stones yet again, so living with them for a while is probably the best route for now. I'm just feeling anxious that my greedy need for more diamonds may have marred a perfectly gorgeous ring - that spending all that money didn't result in an improvement, just a different look.

And for those who commented on the claws: I actually did have the claws refined a bit, they were a little larger originally, my jeweller is concerned about stone security if we go any smaller.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
That's right, appreciate your baguettes no matter what the size. :lol: You can always get another baguette job later if you're still unhappy. :lol: :lol:

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
With my track record of buyer's remorse I think a 'baguette job' is outta the question. I'll keep my saggy little rocks, thank you :)

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
They look beautiful and blingy! I really think you just need to get used to them and get over the initial shock of "oh no, this doesn't look like my ring!"

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone - thanks for your feedback.

I guess the one consideration when posting on a diamond lovers forum, is that everyone loves diamonds (plus, everyone is so nice) that not a lot of people will actually say 'Hey dummie, you ruined a perfectly good ring. See where tampering gets ya?" :)

But I do appreciate all of the feedback. Thanks so much for your comments.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
EmeraldDiamondCity|1346374856|3260082 said:
Hi Everyone - thanks for your feedback.

I guess the one consideration when posting on a diamond lovers forum, is that everyone loves diamonds (plus, everyone is so nice) that not a lot of people will actually say 'Hey dummie, you ruined a perfectly good ring. See where tampering gets ya?" :)

But I do appreciate all of the feedback. Thanks so much for your comments.

no no no!!! :nono: Emeralddiamondcity - don't have those thoughts!!! You did NOT ruin your ring - it is BEAUTIFUL! you've had a lot of PSers who come from all sorts of parts of the world, tell you how gorgeous it is - it *IS* gorgeous! You are just having second thoughts (totally normal) because you made a change and you are getting used to the change.

Usually people feel that way after a big purchase - its normal --- but stop that nonsense, your ring is lovely! :))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the before.

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
I think I might prefer before as well, but I think I'm stuck with this one now.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too prefer the smaller ones. Normally I love big blingy side stones, but I think with the baguettes they look more elegant when they are smaller and more tapered.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer the bigger baguettes. I think it might help if the bars securing the baguettes were less pronounces...also, if the prongs were a bit finer. Very easy modifications. What you may see is that the new ring is chunky...if the metal work was a bit finer, it would be perfect!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I like the larger baguettes. But I think the prongs on the center stone are distracting. They look too much like balls. It's just my personal taste that I like the prongs to disappear.

Your center stone is so gorgeous!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a beautiful ring and give yourself some time to get used to the change. On a side note, if I do not like someones ring, I just do not comment on that ring.

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
lknvrb4|1346403127|3260159 said:
I think it is a beautiful ring and give yourself some time to get used to the change. On a side note, if I do not like someones ring, I just do not comment on that ring.

I asked for honest opinions, so I don't mind at all that some people prefer the previous ring, I myself think I prefer the previous ring. So please don't feel like you can't comment if you don't like the ring.

I do agree with many of the responses here that the prongs are a bit big. I did ask my jeweller to slim them out, which he did so I think that might be as slim as he can make them.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I love the new version! I like it better, actually. They don't overpower your stone at all!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I think it looks proportionate. Sorry you are having a difficult time with the change, what is your plan b?

cheers--Sharon

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1346421589|3260242 said:
HI:

I think it looks proportionate. Sorry you are having a difficult time with the change, what is your plan b?

cheers--Sharon

Hmmm, no plan B. I think hubby might kill me if I ask to change the ring again. Might have to wait a few years, then broach the subject again- sigh!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
EmeraldDiamondCity|1346451914|3260603 said:
canuk-gal|1346421589|3260242 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Hmmm, no plan B. I think hubby might kill me if I ask to change the ring again. Might have to wait a few years, then broach the subject again- sigh!

No "sigh"!! It's a beautiful ring! :love:

I do agree with the comment about thinning the prongs but is it that noticeable in real life?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sort of see if as the old setting has some accent stones in the band and I see the new
setting as more of a three stone. Is one better then the other...no. Both beautiful,
just a different look.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1346453682|3260623 said:
I sort of see if as the old setting has some accent stones in the band and I see the new
setting as more of a three stone. Is one better then the other...no. Both beautiful,
just a different look.

I agree with tyty- it's just a different look. When you get used to it, you might find you love it. Personally, I like the big blingy centre with a touch of sparkle on the side, but that's a matter of my taste, not lack of proportion.

Enjoy your new sparkles :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results