shape
carat
color
clarity

Are Expensive Hairdryers Worth It?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh my gosh, I want that sparkly dryer!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: I just bought the Drybar Buttercup dryer and the answer to the question "Are Expensive Hairdryers Worth It?" is yes, yes, yes!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Omg, you would not believe the difference between this and my $20 Conair one. It's like going from driving an old rustbucket to a Mercedes.

It doesn't get anything like as hot as my Conair, even on the highest setting. I didn't realize how much I was scorching my hair. Even with lower heat, it dries my hair quickly and my hair looked smoother than it's ever been - probably because the dryer is ionic. I didn't have much luck with the ionic dryer at my gym but this is totally different.

It's also light and quiet and has a long cord. My hair has never looked better and I just can't believe how gentle yet effective the heat is. My Conair was searing the crap out of my hair and I never realised it.

Also, the cool shot button is truly cold.

Bonus, I got the limited edition gift set, and instead of it being bright yellow, it sparkles like a glitterball! In the kit, there is hair glitter spray, and I inwardly rolled my eyes thinking "I'm not 16." BUT! It's great - the glitter spray gives you the teeniest, tiniest pinpricks of light in your hair.

Sorry for the link below - the photo of the set is too small to pull and post. Anyway, it's $215 for a $285 value and you get the glittery limited-edition dryer instead of the yellow one!

Bonus pic of a 14k yellow gold knot ring that I just got on sale from Bluenile, and I love it.

https://www.thedrybar.com/glitter-gang-blowdryer-kit 14 (1).JPG 14 (2).JPG 15.JPG 16.JPG

How did you come to decide on this particular brand, J? I think it too is expensive, but less than others. I love that it sparkles!! lol I might need one too.

cheers--Sharon

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree 100% on investing in a quality hair dryer - I've had my Parlux for 7 years and love it. Saves time every time you dry which is by far the best value!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought an Elchim about 7-8 years ago and I love it. I never thought I would spend that much on a dryer but it is worth every penny!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I have the DryBar Buttercup hairdryer also, and I LOVE it. Mine is just the plain yellow one; I wish the sparkly one had been around when I bought mine!

I get blowouts every two weeks at the Dry Bar salon because I’m lazy, and this is their namesake dryer. I’ve always coveted the dryer, so when they became available for purchase, I snapped it up. Definitely worth every penny!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.thedrybar.com/glitter-gang-blowdryer-kit 14 (1).JPG 14 (2).JPG 15.JPG 16.JPG [/QUOTE]
Update: I just bought the Drybar Buttercup dryer and the answer to the question "Are Expensive Hairdryers Worth It?" is yes, yes, yes!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Omg, you would not believe the difference between this and my $20 Conair one. It's like going from driving an old rustbucket to a Mercedes.

It doesn't get anything like as hot as my Conair, even on the highest setting. I didn't realize how much I was scorching my hair. Even with lower heat, it dries my hair quickly and my hair looked smoother than it's ever been - probably because the dryer is ionic. I didn't have much luck with the ionic dryer at my gym but this is totally different.

It's also light and quiet and has a long cord. My hair has never looked better and I just can't believe how gentle yet effective the heat is. My Conair was searing the crap out of my hair and I never realised it.

Also, the cool shot button is truly cold.

Bonus, I got the limited edition gift set, and instead of it being bright yellow, it sparkles like a glitterball! In the kit, there is hair glitter spray, and I inwardly rolled my eyes thinking "I'm not 16." BUT! It's great - the glitter spray gives you the teeniest, tiniest pinpricks of light in your hair.

Sorry for the link below - the photo of the set is too small to pull and post. Anyway, it's $215 for a $285 value and you get the glittery limited-edition dryer instead of the yellow one!

Bonus pic of a 14k yellow gold knot ring that I just got on sale from Bluenile, and I love it.

https://www.thedrybar.com/glitter-gang-blowdryer-kit 14 (1).JPG 14 (2).JPG 15.JPG 16.JPG

I saw this today!!!! Hope you are still enjoying it. I didn't want to cough up 230 bucks so I bought a BaByliss Pro (ceramic and tourmaline). Coulda saved some money by shopping on Black Friday--but I am dumb. Used my BD money for this little splurge. This thread was very helpful!

PS has your man seen your sparkle bomb? :P2

Sharon

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a Dyson hair dryer last year---love it. $399. Zero frizz. Good shine and volume.

i also bought the Revlon Hair One Step Volumizer and IT ROCKS SO HARD. $50. Zero frizz, great volume.

Go on YouTube and watch vid.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me $40 is a lot for a hairdryer and that is what I spent and it's definitely worth it. Ionic. Ceramic. Dries faster, and hair is less frizzy, and much lighter and quieter. I only dry my hair half the time, and I blow dry only so it's not dripping on my clothes. But still a good investment.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with House Cat... Although I will say that I bought an expensive hair dryer from my salon for almost $200 and it's been great for nearly 12 years! (I may have just jinxed myself) :lol: :lol:

Well... my expensive hair dryer officially bit the dust last week (heat component went out). However, it did last 14 years, so I feel like I got my money’s worth. :P2

I replaced it with one by MoroccanOil that was only about $100. My stylist recommended it for home use. So far I love it! We’ll see how long it lasts...
Moroccanoil Professional Series Hair Dryer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047AFEEQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_c92.BbQJV7WWA

I still prefer the $300+ dryers at the salon, but I just can’t/won’t spend that kind of money on a hair dryer.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a Dyson hair dryer last year---love it. $399. Zero frizz. Good shine and volume.

i also bought the Revlon Hair One Step Volumizer and IT ROCKS SO HARD. $50. Zero frizz, great volume.

I REALLY wanted to get a Dyson dryer... I heart them. Maybe one day.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 , I sopke with @azstonie right after you used the Revlon Hair One Step Volumizer for the first time. She sounded so thrilled with it. I plan on ordering one this week. When she said she wished she could return the Dyson, I figured $50 is a very small price to pay for loving your hair!

How is your sweet baby girl???

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 , I sopke with @azstonie right after you used the Revlon Hair One Step Volumizer for the first time. She sounded so thrilled with it. I plan on ordering one this week. When she said she wished she could return the Dyson, I figured $50 is a very small price to pay for loving your hair!

How is your sweet baby girl???

I think you may have me confused with another poster... I haven’t used the Revlon volumizer, but it sounds great! :)) The dryer I use is the one by MorrocanOil.

And my baby is awesome - thanks for asking! I can’t believe she’s THREE!! (shameless pic to follow) :P2
BEF8E640-EB18-42F6-AC60-2F231B1D6B70.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you may have me confused with another poster... I haven’t used the Revlon volumizer, but it sounds great! :)) The dryer I use is the one by MorrocanOil.

And my baby is awesome - thanks for asking! I can’t believe she’s THREE!! (shameless pic to follow) :P2
BEF8E640-EB18-42F6-AC60-2F231B1D6B70.jpeg

Aww she’s so precious. What a gorgeous girl. :love:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 , Your daughter is adorable!!! It seems like yesterday that you were pregnant with her. Enjoy the daylights out of these years. Children are nothing but pure JOY and it goes by so fast.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 , Your daughter is adorable!!! It seems like yesterday that you were pregnant with her. Enjoy the daylights out of these years. Children are nothing but pure JOY and it goes by so fast.

Time certainly does fly by... :blackeye:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd like a Dyson. My OH says they're too much. His mum bought one and returned it because she didn't think it was worth the money. She only has bobbed hair, mine is hip length and I was wondering if it would save time. :think::confused:

I do like that sparkly one though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow I cannot believe how expensive some hairdryers are..I don't even own one and just let my hair air dry and now I see I am saving lots of money by doing this lol. If I were to get a hairdryer I would want one that I could just sit under like what they have at the salon. That would tempt me if I needed to dry my hair faster...

Hahaha look at this retro hair dryer.:lol: Beam me up Scotty:geek:

untitled-1.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are the Dyson hairdryers quiet?

I swear some dryers are so loud that they risk hearing damage!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If all I care about is getting my hair dried FAST, don't care about frizz of volume or anything fancy, is there a good dryer for that? I just CAN'T stand drying my hair every morning and I just realized that's why I keep curting my hair shorter and shorter... :roll2:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd love to know this too. I want to bite the bullet and get one.

I have long and fairly thick hair. Regular hairdryers do a lot of heat damage to my hair, bc it takes forever to properly dry it. And I wash and dry my hair almost on a daily basis.

Also, does anyone know of a good serum or conditioner or something that protects hair from heat damage?

Last edited:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have owned quite a few T3 dryers over the years and I love them. Currently, I have 3 of the travel version. I originally bought them because of how lightweight they are. I have one in my travel bag, one in our 5th wheel and one I use at home. It makes a huge difference in my hair and I won't use anything else. Last year I bought a Harry Josh, because it had two types of settings. I am going to give it to my daughter when she comes. Nothing makes my hair look as good as T3 and I will never be without one. I am not sure I would spring for the price of a Dyson. I bought the T3 travel dryer to travel with but I like it so much when my larger T3 bit the dust I switched to all travel dryers. At $150, plus sales discount, it is a good option for me. Not as much of a price hit but a great dryer. I usually get between 2-3 years out of them and I am okay with that.

Reactions: AV_

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have owned quite a few T3 dryers over the years and I love them. Currently, I have 3 of the travel version. I originally bought them because of how lightweight they are. I have one in my travel bag, one in our 5th wheel and one I use at home. It makes a huge difference in my hair and I won't use anything else. Last year I bought a Harry Josh, because it had two types of settings. I am going to give it to my daughter when she comes. Nothing makes my hair look as good as T3 and I will never be without one. I am not sure I would spring for the price of a Dyson. I bought the T3 travel dryer to travel with but I like it so much when my larger T3 bit the dust I switched to all travel dryers. At $150, plus sales discount, it is a good option for me. Not as much of a price hit but a great dryer. I usually get between 2-3 years out of them and I am okay with that.

I looked for T3 (IRL) locally--but to no avail. Didn't want to buy online (looks, feel yanno). Seemed a great option...tho.

cheers--Shaorn

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to know this too. I want to bite the bullet and get one.

I have long and fairly thick hair. Regular hairdryers do a lot of heat damage to my hair, bc it takes forever to properly dry it. And I wash and dry my hair almost on a daily basis.

Also, does anyone know of a good serum or conditioner or something that protects hair from heat damage?

Yes, it’s half the reason I got the Dyson. It is soooo quiet compared to my Babyliss Pro. And SO lightweight too! My arms no longer get tired.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I replied above sorry I can’t get used to this quote system.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it’s half the reason I got the Dyson. It is soooo quiet compared to my Babyliss Pro. And SO lightweight too! My arms no longer get tired.

Great! Glad to hear this. Thank you, @madelise.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a Babyliss Pro and it was okay, but sooo heavy and loud. One of my close friends is a hairstylist and she recommended the BioIonic Whisper Light and I LOVE it. Quiet, lightweight, and does a great job with my hair (I have fussy, fine, wavy hair that can get a little curly with the right finesse). I tried another $250 hairdryer (name escapes me at the moment) said to be good for curly/wavy girls, and every time I pull it out to try it again, I go right back to the Whisper Light. It lasted me a good while before dying (5+ years, daily use), and I didn't hesitate to replace it with the same one. I bring it with me on travel because now if I use anything else, I cannot believe the ringing in my ears the fatigue in my arms! And forget about the frizz in my hair!! :lol:

It dries my hair a little faster than others I have used, but not significantly so. However, I do use a diffuser and low setting, so that may be why. Most reviews/blogs that I found it on say it dries faster than other dryers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results