shape
carat
color
clarity

Are boy short bathing suits appropriate for 40+ women?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This kind of bathing suit is by far what looks best on me...

They cover my whole butt (well, the ones I'd buy, anyway) plus shows off my stomach / waist (my best feature).

And they have a certain "athletic" look to them that (when I am working out) suits me.

designer-bikinis-ung321bu.jpg

But...I keep wondering whether they look too "young"?

I can minimize that by staying away from "cutesy" things like side strings, etc...but still...I wonder if they're appropriate for this age.

What do you think?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a great figure flattering style CJ for any age.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, if you have a figure like the one above and have a great stomach area I would buy that suit in a heartbeat. From how you are describing your body you will look great in that suit!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie - I *wish* I could say I have a figure like the one above - I'd be one happy girl if that were the case haha

I don't. Far from it.

I'm lean, but my legs and butt are far from perfect...that's where I carry most of my weight/flab. And I have some spider veins.

HOWEVER - if I was to base what I can wear based on that I would put on NO bathing suit, since they all show the legs. And the ones that don't (e.g., skirts etc) look WORSE on me not better. I find that if I show MORE leg they look better, believe it or not.

But my stomach is flat, small waist...decent upper body (not perfect - even though I have muscle from working out, I do have some sagging in my triceps area).

What would you say now? (I want your honest opinion)

Missy - I have ran into images of older women wearing them and they don't look too out of place. Especially if I make sure I am put together in other ways (hair looks neat, etc.) and like I said, the bathing suit is not "cutesy" in any way.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Calliecake|1426868755|3850066 said:
CJ, if you have a figure like the one above and have a great stomach area I would buy that suit in a heartbeat. From how you are describing your body you will look great in that suit!
+1

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CRYSTAL24K|1426869063|3850072 said:
Calliecake|1426868755|3850066 said:
+1

Crystal - see above for a more detailed description of what I look like...and see if you still feel the same.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ I hear you and I think we are too tough on ourselves yanno? I think I know your aesthetic and I bet you look gorgeous in that suit. I'm not just saying that.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you find the suit flattering, then it is what you should wear!!

I love it btw. I WISH I could wear boyshorts. My thighs always eat them!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as you are comfortable, go for it!

I think from what you described, it would look great on you. The only times I thought a bathing suit of any kind was "wrong" on a woman were the ones that clearly were trying but the style was all wrong for them. Like boyshorts so tight it squeezes the upper thighs and smooshes the fat into an unflattering buldge. It isn't so much (in my mind) about size or age. It is more about body shape and how to flatter your features.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1426869933|3850084 said:

My thighs do that too ;(

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
CJ,

I think boy shots are totally appropriate for a woman 40 and over. After all, they cover more, not less. I see them paired all the time with tankini tops since a lot of women want more coverage in the abdomen and butt/hip area. But if you can still rock a bikini, I say go for it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1426870692|3850093 said:

My thighs do that too ;(

I love the 50's style bathing suit with a modest short skirt. I know these suits are not everyone's cup of tea but I find these styles appealing. When done right it looks very pretty IMO. Here are some examples:

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/some-like-it-haute-one-piece-swimsuit-in-red

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/free-to-sea-one-piece-swimsuit

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/twopiece-swimwear/bathing-beauty-two-piece-swimsuit-in-red

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love boy shorts and think they are always age appropriate. If you feel comfortable in that, wear them. I have a larger arse and tree trunk like thighs but look best in high legged suits. Boy shorts make my legs look even shorter (is that even possible?) and draws attention to them. I wish I looked a tenth as good as that model does in them!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

If the suit fits--wear it!

I like boy shorts in swimwear. I believe they look "appropriate". :))

cheers--Sharon

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that's a great look and totally appropriate for 40+ women.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get a "young" vibe off that suit or boy suits, I get a classic vibe. You get a sexy vibe if the wearer is feelin' it!

Honestly, no matter what bathing suit you choose the haters are going to hate. Why not get what you want, what you feel good in? Besides, for every woman who might sniff over your suit choice, there'll be 10 guys saying "Um, hi!"

Buy it and have yourself some fun!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1426873750|3850137 said:
I love boy shorts and think they are always age appropriate. If you feel comfortable in that, wear them. I have a larger arse and tree trunk like thighs but look best in high legged suits. Boy shorts make my legs look even shorter (is that even possible?) and draws attention to them. I wish I looked a tenth as good as that model does in them!

Rhea, I urge to give them another try - not EVERY boy short looks good on me. Many don't. But when they are cut in a particular way they are flattering.

I don't think they make my legs look longer - and they may even make them look shorter - but they are so flattering OVERALL that overall I still look way better in them.

I too look best in high-legged suits leg length wise - I actually just bought this suit

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/kenneth-cole-reaction-bandeau-cutout-one-piece-swimsuit?ID=761919&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340000374900&catargetid=120156340000990146&cadevice=c&cm_mmc=Google_Nongender_PLA-_-Nongender+Apparel+Brands+-+GS_Kenneth+Cole+Reaction-_-65601878649_-_-_mkwid_pHtfN2M2|dc_65601878649%7C-%7CpHtfN2M2

and from the FRONT it looks great - very flattering.

But from the back...that same highness that looks good in the front pinches my flabby butt cheeks.

Not good. (ETA hence why I'm going to return it)

So I'm just telling you that it may be you have not tried on the RIGHT boy short.

You too, TP...ETA and House Cat...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But from the back...that same highness that looks good in the front pinches my flabby butt cheeks.

I think a short skirt can be very flattering for covering back of leg and butt issues. :oops:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1426876003|3850169 said:

I think a short skirt can be very flattering for covering back of leg and butt issues. :oops:

You'd think so, Missy, it's the logical thing...but on me I don't think it looks good...

It could be that I just hate skirts...

Shorts are more athletic/edgy feeling to me...maybe that's why I feel more comfortable in them?

But yes, I do agree with you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that if you can find boy shorts that look good it is a more athletic look. I just love the retro feel of the 50's swimsuits with the short skirts and it doesn't hurt that it covers less than flattering body issues either LOL.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1426876294|3850174 said:
I agree that if you can find boy shorts that look good it is a more athletic look. I just love the retro feel of the 50's swimsuits with the short skirts and it doesn't hurt that it covers less than flattering body issues either LOL.

hahaha yes on the right person I think the ones you pointed to can look very nice/stylish. They are just so not me, I'd feel ridiculous (like I do in most dresses and skirts).

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, I think the suit will look great on you. It does not look cutesy in any way. I have never heard a woman say she thought she looked great in a bathing suit who was over 40. We are always so hard on ourselves and most people don't notice all the little problem areas we obsess and drive ourselves crazy about. From how you have described your body it will look great!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1426876103|3850172 said:
missy|1426876003|3850169 said:

You'd think so, Missy, it's the logical thing...but on me I don't think it looks good...

It could be that I just hate skirts...

Shorts are more athletic/edgy feeling to me...maybe that's why I feel more comfortable in them?

But yes, I do agree with you.

I tend to agree and I don't care for the swim skirts either.
I think that the boy shorts look fine and I don't think that they are meant specifically for a younger crowd. We al have different styles that work for us and the key is knowing what works and what doesn't. I'm in my mid-40's and haven't given up the bikini yet, although I am debating about whether or not to buy a stylish one-piece for our trip to Sea World over Spring Break.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a water amusement park I would definitely opt for the one piece momhappy. I think it would be more comfortable and better all around if you kwim.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
back in the day, I liked boy shorts too. I've gained too much weight now and I bought a pair of board shorts and a tankini top instead. I like something longer than a bikini bottom-I feel less exposed but that's just me. I don't see why you couldn't do boy shorts!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
missy|1426882183|3850257 said:
In a water amusement park I would definitely opt for the one piece momhappy. I think it would be more comfortable and better all around if you kwim.

Yup - agreed! =) We have made a reservation at Discovery Cove, which means that we will be doing water activities pretty much all day (including swimming with dolphins). I just think that a one-piece would be more appropriate. I'm not having much luck so far finding one though - I've already ordered 5 and sent them all back. I've got 3 more on the way and I might try to get to the mall next week to try some on in person.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missy|1426871223|3850104 said:

My thighs do that too ;(

I love the 50's style bathing suit with a modest short skirt. I know these suits are not everyone's cup of tea but I find these styles appealing. When done right it looks very pretty IMO. Here are some examples:

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/some-like-it-haute-one-piece-swimsuit-in-red

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/twopiece-swimwear/bathing-beauty-two-piece-swimsuit-in-red

Missy, I found a very similar suit at Macy's last year and took it on our cruise. I was worried that I'd look matronly since I'm in the early 40s crowd, but I actually got quite a few compliments. My hubby liked it too (though he prefers me with my stomach showing...it's my best feature). I was quite surprised by how good it looked!

CJ, if you can rock it, I say "go for it"! 40 is the new 20 (or so they tell me!) :naughty:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spent my 'youth' in Laguna Beach and I can tell you that if you have the right attitude you can wear any swimsuit ya want and look just fine. The only people who used to get laffed at on the beach were the old dudes wearing the banana slings :lol: accessorized with black socks.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think the answer to this questions depends more on the body, and the age. If you look good in it, it's all good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1426884604|3850275 said:
missy|1426871223|3850104 said:

My thighs do that too ;(

Missy, I found a very similar suit at Macy's last year and took it on our cruise. I was worried that I'd look matronly since I'm in the early 40s crowd, but I actually got quite a few compliments. My hubby liked it too (though he prefers me with my stomach showing...it's my best feature). I was quite surprised by how good it looked!

CJ, if you can rock it, I say "go for it"! 40 is the new 20 (or so they tell me!) :naughty:

I agree Yenny. It can be a very flattering style! And also I think elegant and demure. :kiss:

I also agree that 40 is the new 20 and 50 (almost!) the new 30 right? :cheeky: It certainly isn't the same 40's and 50's our grandparents experienced.

CJ I agree 100% with everyone who said it isn't the bathing suit so much as it is how it looks on you. If you look good in it (and that comes down to your definition of good because if you are confident you will rock it) then it is age appropriate. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results