shape
carat
color
clarity

Are all AGSL certified diamonds engraved???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rijndael

Rough_Rock
Hello, I recently ordered a diamond from BlueNile and on the AGSL certificate they had for it online it does not have the engraving note listed in the comments section. Is this really bad? Do all the diamonds that go through AGSL get engraved? Thanks, Doug

rijndael

Rough_Rock
So you mean the diamond that I am going to receive will most likely have the engraving on it and it''s just not listed on the certification?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGSL offers girdle engraving as an optional, additional service to their various lab products. They aren''t all that related. If the stone was engraved prior to or at the same time as the lab exam then it will be mentioned on the report. If it was engraved after the exam, either by them or by someone else, it will not be mentioned.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
GIA Inscriptions

On Dossier Reports ( Small ones for stones under 1 carat) the inscription is included in this cert.

AGSL Inscription

If it is requested at the time of grading it is noted on the report.

AGSL will inscribe your stone at a low cost within a few days, if it was graded by them. You have to submit the report, and the stone to them. They might upon request, issue and updated report.

Rockdoc

Jimbo34

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2005 9:17:37 AM
Author: denverappraiser
AGSL offers girdle engraving as an optional, additional service to their various lab products. They aren''t all that related. If the stone was engraved prior to or at the same time as the lab exam then it will be mentioned on the report. If it was engraved after the exam, either by them or by someone else, it will not be mentioned.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Neil, Just wondered what your thoughts are in buying a Diamond that doesn''t have an engraved number on the girdle at time of purchase? It is a little safer isn''t it if the diamond already has one on when you are inspecting it before purchase is finalized?

Jimbo

Jimbo34

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2005 8:23
6.gif
7 AM
Author: rijndael
So you mean the diamond that I am going to receive will most likely have the engraving on it and it''s just not listed on the certification?
If it hasn''t been delivered yet call and ask them to put one on it and to make sure the certificate matches the number on the diamond, if they won''t do it for no additional charge I would look elsewhere for a diamond.

Jimbo

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Jimbo.

I’m would not recommend making it a deal killer as you’ve suggested but, yes, I rather like the numbers, especially on high clarity stones. It’s not normally an expensive service and they make it easier for customers to have a decent chance of recognizing their particular stone. Most of the labs and a quite a few others offer this service. Unfortunately, there’s no one in Denver that has the laser so it’s a tad inconvenient for me and my walk in customers to get it done quickly but most of the big labs and a fair number of other people offer this service for a very reasonable price if you’re interested in it. $50 plus any required shipping is usually more than enough. I use www.progem.com for most of mine. If you’re the client ordering the lab report from GIA, AGSL or EGL-USA, it’s very convenient to simply buy it from them at the same time you buy their other services. Increasingly the dealers are doing exactly this when they order up the lab exams in the first place.

I’ve considered getting one of the lasers for doing this but they’re quite expensive and the service from the outside vendors is remarkably cheap. The end result it that I’m perfectly happy to let other people do it.

It''s also worth noting that if the dealer selling the stone doesn''t own it, they don''t necessarily have permission to do this prior to your purchase, nor would I expect them to be anxious to spend money enhancing someone elses inventory unless it leads fairly directly to a sale.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i had my stone inscribed ($30 fee),when it was at AGS lab for certification.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We seem to have managed to identify diamonds quite well prior to laser inscriptions.

I cant remeber the last time I looked to read one. The stone plot and the color clarity is usually ample - I never ever trust just the lab report any way - no way will I buy some of the grainy stones I saw last week with very soft GIA reports.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2005 4:29:20 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
We seem to have managed to identify diamonds quite well prior to laser inscriptions.

I cant remeber the last time I looked to read one. The stone plot and the color clarity is usually ample - I never ever trust just the lab report any way - no way will I buy some of the grainy stones I saw last week with very soft GIA reports.
Garry
when you say "grainy" do you mean alot of tiny pin points ? was the color off too?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results