shape
carat
color
clarity

Arcadian''s cousin .....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with everything Arcadian has said. My stone is probably an 8/10. It has a wonderful pure green colour (only showing blue in incandescent lights - and absolutely no yellow despite what the photos say)! I hadn''t looked at mine since buying it (haven''t been in the right frame of mind) but I had promised to take a video to show some friends. I opened the packet and was very pleasantly surprised. Not only is the colour a gorgeous pure colour, the clarity is gorgeous. It does perform very nicely and it was interesting seeing it with fresh eyes. I spent hours trying to take photos today and videos and the end result is that I honestly can''t capture the colour or the beauty. It''s impossible. When I look through the camera lens I see a dull, cloudy stone with extinction. I move the lens away and with my eyes I see a glowing green glittering stone! Very very peculiar. This was the best photo but even this isn''t great ....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2010 5:53:58 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I totally agree with everything Arcadian has said. My stone is probably an 8/10. It has a wonderful pure green colour (only showing blue in incandescent lights - and absolutely no yellow despite what the photos say)! I hadn''t looked at mine since buying it (haven''t been in the right frame of mind) but I had promised to take a video to show some friends. I opened the packet and was very pleasantly surprised. Not only is the colour a gorgeous pure colour, the clarity is gorgeous. It does perform very nicely and it was interesting seeing it with fresh eyes. I spent hours trying to take photos today and videos and the end result is that I honestly can''t capture the colour or the beauty. It''s impossible. When I look through the camera lens I see a dull, cloudy stone with extinction. I move the lens away and with my eyes I see a glowing green glittering stone! Very very peculiar. This was the best photo but even this isn''t great ....
LD,
This is the same problem I have when photographing my tsavorite. I do have better luck with videos though. Green is the most difficult color to photograph for my camera.

Thanks for the smudge free last pic
2.gif
, and I am so happy to hear how pleased you and Arcadian are with your stones. 8/10 is a great rating!!
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2010 4:31:03 PM
Author: Arcadian
Chrono, I''m not sure if its just this particular parcel or the cut of the stones (could be both?)

Mine does in fact glow like mad. it gets blueish in incandescents which I think is a particularly nice thing but it still remains quite glowy. Its got a great sparkle factor IRL as well. That just dosen''t come across on digital cameras though.

I don''t consider mine a 10 out of 10 stone but for the price, I have to say they are a very good value. I feel that mine at least is a 8 out of 10 stone. It meets my immediate need, it wasn''t overly expensive and was within the budget I wanted to stay within. I wish it were bigger but thats for another day
2.gif

10 out of 10 stone is way too far outside of my budget at this time (unless I win the lottery or get me a sugar daddy...lol)

Trust me, I''m not poopooing or anything, because you have exquisite taste which in some stones translates into some serious moola. Hell I''d take your bad stones!! lol

Today I got to see mine in full on sun and about fell over, its pretty darn amazing. I took some more pics, but they do not even tell the real life story. I have more luck with the darn sphene than this thing.

I put up mine in the vendor comparison thread. (its not the best shot, but I already tipped it out once outside, I didn''t want that happening again) For color its spot on to what Eric put up there, so I have no complaints to that.

-A
A,
Your stone looks great; really! Perhaps LD''s picture taking skills are lacking.
9.gif
Her newest picture shows a nicer stone and 8/10 is a good buy, considering the price paid.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD- that is such a beautiful stone color and shape!!!
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like green is you Achilles heel like orange is to me camera. I have the same problem: I look at the stone and it''s burning my retinas. I look through the view finder and see a dull yellow/brown thing. Shocked, I look back at the stone and it''s looking shocking orange again. Oh well...
20.gif
If that''s the case, it sounds like it''s a super stone!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I love Tsav''s and want one some day.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2010 9:15:41 PM
Author: Chrono

Sounds like green is you Achilles heel like orange is to me camera. I have the same problem: I look at the stone and it''s burning my retinas. I look through the view finder and see a dull yellow/brown thing. Shocked, I look back at the stone and it''s looking shocking orange again. Oh well...
20.gif
LD, Chrono,
For the love of everything beautiful about gems, PLEASE GET NEW CAMERAS!!!!
12.gif
12.gif
12.gif
12.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like green is your Achilles heel like orange is to my camera. I have the same problem: I look at the stone and it''s burning my retinas. I look through the view finder and see a dull yellow/brown thing. Shocked, I look back at the stone and it''s looking shocking orange again. Oh well...
20.gif
Oh good grief! I see a ton of errors and I can''t fix it now because TL has quoted me, mis-spellings and all.
39.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2010 10:11:20 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

20.gif
LD, Chrono,
12.gif
12.gif
12.gif
12.gif
Now then Mrs TL. I actually own a Canon so this isn''t a cheap point and shoot jobbie! However I do agree, I may need a new camera. I know this is odd but I wonder if the lighting in the UK (which is grey at the best of times) makes a difference because when I''m abroad, I can photograph my Emeralds and they come out true to life!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My last camera, which was horrible with capturing color of any kind, was an older model Canon. The newer ones seem to be a lot better.
2.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1 year old and still can''t capture green.
38.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some cameras are great at capturing portraits or landscapes, but stink at macro mode. When buying any future camera, I will try to look for those that do a good job capturing color in macro mode.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Easier said than done! Thought I had done it with this camera but it''s a bit difficult to whip an alexandrite out and start photographing it in the right lighting conditions before buying!
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought mine because it was supposed to have good macro mode and while it can capture most colors pretty well, it sucks at green too. The only time I can truly capture the green of my tsavorite is in a video of the stone with this camera. It is vastly better than my last camera though. It''s a Nikon coolpix.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not fair to use an Alexandrite in choosing which camera is best able to capture its true colour. Those colour changers and shifters are a PITA to photograph no matter what you use.
9.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since my panasonic lumix g1 I don't use it in macro mode. I have the option but choose to shoot in manual mode and with a macro lense. Standard lense also works well, though I do have a recent leica M series macro lense that really kicks butt
36.gif
. The insect kingdom is going to hate me come spring!
31.gif

My Sony 8.1 P&S tends to do well with color too, but can have an issue with some greens (why green of all things??) Here is the only place is use the macro button.

Lumix are certainly cheaper than Leica cameras by a LONG shot and they they do tend to have a different photo flavor, but you get the pleasure of using some of the best lenses in the world. the G1 is really a lovely camera to have. If you have a place to play around with a few cameras I certainly would recommend it.

I almost opted for the Pentax K20D, which is in the same price range but it was amazingly heavy
14.gif
(its all the weatherproofing)

I heard the newest Sony cybershot P&S are pretty good, but of course they have the better sensor too.

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2010 11:32:12 AM

Date: 1/21/2010 10:11:20 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

20.gif
LD, Chrono,
12.gif
12.gif
12.gif
12.gif
Now then Mrs TL. I actually own a Canon so this isn''t a cheap point and shoot jobbie! However I do agree, I may need a new camera. I know this is odd but I wonder if the lighting in the UK (which is grey at the best of times) makes a difference because when I''m abroad, I can photograph my Emeralds and they come out true to life!!!
Totally agree - I read that climate in Seattle is very much similar to that of UK. I, too, can not capture green with my camera and it is a new Sony. In Florida, my stones were pretty green and I enjoyed them, but here everything is washed out and grey - faces, stones.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have any green to try, but I have a Lumix G1 too...no decent macro lens. I did upgrade my point and shoot Panasonic to the Lumix ZS-3 which takes awesome zoomed macros (and video) and am very glad that I did. The really up-close shots I have taken and posted were from that camera.

Laura

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I love the colour.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results