shape
carat
color
clarity

Aqua Setting Search continues!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, everyone!
35.gif

So, a little recap--I am still working on an aqua ring that my DH is gifting to me as a (quite belated!) wedding gift. I received Dan Stair''s lovely aqua this winter, and although the cut was PRECISELY what I was looking for, and it complimented the stone beautifully, the color was a little too light for what I wanted. Dan was a doll, though--I would work with him again in a heartbeat!

I then enlisted Jeff White to custom cut an aqua, which is now complete and I am waiting (impatiently! hehe) to receive it (the photo he sent me is attached).

Now, I''m having trouble with the setting situation. See, the more I think about it, the more I think I will be unhappy with just a cheapy setting, mostly because I am underwhelmed with what I''ve seen on ebay from various trusted sellers for this piece which I consider to be an important one, and which I want to keep for the rest of my life (and pass it on to my future children!)

I think my dream setting would be a WG three stone with some pretty (though not outrageously large or white) step-cut side diamonds. I always wanted a three-stone engagement ring (cushion with trillions, though I am now quite happy with my cushion solitaire), and now I am thinking that maybe I can convince my DH (who really does not get the whole jewelry thing) that this ring can be a wedding/birthday/next-Christmas/other-future-holiday gift and get a more expensive setting than I was originally thinking.

How much do you think I''d be looking at if I set it in a three-stone with baguettes or traps? Does anyone have an idea as to how to keep costs down but still have a really pretty forever-setting for my aqua?

Any help would be, as always, SO appreciated!

Jeff White aqua123.JPG

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Hey Alli!

I recently used an Etsy jeweler to set my studs and I was so, so pleased with their work. Additionally, OUPearGirl recently had her aquamarine set in WG with tapered baguettes on the shoulder for an extremely reasonable price by the same jeweler.

Her thread is here.

My stud thread here.

I would definitely contact them and ask about a custom piece. As far as I know, they can source side stones for you.

Their Etsy store is here.

Drop then a note (conversation on Etsy) and ask for a quote!

Your stone is lovely, by the way! I really adore aquamarines.

ETA: My initial project with them was the sliding bezel pedants in my avatar for my bridesmaids. I definitely plan on working with them in the future on other projects!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crikey - I nearly had heart failure! That looks EXACTLY like my Aqua!!! Here are some piccies of it before being set and then how I finally set it:

Aquamarine%20Asscher1.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty aquas ladies! I would most likely set that aqua with emerald or baguette side stones set N/S flanking the center, or a setting like LD''s with baguettes going E/W.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh! Clairitek! I have no idea how I missed OUpeargirl''s lovely ring, but thank you so much for posting that info! What a beauty! And your bezel pendants look so pretty--I bet your bridesmaids loved them! I contacted the etsy seller and we''ll see what he says--thank you so much agan for the information!

LD--your aqua is such a beauty! May I ask where you found your setting? It looks like something I''d certainly be interested in!

Thanks again, ladies! You are so helpful!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2010 3:15:47 PM
Author: alli_esq
Ohhhh! Clairitek! I have no idea how I missed OUpeargirl''s lovely ring, but thank you so much for posting that info! What a beauty! And your bezel pendants look so pretty--I bet your bridesmaids loved them! I contacted the etsy seller and we''ll see what he says--thank you so much agan for the information!

LD--your aqua is such a beauty! May I ask where you found your setting? It looks like something I''d certainly be interested in!

Alli it''s a super dooper cheapy ring from LOGR! For the price, the baguettes are VS quality and lovely and white so there''s no need to spend more money on updating the diamonds. The only criticism is that the shank is quite lightweight but in all honesty, you don''t notice that when it''s on and it doesn''t twist to the side either.

This is the one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Princess-5-5mm-Diamond-14k-White-Gold-Semi-Mount-Ring_W0QQitemZ390179982912QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiamond_Solitaire_with_Accents?hash=item5ad88a0e40

All you have to do is tell LOGR the size of your stone and they will custom maKe it to fit (don''t forget to tell them the cut also so they can adapt the prongs). They do charge for customisation but for this ring it''s not too much (but I can''t remember how much I paid - sorry).

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, LD! I was thinking that might be the one!

My concern is that I do not have a jeweler that I trust to modify the prongs and I think the prongs might be too large for me (the stone itself isn''t huge, and I don''t want it to be encumbered by metal!)...but your stone is really so pretty...yours looks quite a bit darker (in a very good way!) than the one Jeff just cut for me, but I hope I still like mine!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alli - you could ask LOGR to thin down the prongs for you. I completely forgot and so they are big BUT I have to say that when the ring is on, you don''t notice them as much as in the photos! If you do go with LOGR it would be worth sending them photos of the sort of prongs you want.

I think that actually our Aqua''s are probably very similar in tone. Just the photos are taken in different lighting conditions. Mine sometimes looks very blue and at other times it''s more silvery grey. I love this out of focus photo just because of the blue fire!!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2010 3:15:47 PM
Author: alli_esq

You''re welcome for the information. I adore Danielm on Etsy! My next project with them will be setting my minty green tourmaline that I''ve been holding on to for well over a year now. Good luck finding a setting.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Alli, I have the oval version of the LOGR setting that LD linked to - it does depend on the jeweler.

I had one made for a cushion and one for an asscher, and my jeweler was able to shave down the prongs considerably for the cushion but not as much for the asscher.

Here is the link to the setting I got:

LOGR oval

Here is the asscher:
original.aspx

And the cushion:
original.aspx

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2010 8:44:48 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Alli, I have the oval version of the LOGR setting that LD linked to - it does depend on the jeweler.

I had one made for a cushion and one for an asscher, and my jeweler was able to shave down the prongs considerably for the cushion but not as much for the asscher.

Here is the link to the setting I got:

LOGR oval

Here is the asscher:
original.aspx

And the cushion:
original.aspx
Those simple baguette LOGR''s are so understated, but elegant and versatile.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Agreed. I love that setting! Very elegant.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love those settings!!!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
the LOGR settings are lovely!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!

TL I agree - the settings work so well with so many different stone shapes and colors. I can see myself getting a few more until I''m all baguetted out
3.gif
Maybe a YG one for my citrine asscher to round out the metal collection!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results