shape
carat
color
clarity

Aqua ER - pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ice_princess

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone

I haven''t been on here for a while. I was just wondering if anyone here has an aqua ering and whether they could let me know how hardwearing they are. I simply looooove them. They just have the most beatiful colour and although it''s hard to beat the sparkle of a diamond ering, I''m really strongly considering having one.
I know this is probably more suitable to the coloured ring thread but I wanted to know about erings specifically as it would have to withstand being worn every single day. Also, are they quite sparkly? I haven''t had an aqua before and I would love to know from someone who actually has one as an ering. Feel free to include pictures
emwink.gif

Thanks

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about the durability, but I also LOVE aquamarine. I think that would make a gorgeous ering!

I do remember hearing that aquamarine is the same type of stone as an emerald, just in a different color, and I''ve seen emeralds used as erings.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hi there! I got an emerald-cut aqua (0.8ct) for Christmas from my boyfriend (no, it isn''t my engagement ring, although lots of people have asked me if it is!), and mostly because of the cut, it isn''t sparkly exactly, but it looks lovely and quite elegant (in my very-biased opinion
9.gif
)! Were you thinking of maybe having an aqua center stone with diamond sidestones? My ring has tiny diamond sidestones and they add a nice amount of sparkle to my little ring.
1.gif

I''m sure other ladies could help you out more with suggestions--with diamonds, a round will give you the most sparkle, so that might be the case for an aqua? Have you seen any in person to know what shape you like best?

I''ll attach a photo of my ring, just because it''s topical. It''s a cloudy day, so this was taken with the lights on and the flash STILL went off.
3.gif

In natural light, you can see more of the colour, but it''s still a fairly light-coloured aqua, which I like personally. Anyway, here y''go. Apologies for my giant fingers.
1.gif

DSC0360098374958.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I''ve read here several times that aqua isn''t durable enough for a daily wear ring. I''m sure a colored stone expert will chime in but I believe that''s what I''ve read!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Gwendolyn--such a pretty aqua!

I love aquamarines. They're not as durable as diamonds, but it depends how you wear it. I'm really careful with my rings--I don't wear them cooking, cleaning, or anything of the sort. If you wear it carefully, like any other stone, it should be okay--I would baby it.
1.gif

I think a round or oval cut is going to give you the maximum sparkle. Catmom has a super sparkly gorgeous round aqua. I also love aquamarine in step cuts. I think an emerald cut or an asscher cut would be STUNNING! In fact, I've never seen an asscher cut aqua--must find this!

I think it's a lovely idea for an ering!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have a round small aqua. It''s not an ering but it is in an ering antique-style setting.

kvlaqua126.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Logan, I have never seen an Aqua that color, or that deep. So awesome!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Logan, that is a GORGEOUS ring!!!!!!!!
30.gif

ETA: Oh, coatimundi, I'm sorry, I got so caught up in Logan Sapphire's gorgeous ring that I didn't see your comment about mine! Thank you so much! J picked it out completely on his own, so I'm rather proud of him.
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2008 10:23:35 AM
Author: Ellen
Logan, I have never seen an Aqua that color, or that deep. So awesome!

Wow! the depth of that color-- gorgeous!
That would make a lovely ering for sure!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love aquas and think one would make a lovely ering. Yes, they are not rated very high on the moh''s scale but it depends on how hard you are on jewelry. If you find you scratch up your rings or if you have ever chipped or scratched a stone; it might not be good for daily wear. If you take off your ring whenever you are doing something that can hurt it you''d probably be fine. Before I knew better I wore rings all the time and chipped and broke many of my rings or stones. Now that I''m more aware of what I''m doing most of my jewelry looks brand new. I take off rings when I cook, clean, do dishes, shower, wash my hands, dig around in drawers or a filing cabinet, etc. I can''t wait to see what you get.

ejsarkar

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I don''t know about durability but they sure are gorgeous!

Topazery has some stunning aqua e-rings: http://www.topazery.com/aquamarine-engagement-rings.htm

Another idea might be to get a diamond ering and pair it with an aqua or aqua/dia WB? A while back someone on here was planning to get a Beverly K WB with aquas and then a diamond solitaire to go with it. (pic below)

Good luck!

bevkaqua.jpg

ejsarkar

Shiny_Rock
Another gorgeous aqua WB (from topazery)

aquawb.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to rain on anyone''s parade, but I do not think they are durable enough for an e-ring if you plan to wear it most of your waking hours 7 days a week. I was looking at an aquamarine Tiffany Legacy ring on ebay a couple of days ago, and I think it was less than a year old, and it already had wear to the table facets. As far as I am concerned (just my opinion), sapphires and rubies are the only colored stones (other than diamonds) hard enough for a lifetime wear as an engagement ring. Of course, you could periodically have the stone changed, but that would be a little trouble.

ice_princess

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all your opinions everyone. Sorry I didn''t reply before. I had some trouble logging in one my work computer. Gorgeous rings Gwendolyn and Logan!!
30.gif
30.gif
I just love the colour of aquamarines but I''m really worried about the wear and tear on it if I wear it every day. I''l have to think about it some more. Thanks again x

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results