shape
carat
color
clarity

aqua cabochon advice/ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
my best friend is expecting her first (due at the end of march) and i''m thinking about putting together a something for her as what i guess is now called a ''push present'' (although i''m not fond of that term). i''m thinking necklace/pendant since its something that she''ll be able to wear even if her fingers are still swollen and she''s changing poopy diapers. i don''t want to do something to obviously a birthstone/mommy thing, so i''m thinking about using an aqua cab as the main stone, probably in 18k YG to get a really nice contrast -- maybe even with a satin finish. i''d love to be able to add her birthstone (diamond) and her husband''s (citrine) as well.

that''s my idea, now my questions:
(1) what should i look for in an aqua cab and which vendors are likely to have something like this?
(2) what are some ideas for working in the parents'' birthstones (probably faceted) without it looking weird, esp since b/c of costs these will probably have to be much smaller than the cab (i could go bigger on citrine than diamond but i think its more appropriate to have both parents stones be similar in size). maybe rose cuts?
(3) what vendors would be a good fit for something like this? i''m thinking maybe jkt since i''m envisioning bezels...

i''ll be posting some sketches and/or mock ups as i have the opportunity. thanks as always for your input and guidance!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe Gemselect seems to be a decent place to get cabbed stones. I’m not sure which regular PSer purchased a spessartite and rhodolite cab from them and they were very inexpensive yet pretty. I like the idea of contrast with a satin finish in 18K yellow gold. It reminds me of the aqua cab in a bezel 18K yellow satiny ring on ACS a few months ago which another PSer purchased. As with all cabs, you don’t want it to look too included and of course, a good rich colour is usually at the top of the list.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 8:21:46 AM
Author:enbcfsobe
my best friend is expecting her first (due at the end of march) and i'm thinking about putting together a something for her as what i guess is now called a 'push present' (although i'm not fond of that term). i'm thinking necklace/pendant since its something that she'll be able to wear even if her fingers are still swollen and she's changing poopy diapers. i don't want to do something to obviously a birthstone/mommy thing, so i'm thinking about using an aqua cab as the main stone, probably in 18k YG to get a really nice contrast -- maybe even with a satin finish. i'd love to be able to add her birthstone (diamond) and her husband's (citrine) as well.

that's my idea, now my questions:
(1) what should i look for in an aqua cab and which vendors are likely to have something like this?
(2) what are some ideas for working in the parents' birthstones (probably faceted) without it looking weird, esp since b/c of costs these will probably have to be much smaller than the cab (i could go bigger on citrine than diamond but i think its more appropriate to have both parents stones be similar in size). maybe rose cuts?
(3) what vendors would be a good fit for something like this? i'm thinking maybe jkt since i'm envisioning bezels...

i'll be posting some sketches and/or mock ups as i have the opportunity. thanks as always for your input and guidance!
I have an aqua cab pendant that could be adapted to fit your criteria.

Its Aqua, mother of pearl, blue topaz but the MOP could be changed to a citrine and the blue topaz could be diamond.

you'd have to scale it down cos if you kept it at its current scale you would need 3x ~0.75ct diamonds (expensive)

I will try to post pictures tomorrow (need to charge camera batteries)

ETA: I have a blue diamond, brownish orange diamond and white diamond ring and always get lots of compliments on the colour combo, so think your aqua, citrine, diamond combo would get the same for your friend

ETA Again: I think its a lovely idea that you're getting her a 'push present'

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
thanks, chrono -- i''ll check gemselect and post some options that seem interesting.

MAC-W -- i''m looking forward to seeing your pendant!!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/29/2010 8:58:33 AM
Author: Chrono
I As with all cabs, you don''t want it to look too included and of course, a good rich colour is usually at the top of the list.

I think that the type of inclusion matters more than the amount of inclusions. For instance a very silky aqua is translucent, yet prized for the silkiness. I think what''s really needed in a nice aqua cab is interesting inclusions. Facet grade material made into a cab can be pretty boring, IMO. Here''s a highly included large cab that went to a lady in Switzerland last summer. I sure wish that I had more of these roughs, but they are like hens teeth to find.

Aqua Cab1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 3:07:35 PM
Author: Michael_E
I think that the type of inclusion matters more than the amount of inclusions. For instance a very silky aqua is translucent, yet prized for the silkiness. I think what''s really needed in a nice aqua cab is interesting inclusions. Facet grade material made into a cab can be pretty boring, IMO. Here''s a highly included large cab that went to a lady in Switzerland last summer. I sure wish that I had more of these roughs, but they are like hens teeth to find.
Michael,
You explained it better than I; yes, a silky yet translucent cabochon aquamarine is gorgeous and prized.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that the idea you have is just lovely. Great present for your friend! I like the color combo and the cab that Michael E posted. I too think they would look nice bezeled. Maybe the setter can give you some ideas once they see the stones?

Personally I''m terrible with setting ideas and I''m hoping someone will put up a link with all kinds of ideas...anyone?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a nice gift for your best friend!

Were it me, I would get single pendants to slide onto a chain so she can add other ones as she has more kids, or even years down the road, grandkids.

I dig cabs and all these threads about them are driving me bonkers b/c I want to do a project!

Anyway..so here's some thoughts..these little gemstone eggs from Sally are cute, tho I see there's no aqua...but I like the idea of a little cab egg. These little square kite set pendants are cute. Or something like a simple gold bezel around the cab like this with the parents stones on either side.

Obviously the gem colors and the proportions aren't right, but it's a jumping off point to spark some ideas..and Julia could help you with ideas too-she seems to be able to pull out of a customers mind exactly what they're thinking of. You can have fun, like you said earlier, having different cuts..even different shapes. Maybe an oval cab and 2 round rose cuts, round cab and 2 kite set squares.

I look forward to watching your project progress!

ETA-I was just thinking, I don't know what kind of budget you have in mind, but maybe to keep the cost down you could use Stuller or someplace for the pendants..maybe get a hold of Michael E-he could source the stones for you too prolly.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
What a sweet thing to do! I like the idea of push presents coming from non-husband/partner people.

I think eggs are really cute for a pregnant lady, and generally agree with Pack that something that can be added to is nice. If your friend is due in March, Julia''s timeline may not really work for you as I think she is pretty backed up, but perhaps Sally, or again, like Pack said, Michael E, could help you come up with something. Having someone else source the stones could be really helpful with this timeline.

Have fun!Keep us updated!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the ideas!!
Novel -- I''ve actually thought about not doing the present until her birthday at the end of april because she''s due at the very end of march, and it would be a problem if she actually doesn''t pop the kid out until april (then aqua''s the wrong stone...) Although I could always keep it and just get her a whiteflash pendant if the kid doesn''t arrive until april.

I''m trying to find aquas that have that silkyness of the one michael e posted above but not having much luck. The ones at gemselect all seem very glassy and the reviews for that site are not making me inclined to trust their pictures at all...

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I''m having better luck finding design ideas than I am finding aqua cabs.

What about something like this or this (both from etsy -- not aquas and higher carat gold than i''d be able to afford for a piece of any substantial size!) ...but maybe mirroring the top swirl on the bottom also and dangling two little stones from there as eggs (then i could even use a rough diamond) or tiny bezel set discs...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results