shape
carat
color
clarity

Apraising Question, Deciding between 2 diamonds, need to decide soon, help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynnell

Rough_Rock
So we have it narrowed down to two diamonds. My boyfriend was going to have to finance the diamond then out of the blue he got 2,000 from an inheritance! Praise Jesus we don't have to be in debt for it! Anyway, we have the setting and want to purchase the stone asap. We were going to go ahead and pay for the two diamonds to be sent to a local apraiser to see them together before we decided, but no one in our area is willing to be responsible for them so we have to choose one w/o seeing it first. Both companies have 30 day return policies so if we don't want it we could send it back but will hopefully make the right decision and like the one we get. Any opinions on the cuts of these two diamonds and value compared to the cost would be helpful!!

Asscher cut from www.diamondsonweb.com:

Measurement: 5.11 - 5.09 x 3.20
Carat weight: 0.63
Cut: Excellent
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
L/W Ratio: 1.00
Depth%: 62.9%
Table%: 70%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: Thick to Very Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Certified by GIA and is $1866.00

Cushion cut from www.diamondcutters.com:

.68ct weight
Dimensions: 5.47x5.38x3.20
Depth: 59.5%
Table: 63%
Crown: 15%
Pavilion depth: 42%
Girdle Thickness: Thin, Faceted
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: VS2
Color: E
Certified by EGL Israel and is $1530
(They sent me a photo of this one but don't know how to upload the file here).

We have not been able to locate any independent apraisers or gemologists in our area, but we have found a few appraisers that are GIA certified. Is this good enough? I really don't want to have to drive to a larger city or send out for it.

We were considering a couple other diamonds but fellow pricescopers helped us eliminate those (shallow cuts), so thanks for the help already received and thanks in advance for those who can help us out!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I don't know much about asschers or cushions. Nor do I know anything about Diamondsonweb.com or diamondcutters.com. But here are some other diamonds I found on the Whiteflash website within your price range worth considering. I bought my diamond through Whiteflash (as did MANY others here) who have been very happy with their quality and customer service. The prices listed here are before the Pricescope discount.

Cushion for $1954 .73 H SI

Asscher for $1339 .7 I VS1

Asscher for $1978 .78 J SI1

Here's a link to Good Old Gold (another reputable Pricescope vendor) and their list of asschers.

Good look in your search! If your engagement ring setting is the one in your avatar, I think it's gorgeous!

Lynnell

Rough_Rock
Jelly - Thanks for doing some research for me. I did check with GOG and that was one of the stones that was too shallow and pricescopers weren't too hyped on it. As for the whiteflash ones, I did see those and contacted them about the middle one as it does not have depth, table, etc listed and is a good price but have not heard back yet. The bottom one is way lower quality than we want and the top one, while decent quality, is still is not nearly as good as the D and F SV2s that I have listed. As I mentioned before both companies have good return policies if it doesn't work out. I would like to know if the two cuts listed appear to be decent and if one stands out over the other. I did get posotive feedback on the cushion on my original post but did not yet get replies for the asscher so here they are side by side for comparison. Thanks for your opinion!

What is the pricescope discount?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I would take EGL Israel''s grading with a grain of salt. Numbers, unfortunately, don''t tell us much about how the diamond will look. I can although tell you that you can easily drop down the color grading and maybe go to a slightly larger size.. A G or H colored stone will still look white enough for a platinum setting.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't check if GIA graded E/VS2 -s are out there for comparable price, but with the respective lab report looking for anything down to G-Si1 as a 'match' sounds fair game to me. Of course the diamond itself does not change and the price may be fair etc. but the nagging grading thing is there, as much as I know.

Hopefully there might be a step cut with a less thick girdle and smaller table in the neighbourhood. If this one looks great, why not - I can't tell from those numbers alone
38.gif
If you insisten on less depth hoping to get a larger looking diamond, than the thick girdle surely goes againt that - it 'eats eu' more material than a few % points of depth, sure that. Large table & small depth does not sound encouraging, but my expectation could be far from the truth without seeing that diamond. At least the report makes the high grade sound reliable.

Just my 0.2

Lynnell

Rough_Rock
Okay, I think I found a better asshcer than the one above (less thick girdle and smaller table). Here are the specs.

http://www.overnightdiamonds.com/
Stock Number: 7957792
.67ct
VS1
H
GIA Report
Depth: 65.9
Table: 60
Girdle: Medium
Cutlet: None
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
5.04 x 5.03 x 3.32
$1798.00

Again, any reccomendations on deciding between the cushion above and this asscher?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2005 1:33:52 PM
Author: Lynnell
Okay, I think I found a better asshcer than the one above (less thick girdle and smaller table). Here are the specs.

http://www.overnightdiamonds.com/

Stock Number: 7957792

.67ct

VS1

H

GIA Report

Depth: 65.9

Table: 60

Girdle: Medium

Cutlet: None

Symmetry: Excellent

Polish: Excellent

5.04 x 5.03 x 3.32

$1798.00

Again, any reccomendations on deciding between the cushion above and this asscher?

this ones numbers are a ton better but asschers are diamonds you cant buy online without pictures and just expect to get good ones.

Lynnell

Rough_Rock
Strmdr-

Thanks for your opinion, that is what we are thinking too. We figure there is more room for error with the asscher than the cushion. Asshcers I''ve been told have to be more perfect because there aren''t as many facets to cover imperfections. If all things were equal I''d preffer the asscher cut, i think, but we were leaning towards the cushion as the safer cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results