shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisers that do detailed appraisals in CA?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I’ve used Charles Carmona and Patrick Davis in the past but a long long time ago.

Are there any updated recommendations for the best go-tos? Especially for antique diamonds and signed pieces that are pretty much irreplaceable?

I had a recent experience with insurance being a pain in the ass due to less-than-specific detailing on something so I want to make sure I’m protected appropriately. I’m not willing to ship so looking for a local provider within CA that I can drive or fly to.

Thanks!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following, as I'm interested too. I was less than impressed with a recent experience with the first appraiser, but it was not for an insurance appraisal.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@denverappraiser does a very detailed appraisal. I've worked with Neil in the past and highly recommend him!

I haven’t worked with Neil before, surprisingly. Is he well versed in antiques? My two immediate needs are antique (one just the stone authentic antique in new setting, one whole piece that is signed).

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t worked with Neil before, surprisingly. Is he well versed in antiques? My two immediate needs are antique (one just the stone authentic antique in new setting, one whole piece that is signed).

His website states he does antique appraisals. I'm not sure how much of his business is antique related. I have tagged him so he will most likely comment to answer your questions.

This is his website: https://americangemregistry.com/

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
His website states he does antique appraisals. I'm not sure how much of his business is antique related. I have tagged him so he will most likely comment to answer your questions.

This is his website: https://americangemregistry.com/

Thank you! A flight to Colorado won’t be super long but hard to do with an infant. I’d be willing to, though, if it meant a proper appraisal!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barbra Voltaire is wonderful and she’s part of the American Society of Jewelry Historians. She appraised an emerald ring for me recently and she was far more thorough than three other appraisers I’ve used in the Bay Area.

I’ll be going back when my Belle Epoque ring arrives.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barbra Voltaire is wonderful and she’s part of the American Society of Jewelry Historians. She appraised an emerald ring for me recently and she was far more thorough than three other appraisers I’ve used in the Bay Area.

I’ll be going back when my Belle Epoque ring arrives.

This is absolutely perfect. I just found out she worked for Lang for 30 years, too!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Of course, a detailed and accurate appraisal has importance in satisfying a fair replacement, but with unique estate items, especially those with well known name brands, getting the right amount of value is primary. You can make a replacement with nearly any equivalent value item, but you must do the proper shopping to find it. An insurance company is not going to go into the detailed selection process for you. They don't truly have the expertise and you are the best judge of what suits YOU, Insurers care about replacing your lost item with something within their budget. You, on the other hand, have concerns over the brand, the condition, the design, and the gemstones. All of those concerns are big ones with fine estate jewelry, but not something the insurance company can handle as well as you.

Finding an appraiser who has experience in estate items and name brand items is an essential part of the mix. Getting sufficient, yet not excessive monetary coverage is mostly on the knowledge of your chosen appraiser.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Replacement and replication are not an option with most antiques. They will want a valuation based on “like kind and quality”. They want to see comparable sales (not just offers). Usually that means auctions. That’s what the appraiser is for. Barbra Voltaire is well qualified to do this but I’m a little concerned about expectations here. Yes, insurance companies are difficult to work with at claims time and antiques are a particularly difficult area. It’s rare for people to walk away happy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results