shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisers in Pittsburgh?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
I have searched the forum and I have not found a recommended jewelry appraiser from the Pittsburgh, PA area. Using the ''Appreaiser'' link under ''Resources'', I have found that the closest appraiser is over 150 miles away. This isn''t too far away, but I would hate to drive over 300 miles to confirm my purchase.

Does anybody have any experience with a local Pittsburgh appraiser? I had thought about asking my insurance agent, but then I thought that they would have a vested interest in the appraisal and might not be the best source of information? Any thoughts? I''m all ears...

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
Bump...

I''ve continued looking, but in the Yellow Pages, they are all listed under the jewelry store that they work for. I was looking for an independent appraiser and I''m not having any luck. My insurance agent only suggested using an appraiser from one of the mall stores, so I''m still looking.

I''ve looked at www.appraisers.org and I''ve found nothing:

# You have selected: State: Pennsylvania
# Metropolitan Statistical Area: PITTSBURGH PA
# Discipline: Gems & Jewelry

There are no Appraisal Experts who match your search criteria.

Why is it so hard getting an independent appraisal in Pittsburgh? I have the ring, all the certificates, and I just need their slip of paper so that I can insure it. Maybe I should just resort to letting the mall jeweler take a look at it and type up a report for my insurance agent.

I hope I can get this done soon so that I can pass the ring on to its new owner.

ETA - I''m going to call some of the local jewelers to see if, in fact, their appraisers are actually independent and only use the storefront to get clients and have no formal relationship with the shopkeeper. I figure that''s a possibility...

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I'd maybe call some of the local independent jewelery stores, like Orrs and Henne. They could probably point you in the right direction. I'd trust them over the maul jewelery stores any day!

If you find one, let me know!

Just a few ideas...

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
I''ve talked to Urbanowicz Jewelers in Caste Village and they will do an appraisal, but they want me to drop off the ring for about a week. I asked if I could be present during the appraisal and he said that they do the appraisals between other tasks so they can''t predict when it will actually take place.

As for Orrs and Henne, I''ve never heard of them, but I''ll try to call them when I get back into the office on Monday. Maybe they''ll do the trick...

Ohio Rocks

Rough_Rock
I''d call Grafner Brothers in Pittsburgh too. I got my e-ring from them and could not be happier with the customer service. I''m sure they might be able to help you out.

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
Update - I ended up driving to Columbus Ohio yesterday to meet with Mitchell Dustin of Northern Appraisal Services (website). He is also listed on the Independent Appraiser list here at Pricescope. It was a bit of a drive, but I would recommend him to anyone in Ohio.

Mitchell spent a solid hour with me and my fiancee looking at the diamond ring and talking us through the whole process. He is personable and made me very comfortable with my diamond (showing me all distinguishing marks that I should know about).

All I needed was an insurance appraisal and I felt he went above and beyond in providing me as much information as he could ascertain. I believe his rate was more than reasonable at $90 for our 3-stone ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results