shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal issue

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday I received an appraisal for my studs, pendant, and eternity ring. I went to a well-known store here in DC for just a "quickie" sort of appraisal that I needed for insurance purposes. The appraiser correctly noted that my studs were ideal, with GIA #s inscribed on the girdle. However, he apparently failed to note the H&A AGS # inscribed on the pendant, and did not rate the diamond as ideal. Is this something I should bring to his attention? Is it appropriate to ask him to add this info to the appraisal?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Rich from Sarasota- I used to live in Bradenton! How are things down there?

CountryBoy

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased an AGS 0 ideal cut diamond. Cut was of the most importance to me, and the appraiser I used understood this. I point blank asked him to put as much cut information into the appraisel as he could and not just list it as "ideal." I wanted to make sure that if the diamond were lost that my insurance company would have to replace it with a stone that is truly ideal by AGS standards and not someone else''s "ideal" standards. The appraiser documented the crown and pavillion angles and percentages along with the cut and symmetry. He even verfied the AGS number on the girdle and documented that the diamond was an AGS 0. I don''t think it is at all unreasonable to ask your appriaser to document as much of the cut information as possible. In fact, I think it is crucial.
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2005 7:09:33 AM
Author: Logan Sapphire
Rich from Sarasota- I used to live in Bradenton! How are things down there?

Just another day in paradise. I manage to squeeze in an appraisal or two in between margaritas at the beach.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2005 7:11:39 AM
Author: CountryBoy
I recently purchased an AGS 0 ideal cut diamond. Cut was of the most importance to me, and the appraiser I used understood this. I point blank asked him to put as much cut information into the appraisel as he could and not just list it as ''ideal.'' I wanted to make sure that if the diamond were lost that my insurance company would have to replace it with a stone that is truly ideal by AGS standards and not someone else''s ''ideal'' standards. The appraiser documented the crown and pavillion angles and percentages along with the cut and symmetry. He even verfied the AGS number on the girdle and documented that the diamond was an AGS 0. I don''t think it is at all unreasonable to ask your appriaser to document as much of the cut information as possible. In fact, I think it is crucial.
1.gif

Bingo we have a winner :}
In my opinion:
Any criteria that went into selecting a specific diamond should be on the appraisal.
Same with the setting.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2005 8:12:50 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 8/4/2005 7:11:39 AM
Author: CountryBoy
I recently purchased an AGS 0 ideal cut diamond. Cut was of the most importance to me, and the appraiser I used understood this. I point blank asked him to put as much cut information into the appraisel as he could and not just list it as ''ideal.'' I wanted to make sure that if the diamond were lost that my insurance company would have to replace it with a stone that is truly ideal by AGS standards and not someone else''s ''ideal'' standards. The appraiser documented the crown and pavillion angles and percentages along with the cut and symmetry. He even verfied the AGS number on the girdle and documented that the diamond was an AGS 0. I don''t think it is at all unreasonable to ask your appriaser to document as much of the cut information as possible. In fact, I think it is crucial.
1.gif

Bingo we have a winner :}
In my opinion:
Any criteria that went into selecting a specific diamond should be on the appraisal.
Same with the setting.
Oh, I totally agree, but in this case, the pendant is already set. In my experience (and please correct me if I''m wrong), it''s harder to get the all the angles, etc. if the stone is set. I didn''t get it appraised prior to it''s setting b/c the stone came from Superbcert and I trusted them. Is it possible for the appraiser to calculate the angle, etc. since it''s already set?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have the appraiser note the info from the paperwork SC provided,
If you have the info I dont see the need in having it redone.

I dont see why it would be an issue to have the appraiser note that the diamond had an ogi scan with it and the information contained on it.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes it''s more difficult and the margin of error goes up but it''s not impossible. In the case of Superbcert, I think they include pretty good information on most of what they sell and the appraiser can reference some of their documents. If Superb included a Sarin and/or BrillianceScope report for example, the appraiser should include copies of these in their report along with a copy of the lab grading report. If the appraiser missed something, by all means you should point it out and ask if this was a simple oversight or if they disagree with something. If there is important paperwork required, like warranty cards or similar things that may be important but that are not immediately identifiable by examining the piece, you should be sure to provide them.

Storm gave great advice above. If it was important to you during your shopping and you would like it to be considered in case of a replacement, it should be documented in the appraisal.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
OK, now I think I''m overthinking this too much. I called the appraiser, and mentioned the girdle inscription. He said he didn''t see one and that perhaps it was covered by a prong. I told him that I believed that others had seen it and he said to bring it back in and he would take another look at it. Initially, when I told him others have read it, I think what I was thinking was my stone was actually my sister''s stone that Martin Fuller had cleaned and peered at while he was appraising my ering stone. So perhaps it''s true after all that the inscription isn''t visible, in which case I feel totally badly like I was accusing the appraiser of lying.
7.gif
Eesh. Now I''ll feel like a jerk if the inscription really isn''t visible. Oh well. At the least he can add that info to the appraisal, right?
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results