shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal Experience with AGA: Emerald Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Hi regulars,
I finally purchased the EC stone that I was discussing here for a long time. (the story continues below)

Report: GIA
Shape: Emerald
Carat: 1.71 (1.71)
Color: G (H/G)
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 63.3
Table: 61
Crown height:10.7%
Crown Angle: 30.9 degrees
Pavilion Depth: 51%
Pavilion Angle: 56 degrees
Girdle: M-STK
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: Small
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 8.35-6.11X3.87
Length/Width: 1.37

The stone was purchased from Charleston Alexandar in DC-metro. The vendor has a retail price on all stones, and gives an automatic 10% discount on the retail value. I went to the store 3 times, verified with all the knowledge I gained over the last 3 months on PS. I liked the measurements. All numbers fall under 1A cut under AGA standards, except the crown height which falls under 2B. I finally decided to purchase the stone online, as they had that option. The sale price was $11,400, I clicked on the purchase item button, it showed me a shopping cart with price $8,550, I couldn't beleive the price. I couldnt' find a comparable stone for the same price anywhere online. I thought, is this some computer glitch? For all the other stones on their website, the shopping cart price was same as the advertised price. I wanted to sieze the chance, and bought the stone for $8550. Inspite of the great numbers, I had some doubt.

Even though I have heard good things about the local appraiser Martin Fuller, appraiser from Northern Virginia, I wanted to get the stone verified/appraised by AGA, the empire of the trade. I drove from DC to Philly today, and met with Michael Jordan. He was GREAT. He mentioned that the stone is BEAUTIFUL. And that he will give grade 1 (AGA). He said that if he could use words from the dictionary, he would call the stone as "Pop, Bang, BOOM." He verified the the stone is in fact a diamond
emsmilep.gif
. Before looking at the GIA numbers, he did his own measurements. He told me that he thought that the clarity could be VS2/SI1, but told me that it is SI1. When I asked him whether it is closer to VS2 or SI2, he explained to me that he would have believed it if GIA would have reported that it is in VS2. I asked him whether it is eye-clean. He was positive that the stone is eye-clean. He got everything right. He was very informative with lots of jokes here and there.

I never told him the price I bought the stone, and asked him to predict the price. He said that he will be putting $15,400 in the appraisal document. And explained that it would cost that much if I buy that stone in stores like Tiffany. And that it would be $12300 (20% less) from a B&M store or other vendors, and on the low-end it would be about $10400 (15% off of 12300) from online vendors. I was giving him a game face, making him think that I overpaid for it. At the end of it I told him the real price, which is $8400. He was shell shocked.

Anyway, I am one happy customer. All my 1 year of research paid. The great news is that both my girl and I like EC. Michael asked me to comeback after the stone is set, so that he can take some pictures of it. I will post the pictures soon.

Thank you so much for all of your valuable suggestions/opinions/comments. In particular, valeria, windowshopper, oldminer, CutNut, Regular Guy, JohnQuixote, Noobie, Belle, Kberly, laney, pqcollectibles, codex57, ................and many other people.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is great news! glad you took the time to share your story with us! we will be waiting to see those pics!!
36.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Raja,

Congrats on your purchase, and all that it implies for your future. Don''t suppose you got to shoot a few hoops with Michael while you were in Philly?

In all seriousness, best wishes to you and yours. You''re one methodological guy.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! Glad all your research paid off!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the best to you!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Kevin - You''re very welcome. It sounds like you had a blast. What a bargain you got. Your hard work and focus has paid off, now ENJOY that "pop, bang, BOOM!"

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 6:53:31 PM
Author:kevinraja

I drove from DC to Philly today, and met with Michael Jordan. He was GREAT. He mentioned that the stone is BEAUTIFUL.

Okay, I just can't resist...(Ira, I'm with you!)

10.gif

jordanraja.jpg

"Thump"

Did you hear that? I just fell on the floor.

THAT is the deal of the century. Congrats!!!!

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
yippee!!!
36.gif

i cannot wait to see this EC set and on the hand
1.gif
kevin, you should be so proud of yourself, such great research skills
2.gif
hurry and propose and come back with details...congrats on finding an SI1 EC
emthup.gif

you are making me want an EC again (i am so indecisive)

edit to add: ok john, if you can find me an EC like the one with Jordan, i'll take it!

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock

omg omg omg omg

9.gif

that is the cutest thing ever!!

lol is this legal?? copyright someone i can't remember, then John!!

my boyfriend will think i am confused!!! but it's too cute! how about an RB?
2.gif

edit: yeah, maybe this should be KR's avatar..not mine
1.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Kevin - apologies for the commotion in your thread - but it''s only proper that we get the lady the diamond she wants, yes?
21.gif

Kim, here''s the right one for you.

bunnyaca.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
39.gif
this..is...toooo...funny....
39.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did I miss this one ??? Congratulations !
10.gif
... hope to see pictures soon
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results