shape
carat
color
clarity

Apartment hunting in SF (6 month work transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Bay area PSer''s....

I''ll be starting a 6 month transfer to San Francisco on March 1st (I currently live in LA)....I am really super excited about this, because I will be able to do 100% non-profit projects...my one fear, however, is finding a place in the super competitive rental market...

Just wondering if anyone has tips? I already plan to check craigslist, but are there other, local sites that would be good? Do people in the Bay Area generally work with a broker to find an apartment or do it themself? (In Boston brokers are more common...not so much in LA)

Also, any suggestions for neighborhoods to search? My job is going to be in the Embarcadero area.

Thanks!!
RZ

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
I would work with a realtor. Craigslist is great for this area, but you miss a lot of rentals, many are only listed through MLS. The market right now out here is absolutely insane for rentals. If something is put up one day, if it''s in good condition and at a reasonable price, it''ll be off the market and snagged within 48 hours.

Another way to go is apartments. There are tons of apartments, but even those go quickly - the benefit of the apartment out here is the flexibility of short term leases - in homes that''s becoming more rare.

Do you know what part of the city you are looking to live?

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Oops, now I see it - Embarcadero :)

Are you wanting to live in the city?

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Yes...I'd like to live within easy public transit to work (get to leave my car behind in LA. yay!!) ...I don't actually want a house, I'm thinking either a 1-bedroom apt on my own (may be too expensive...I'm pretty sure it is well above LA prices) or a bedroom in a 2-bedroom place with a roommate...

I'm budgeting ~$1,200/month for this (can't go much higher since I will be taking a pay cut for the non-profit work)...hopefully I can find something decent. I am paying much less in LA right now but the market is different...

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Rockzilla, I wish I knew of places in the city that go for that price. Unfortunately, most of the rentals that I am aware of - or apartments within the city start at approx $2k for a studio. You may have some luck looking in South City (South San Francisco) I believe the rents drop a bit around that area, but I''m not positive - I live on the peninsula and rents here have been going nuts (same that''s happening in the city) - the good thing about being in the city is rent control, the bad thing about your situation is it''s short term so you won''t really be able to take advantage of that.

I''ll keep my ears open at work, if I see anything come through (we have a company-wide bulletin board system where people post stuff like this) I''ll pass along details.

Good luck!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''d try looking in some of the less central areas that still have access to public transportation. One that comes to mind is the Sunset - the N-Judah and the L-Taraval trains run from the farther-out parts of the Sunset district (closer to the Ocean) straight downtown, but rents out there are MUCH cheaper than the Embarcadero would be. The Sunset is mostly residential but if you live near one of the train lines its easy to get in to downtown or wherever else, and its safe, unlike some of the other less-expensive areas of the city.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i live in the bay area -- i don't know if you will have a car but if not another area that tends to be more affordable and is close to public transportation and you could even walk to work is the area close to california and hyde street. it is sometimes referred to as lower nob hill. you have to be careful and not get a place south of bush street as it gets sketchy but if you look between the boundaries of clay street bush street and van ness taylor you will be ok.

Map

it's a good location b/c pretty central and there are two groceries within walking distance -- 24 hrs cala and whole foods.

i personally wouldn't want to live in the sunset -- too foggy for me.

SF is not like NY - there aren't generally any brokers fee or finders fees.

i would also suggest posting on craigslist that you are looking for a sublet. i actually sublet my apartment for a few months and found the renters by looking on craigslist for people who were looking for a place to sublet. i did this because my rent was super super cheap and i knew if i posted that i would get way too many responses. i contacted two people. the first one haggled too much and the second one (a couple) gave me a good feeling and i felt that i could trust them not to try to take over my lease and to leave my furniture with. i liked them so much that recently when i decided to move out due to my engagement and FI and I future plans to move somewhere further south of SF, i offered the place to them first and they will be taking over the lease. the rent has of course been raised by the landlady but it is a really really good deal. and the guy will be doing the videography for my wedding as a barter for me letting him and his gf take over the lease! cool!

i think people use metrorent and sfrental guide.

other nice areas that would be easy for you to commute to embarcadero -- north beach, south beach, mission bay, mission dolores (close to market st).

i recently moved from SF but lived there for over 10 yrs so if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

ETA : Just saw that you posted that you wont' have a car. Duh!! definitely better to not have one as most apt buildings either don't have parking or don't have enough.

ETA : if you do post in craigslist be sure to put in the subject line the timeframe (e.g. March - October 2008 ) that you are looking for and that you are flexible (if you are). it makes it much easier for the people you want to find you!

Also you might want to ask your new employer if anyone there has any leads or suggestions.

pelican

Rough_Rock
I second all of what Ringster just said, especially the neighborhood suggestions. Since you area going to be working in SF for just 6 months and without a car, I highly recommend that you find a place within the city and in an area that is no more than a 20-30 min commute by Muni - it will allow you to enjoy the city as much as possible during your brief stay. Although $1,200 does not go far in terms of rent, you should be able to find a nice shared apartment with a roommate. I think sharing an apartment and living within city limits would be much better than having your own place in Daly City or South SF, since living on the Peninsula can be pretty isolating without a car. Again, Craigslist is probably your best bet for finding a roommate, but give yourself time to meet with several options, preferably in person. Good luck and have a wonderful time in SF!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results