shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone wear a diamond band as an e-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misskiss

Rough_Rock
I''m just curious about how original my idea is to wear a diamond band as my engagement ring and get a plain platinum band for my wedding ring. I always thought I''d want a solitaire until I tried on a half-eternity diamond band and liked the look of 7 smaller diamonds across my finger better than one large one. The ring gives off a lot more sparkle than a single diamond ever could! And it seems more practical and comfortable than wearing a solitaire that sits high on the finger.

I found the perfect one at Tiffany''s - 7 round brilliants, .91 total carat weight, G VS, $5400. I know the consensus on this forum is that Tiffany''s is a rip-off, and I agree for solitaires, but this ring is less than we expected to pay for a decent solitaire. I agree that it''s too much to pay for a wedding band, but not an engagement ring.

Has anyone else opted for a diamond band instead of a solitaire as an engagement ring? If so, can you please show me pictures of yours? Thank you!

17045962_xl.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore that ring! But I'd wear a diamond band as a combination e and wedding band. I would not like a plain band with it. Just wear it alone. Well, maybe with a plain band on each side of it would be better.

But have you seen this? .93 F-G VVS-VS and around $1800.

http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=2552

facetsTiffband.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who did exactly that. She wears an eternity band--at least, I think the diamonds go all the way around--as an engagment ring. She got engaged maybe 15 years ago? Something like that. At the time I had never seen a band as an engagement ring, and I asked her how they had chosen it. She said, "We went to Tiffany''s, and this is what we could afford."

As I''m sure you know, you could get a band with at least as good quality for less money. But it wouldn''t be from Tiffany''s, if that''s important to you.

In the 19th century, before solitaires came into fashion, diamond bands were popular as engagement rings, as were rings with colored stones.

laila

Shiny_Rock
I wear a 5 stone RB band 1.25 ctw alone and I love it! I have thought about pairing it with a plain platinum band as well, but for now I just wear it alone. I think a solitaire e-ring would be gorgeous too, but I do love the sparklies all across the finger
emteeth.gif

jewerlylover

Rough_Rock
My mom wears a diamond band as her wedding ring. Her'' is channel set though. She has had 3 different wedding rings(all from my dad) but likes the diamond band the best for the very reasons you have stated.

togal

Shiny_Rock
When I first got married, I wore just a diamond band on my left hand, and I paired it with two plain gold bands, one on either side, to give it a more fullsome look. I got many compliments on it. I think two plain bands would be a nice complement to your diamond band and give it a balanced look, rather than just pairing it with one plain band.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to work at a fashion magazine that was full up of "trust fund babies" ... it was very hard for regular folk to "keep up with the joneses" and their GINORMOUS rocks.

My fave boss/mentor opted out of the e-ring madness with a GORGEOUS diamond eternity band. It was sparkly as all get out ... still made a huge impact ... and was the kind of C-L-A-S-S-I-C that even the most status-crazed, money-hungry debutante couldn''t poo-poo. I admired it ENORMOUSLY. She wore it alone. To die for!

Another "real person" there used a diamond studed cartier rolling ring as her e-ring I thnk (Cameron Diaz has something like that now).

--ALSO--

One of my fave real-life e-ring viewings was a gal on a plane wearing two channel set bands, stacked ... one white diamonds, one BLACK diamonds. It was SO STRIKING and DRAMATIC and MODERN and HIP and amazingly sparkly and AWESOME. I still can''t get over it months later. If I hadn''t already started down the "antique Asscher ering" route (i.e. ALREADY HAVE IT
3.gif
) -- I would have been SEVERELY TEMPTED to copy her.
11.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of points...

One, I LOVE the look of two bands next to each other....a diamond and a plain platinum are fabulous.

Two, if you are going to forego the expense of a solitaire, I would totally shoot the moon and get my bands from a place like tiffany''s. It will make them extra special to you, I''ll bet. There is a time for paying less for something similar, and there is a time for getting something that makes your heart go pitter pat. When you are going to have two bands, classy quality and a name brand are OK in my book, and I''m not usually all about the name brands.

Three, before you decide I would go get a really nice CZ solitaire and wear it around the house when no one is looking
2.gif
. I too did not like solitaires, and now I have one and love it. I wore a bezel set three stone ring for the first part of our marriage, with no band, and got the set in my avatar this year for our tenth. I thought I would hate any every and all solitaires, but it just took finding the right one that was low enough, smooth enough, unprongy enough. So I made sure that I also had a plain band so that I could always ditch the solitaire when I wasn''t in the mood. So far, three months in, the only time I''ve worn just the band is when the sparkly is being cleaned! So it is possible that a solitaire, if found to your liking, may convert you.

Four, I''m a big fan of options, too, so I''m having a 2mm flat band w. tiny eternity channel set diamonds made. I like it with the solitaire, I like it with the 2.5mm plain band (which ended up being too plain worn alone, which I didn''t think possible), I like all three together. I am a gal of many moods, and love the mix and match aspect.

I LOVE your idea. I love to go drool over the celebration ring stacks on the Tiffany website.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I have a friend who wears her plain wedding band next to her diamond anniversary ring, such as you described. It looks nice. Although I''m with diamondseeker2006: I would rather just wear the diamond band alone. I think that would look beautiful and classic. There are times I wish I''d done this myself, as I have such a hard time deciding on my e-diamond setting.
20.gif

It seems like that actress - now her name won''t come to me, Jennifer Garner? wore a diamond band like that when engaged, although maybe now she has a more e-ring style e-ring.

Although I think wallermama makes a good point too: be certain you don''t want the typical e-ring before you decide for sure.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I started off doing this, actually. My truly original ering was my Tiffany Lucida half eternity channel set band. I loved it but later decided that I actually did want a solitaire ering, and so it became my wedding ring. Therefore it is probably the most sentimental ring of all the redesigned, upgraded rings, etc. I''d never get rid of that one!!

misskiss

Rough_Rock
You are all so helpful, THANK YOU!

Yes, I am certain I prefer a diamond band to a solitaire, and I don''t care where it comes from. I just found exactly what I wanted at Tiffany''s and stopped looking b/c it was in our price range. But I''ll definitely check out the Facets link - thank you for sending that to me.

I love the look of full eternity bands but I have no knuckles so they''re really uncomfortable. With the half-eternity, I can get larger stones for less and not draw blood when someone shakes my hand!

I''m not sure that the .91 TCW is substantial enough to stand on its own, which is why I thought about pairing it with a band. I''m sure a larger five-stone could stand on its own but I like how the 7 diamonds fit the curve of my finger - seems more feminine. I thought a single plain band would add more thickness without taking attention away from the diamond band, but I also like other people''s suggestions of flanking the diamond band with two thinner bands. I tried that in the store and it made it look like one ring - definitely a different look.

misskiss

Rough_Rock
I also found this one online at Jewelry Central: www.jewelrycentral.com/product.asp?pID=3913&cID=125

From the picture, it looks the exact same as the Tiffany band (the stones are even a little larger at .15 instead of .13) but when I called to ask about the cut and polish, she said "good/good," which leads me to believe the Tiffany stones would be better.

I''m curious to see it in person, but I''m hesitant to order b/c there''s a $227 restocking fee. Has anyone ever ordered from Jewelry Central?

2078B.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
If you are still interested I can post some pics this weekend.

I like to mix things up and I wear my 3mm plain gold wedding band with a memoire eternity band sometimes. My eternity band is diamonds and rubies. I love the look and it is very comfortable. I googled memoire and found this:
I think the quality on mine is superb.

memband.png

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Or there is something like this at dimend scaasi for $5500 for a platinum 2ctw...

1B3.jpg

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
or this, also 2ctw, also $5500... (both of these rings are available at many diff carat weights, it says...

1B4.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
5 40 pointers in a row is massive bling! the one waller mama posted! should be about 5k

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I really like this idea of a diamond band worn as a engagement ring. I tried on a 2 ct. 5 stone band at my local jewelers and it was to die for!!! Something like that has plenty of bling and would look great either worn by itself or with a plain narrow band.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results