shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone used Makaton?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My son James has very serious speech problems. We have been advised to learn Makaton sign language. I feel a bit daunted by this. I will do whatever I can to help him but sign language looks hard!

Does anyone use this with their children or at work? Any advise would be fab!

Thank you.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I wasn''t sure what Makaton was so I looked it up and this is what it says:

"Makaton is a Language Programme that provides signs, symbols and speech as a means of communication and to encourage the development of language and literacy skills. It is not a Sign Language."

So it looks like it isn''t sign language, just used in addition to it in some cases. I''ve never used it but I do know a bit of sign language. If you decide to sign along with using the Makaton then it really isn''t very difficult to learn. Alot of what i know was taught to me around age 7. Learning the Makaton symbols shouldn''t be hard either... they look pretty self-explanatory to me.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen James'' speech therapist using it and it seems that its more a single word sort of sign language. Not the in depth full word stuff... if you see what I mean! I just worry because i don''t have a great memory and my medication makes it even worse!
1.gif
I don''t want to confuse James by getting the signs wrong. I guess its just going to take time and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results