shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone use Pet-icure, the nail filing thing for dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen this commercial a few times now, and I''m really tempted to buy it, but I''m always wary of products on infomercials.

In case you haven''t seen it, it''s for this thing that you roll over the nail and it supposedly files it down painlessly to avoid clipping, and it sounds really helpful to me. My dog is terrified of being around strange people and starts shaking as soon as we pull into the Petsmart where I get her nails clipped. I did take her to the vet''s once to get them clipped, but she hated it there too, and I don''t want her to get scared every time we have to go to the vet. I''ve also tried to clip them myself once, but this really terrifies me, and when she yelps I really lose it.

Any experiences would be appreciated!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sabine,
I've seen this, looks simple enough. But am hesitent, to buy it. I leave this job to our groomer. God forbid I hurt either of my doggies. I am a big chicken!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Is that the same thing, though? Because whenever I see it on tv, I envision myself trimming down past the quick because you have absolutely no idea how close you are to it like you can SEE with regular clippers.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We actually got one and we''re not impressed... It seems like you have to grind on our monsters'' nails FOREVER to make any progress. Oh, and the smell of burning dog nails is *just lovely*.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I used to use a dremel tool. Same thing without the little guard around it. I loved it because I picked up the tool at Target on clearance and got the sand paper refills for cheap there. As lon gas I did it once a week I could keep the nails to a good length without it taking forever. Another positive is that the vibration encourages the quick (the "live" part inside the nail) to contract so over the course of a few months you can encourage their nails to get shorter than previously.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We got the Peticure for Portia and we love it!!!

Honestly though I think it might be best for smaller dogs, because I could see big dogs nails taking forever to file down with the tool, which is basically like a dremel. Portia is really skittish about us doing anything to her nails due to some *cough* unfortunate incidents when we all were quite green about doggie nail clipping so we leave it up to the groomers BUT the Peticure was for ''emergency'' trimmings like when we missed an appt or something.

We''ve only used it twice, but she is totally tolerant of it, so it doesn''t seem to bother her, and it works really well...we do two paws at a time so that she doesn''t get too antsy or freaky...and give her treats after and she is fine with it. Again though I think smaller dogs would do better with it than big ones...we also got the Petite for her even though it says only up to dogs 15 lbs, she is 18 and it''s fine.

Since we got Peticure, there are other same types of things out here like PediPaws (I get all their spam) which is a different company, and there''s another one too. But we got the original Peticure.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I use a dremel that I purchased from a hardware store with little sandpaper discs to file my dog''s nails (100 lb lab x, nails too big for clippers).

My FI gives treats and pets and I file. It took a while for him to get used to it (mostly the sound) so we started off with lots of tiny treats and just letting it run, every time he looked at it we would give him a treat. Throughout the next week (or two?) we progressed to touching his paws while we held the dremel and then on to lightly touching the nail and so on (treats and praise for everything).

The most important thing is to only touch the nail for one or two seconds at a time, and take a little off at a time otherwise they get too hot and it hurts the dog. I do two seconds, next nail, two seconds....and so on for both front paws (10 nails in a row) and then repeat a few times and then on to the back paws.

The downside is that it takes a commitment to do it every week (or twice a week), but it should only take about 10 minutes. Otherwise the nail will grow faster than you can file it down. I really don''t have a choice for alternative methods as is nails are too thick.

Oh and to make his nails real purdy, I rub a teeny bit of grape seed oil into his nails and paws after
9.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought one on Friday and returned it on Saturday. The silly thing stopped rotating whenever my dog''s nail made contact with the spinning emery.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with a dremel personally!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I used to do the dog show circuit with my Silkies. Most of the groomers use a dremel. That''s what I use and works like a dream, plus you can use it for lots of other projects around the house. Multi-use tool for multi-tasking
9.gif

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I have to also agree about the fowl smell of the nails when they are filed. But, ya know what? If it means my dog will sit through and allow us to groom all of his nails in one sitting, then I''d put up with it. It is a pretty good product!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for all the reviews! I will have to look more into a dremel!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results