shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone seen the Nursery University Trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 4:52:48 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I would imagine that there are probably about 20% of the students at Harvard or Yale that have never even seen the inside of a preschool, much less a ''competitive'' preschool.

Anyone that thinks it''s necessary to attend one should get over themselves IMO
20.gif

As to your highschool not accepting you Fairy, it sounds as though your grades were not high enough, and later they were, and then you WERE accepted. It was about grades, not money or connections.

No, it is not entirely necessary to attend preschools. However some elementary schools do either require it or look favorably upon it.

And I''m sure grades were not a factor in my rejection on my first try for high school in the sixth grade. I''m not sure if things are different where you are but a 4.0 is as high as our system went. The school will only take a certain percentage from each elementary school, and those that were legacies, or those with connections and money got all the slots for my year. I got in the next go round in eighth grade because I kept my 4.0 and had at that time taken the SAT and scored well, gotten even more awards, NJHS etc. ( I wish I were still that good a student
38.gif
)

EBree - I''m glad you got a laugh out of that, and I probably should have worded it differently. But it seemed to me that trillionaire was implying that all of the rich got where they were because of money. It''s a sore spot for me, because I''ve had to deal with people hearing where I went to school and assuming that i''m wealthy and bought my diplomas. Now it can be true in a few "library building donation" people. But the fact remains, money can get you there... but it sure as hell cannot keep you in the institution.

Sorry trillionaire! I didn''t mean to offend.
35.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Red, sorry, our last President disproved that last bit.

For many of the finest schools in the US, getting in is the hard part and we all know what helps the admissions process. Either the cash to pay 50k tuition (many elite schools are ending need blind policies) or extreme skills + extreme need in one candidate (perhaps our current prez?). Bushy of course is evidence that you can cheerlead through Yale and graduate. Personally, I stopped going to a class at Harvard, but didn''t technically drop it and still got an A based upon I suppose my stellar class participation in those 2 initial seminars? I know nothing about "elite preschools" but I had to address the "money can get you there... but it sure as hell cannot keep you in the institution." Yes, money can do that too.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
No worries Red, I wasn''t offended, and I also realized that we were not in disagreement. What I have a problem with is that these institutions set up a system of advantage at SUCH a young age... as you said yourself, it took you 10 yrs to overcome the advantage of kids getting into pre-school when they were THREE! That''s not defensible. Sure they are smart, too, but in a system that TELLS children and parents that it''s a meritocracy, by in large, that is a falsehood. And it''s terrible.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 10:54:03 AM
Author: swimmer
Red, sorry, our last President disproved that last bit.

For many of the finest schools in the US, getting in is the hard part and we all know what helps the admissions process. Either the cash to pay 50k tuition (many elite schools are ending need blind policies) or extreme skills + extreme need in one candidate (perhaps our current prez?). Bushy of course is evidence that you can cheerlead through Yale and graduate. Personally, I stopped going to a class at Harvard, but didn''t technically drop it and still got an A based upon I suppose my stellar class participation in those 2 initial seminars? I know nothing about ''elite preschools'' but I had to address the ''money can get you there... but it sure as hell cannot keep you in the institution.'' Yes, money can do that too.
You''re right... there are cases, but I think Mr. Bush is one of the extreme cases. But there are still good elite schools with standards. The boy who''s parents built our library was kicked out because he couldn''t keep up his grades for example. Money could not buy him a diploma. These are the experiences that I am basing my opinion on, so I guess we''ll have to agree to disagree as we''re coming from two very different past experiences.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results