shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone regret/dislike their platinum?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love mine... including my plain band I wear to the gym... I love the patina I think it adds character..

Funny story.. my husband's ring was really about 1/2 a size too large.. so we sent it off this year to have it sized down. While they had it they polished it.. he was all JACKED UP :o ...because it was shiney when it came back.. clearly he likes the patina too! It's slowly returning but he tried to tell me when it was new it didn't look shiney.. I was like.. yes it did you just don't remember.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My 25th anniversary diamond ring is platinum with a high polish finish. Love it. It's been a couple of years since the last polishing and the patina is building up a bit now, but I know I can take it in and spiff it up when I'm ready. I love the heft and the shine of my platinum ring.

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
My e ring and wedding band are both platinum (not sure of the alloy mix) and I love that silvery colour and the weight of it compared to my other rings. Most importantly for me, I don't lose any metal over the years unlike white gold. I've had other white gold jewellery which I re-rodium plate every year to maintain the shine. It's a bit of a PITA.

For earrings though, I prefer 14 or 18KWG coz my earlobes are quite sensitive and plat is too heavy for them.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie & DS- Lesley emailed back the platinum for my setting will be 95/5 plat/ruthenium. :))

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Like Yssie touched on, the method of manufacture will also play a huge role in the look of the alloy as well as its scratch resistance.

Platinum is extremely diffacult to cast well, porosity if visible (even micro porosity) will greatly affect the look by giving the surface a dull/soft/dark look. That's why the proven casters on here with good quality control systems in place are your best bet for cast pieces.

A forged piece will always show less scratching due to its greater density and to my eyes a forged piece will also have a harder looking shinier finish.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1339645013|3215878 said:
Maisie & DS- Lesley emailed back the platinum for my setting will be 95/5 plat/ruthenium. :))

Excellent! I thought that from the past but it is always necessary to be sure.

Good info from Mike as well!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only plat pieces I have are my wedding set, a carved van craeynest and a leon mege pave band. I actually really love the patina on my VC ring since it makes the small engraved details really pop and stand out, and it has a beautiful antique art feel. In terms of the Leon, I just feel like the platinum is "safer", which isn't based on anything at all scientific, other than my own paranoia that gold prongs might wear thin faster and a teeny tiny diamond would get lost. I guess for very detailed work platinum appeals more to me.

For RHR, necklaces, and other jewelry though I opt for gold. It's lighter and cheaper and comes in more colors.

tanicha

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Does anyone know what alloy combination Cartier uses for their platinum? I have a platinum engagement ring from them. I love platinum not only because of the neutral colour but also the weight -- it feels substantial.

Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results