shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone purchased from "Hot Diamonds" ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
(For some reason I could not post this in RT, so I gave it a shot here instead.
5.gif
)

http://www.hotdiamonds.co.uk/

I know, not the best name, lol.

But JA are selling some of their range, and I quite like a couple of the pieces.
My question is, does anyone know the quality of the diamonds use? The pieces I'm looking at only have very tiny ones, but I'm not sure how I'd feel if they are cloudy/dull etc..
Am I just looking in the wrong place? For the life of me I cannot even find the colour/clarity they are supposed to be?
33.gif

I emailed JA a couple of days ago but haven't heard back yet..
Was hoping someone on PS have bought from them..
Thanks for any help in advance,

This is the necklace I like, what do you think?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
pic

Necklaces-Sterling-Silver-Beachcomber.jpg

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I will stand to be corrected:

I understand Hot Diamonds to be perfectly legitimate, "high street quality" jewellery with nothing to write home about quality diamonds. I am sure it was/is featured in a store based home shopping catalogue - Argos. I am sure the emphasis is on the Hot - meaning fashionable rather than diamonds.

ETA- To answer your question - I was a part buyer. The office I worked in bought a bracelet for a girl's birthday so we all clubbed in - so I was a buyer in part. The bracelet looked fine but the diamonds were certainly not aca!

I would say go ahead if the price is cheap - if not wait for better quality. I would not buy for diamond quality on ready made pieces here. 0.02

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey steel,
cheers for your answer. I understand they are fashion pieces and am certainly not expecting top grade diamonds or anything - was just hoping they are not completely frozen spit, ya know?

As someone who had the experience of (part) paying for one and seeing it in person, did they sparkle at all?
Like I said, I know its just cheap-ish jewellery, and I''m looking as I want a silver necklace not a diamond necklace - but I''m afraid I won''t wear it if the diamonds are really bad..

thx!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Now it was about 4 years ago that I saw the bracelet, but yeah the diamonds were poor. I think it was frozen spit territory. But that could have been just that piece or perhaps quality improved since then. The diamonds are generally teeny tiny so it is up to you how close you want to look, but I would not expect sparkles.

I looked at argos and it is Hot Gems that they carry. They are all over the UK so perhaps a helpful PS''er would oblige you by checking the necklace out in store.

I am on a 3 week deadline to finish our house before we move in so I am sorry I cannot take time out to search for you, but next month I would happily look to see if any city jewellers carry the range if you want to wait that long?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
The designs of their jewelry is fun, but the diamonds are not good quality at all.

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
I work part time at a jewelry store during the summers, and they carry "Hot Diamonds", I'm not sure about the qulity of the diamonds though they're pretty white (from what I've seen), but I'm not sure about the cut. I'll actually be working tomorrow, so I'll see if I can get some info for you.

All the regulars are on vacation though, but I'll see what I can do.
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oh Thankyou so much Steel, orbaya and Lill the thrill!
Steel, you are such a sweetheart to offer to look for me, thankyou.

Lill, if you are happy to do that for me I would be extremely greatful!
I wouldn't want to put anyone out, but seeing as you're already there, if its not too much trouble..
Thankyou!
I look forward to what you find out..

This is why I love PS, you guys ar the best
9.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Finally a post about Hot Diamonds!I was a little embarrassed about asking the forum what they thought about the line....I had read about the company in a trade magizine five years ago and wondered myself about the England based company...then i was shopping at a TJ Maxx depertment store and their jewelry department had several pieces...I got the loupe out(Ive carried one since 1984) and asked the sales girl to start taking the pieces out for a look see...The sterling was heavy and rhodium plated...and tagged as being made in thailand...the diamonds were one pointers and white to the eye ,but very dissapointing for clarity...I2 AND CLOUDY...the original retails were high...but the designs were in my opinion...sleek,modern and interesting...then i spied it...a gents oval shaped, hinged bangle bracelet...heavy with sand blasted finish...with a princess cut diamond...I was ready to be disappointed and when I louped it...it was CLEAN and White!...The diamond was about 3 points and around a S12 clarity and I color and a nice square shape...The retail was $210 but the TJ MAXX RETAIL was $29.99 +tax...I bought the bracelet and have worn it a dozen times since Febuary...I have done research on the company and found that they do have a line of speciality sterling jewelry that one of their web site says are SI-white for quality and higher quality then their main jewelry line.The main site dosnt list quailty of diamonds but says that the diamonds will be one pointers unless stated as a 2 pointer.the company retails their jewelry out of many mall styled jewelry store accross the America,england ,and europe.It is also available on overstock.com....one of my ex-associate managers works for a mall jeweler who carries the line in Utah and they are the exact same quality as the 12-white diamonds i saw earlier...i think that the bracelet i have is either from their higher end line or from an earlier period when the quality was better...my bracelet is not on their web site but close in style to the current hinged bangle bracelets...I havent seen any princess cuts in their current jewelry.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
went to the current site and found that 1/2 pointers are also being used in the jewelry besides 1 and 2 pointers...the close ups show that some of the colors in the rings are appearing very yellow and heavily flawed(I2-I3)...

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou jewelerman for your input, and good for you for spying a bargain!
I agree that the designs are modern and tasteful, thats what I like about it.
To be honest, I''d probably rather the above necklace without any diamonds as thats what I''m after - just a nice quality SS necklace, without having to pay T&co prices.
2.gif

So, to be clear in your opinion the current line (such as photo above), both the SS and diamonds are poor quality?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
In my opinion, the diamonds are very low undesirable quality,but the sterling work ive seen is heavy and rhodium plated (acceptable) but i never would pay the retails asked for by this company...i would have never paid $210 for the gents bracelet but well worth the $30 bucks i paid...plus I collect sterling bracelets and am a sucker for something un-usual. I would go to T J MAXX or to OVERSTOCK.COM and look for a pendant there...I like the style of the pendant you picked out but would not overpay for it.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Also keep in mind that the yellow colored ring on the necklace is just vermail(gold plate on sterling)and will rub off with wear and friction...the diamonds in the photo come accross very yellow in the web site picture.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou for your info.
I live in Australia, so don''t have the shops you have mentioned, but I will check on overstock.com.
To be honest jewellery is just silly expensive here so the H.D prices aret not that bad compared to retail.
But if the diamonds are rubbish I may not wear it
7.gif

ta!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE TJMaxx!

It made me chuckle that the brand is sold there...i can find so many good buys there and they can have a great purse selection at discount prices!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... I just looked at their site. I think it''s a really smart idea to make budget jewelry more sophisticated-looking and tuck in a few tiny diamonds here and there. I think some of their pieces are attractive. I wouldn''t pay full retail for it (doing rough BPS/USD conversions in my head)... but if I found a bargain or two at TJ Maxx I might snatch them up!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 5:04:10 PM
Author: Lill_The_Thrill

I work part time at a jewelry store during the summers, and they carry ''Hot Diamonds'', I''m not sure about the qulity of the diamonds though they''re pretty white (from what I''ve seen), but I''m not sure about the cut. I''ll actually be working tomorrow, so I''ll see if I can get some info for you.

All the regulars are on vacation though, but I''ll see what I can do.
2.gif
Lill, did you manage to check anything out in person?..?

Thankyou others who have given your opinions
1.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
jelly,
DONT TELL ANYONE!...but ive found some great buys at TJ MAXX...you have to be selective because not all their selection is quality or a good deal...but worth making the roungs to see whats on clearance...I buy dress shirts and ties there also.
Date: 8/10/2008 5:23:39 AM
Author: Jelly
I LOVE TJMaxx!

It made me chuckle that the brand is sold there...i can find so many good buys there and they can have a great purse selection at discount prices!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Haha, sooo off topic, but I've taught DH my "game" - which is to go the purse section at T.J Maxx and see how many designers you can find in 20 mins. He's gotten VERY good at it, I'm so impressed! The holidays might be excellent this year, haha ;-) My mom extended it to 30 mins and found an Eric Javits ($650) bag for $80. Love it.

In regard to Hot Diamonds - I've seen these in person and didn't think they were all that bad. The diamonds are teeensy, so it's just a little bit of sparkle (didn't think frozen spit, but definitely not H&A melee). Another place to look for 'em is Overstock and Amazon.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i ran into several hot diamonds rings at my local tj maxx. i did purchase one from the clearance section. the ring was heavy, marked 925, 8mm wide and square in shape. it was a band style ring with one very small diamond. i did check it with a loupe and it was white and no visible inclusions. as small as it was it would have taken super powers to detect any inclusion. i could not find it on the website and am assuming it is old stock. i paid 20 bucks and will use it or give it away.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I looked at the same ring!Also the 8mm with three diamonds...but the diamonds I louped in thses rings were without doubt I2-I...Im actually wearing the bracelet today that I mentioned earlier...If any one sees a Hot Diamond gents ring with a princess cut center please let me know.
Date: 8/11/2008 12:02:16 PM
Author: crown1
i ran into several hot diamonds rings at my local tj maxx. i did purchase one from the clearance section. the ring was heavy, marked 925, 8mm wide and square in shape. it was a band style ring with one very small diamond. i did check it with a loupe and it was white and no visible inclusions. as small as it was it would have taken super powers to detect any inclusion. i could not find it on the website and am assuming it is old stock. i paid 20 bucks and will use it or give it away.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results