shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone play the violin?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always wanted to learn how and I was wondering how long it took you?
5.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
After 4 years of lessons (I was already piano-trained), I still played horribly. The dog would howl. I just have atrocious pitch.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Woo! I am nervous now..it''s something I''ve always wanted to do. Hmm..

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a musical background?

elsie

Shiny_Rock
I did! I started later than most kids (7th grade) and surprisingly progressed fairly quickly (surprising since I was known to never be able to finish anything I''d started) and played with a few different orchestras in middle school/high school. I kind of fell away from it near the end of high school and college (bad experience with an orchestra director), but ~15 years later, I have been seriously thinking about taking it up again. I used to play just for fun and stress-relief every once in a while, but my violin badly needs some TLC right now.

I think everyone is different and learns at a different pace. If you have a musical background, you could learn very quickly. I did have some piano, but really didn''t get an appreciation and understanding of music theory until I started learning the violin.

You should try it and see how you like it! Playing classical violin is awesome, but in my opinion, the best experience is playing in an orchestra or chamber music group -- the feeling is indescribable.

Your post is making me want to start calling around about lessons! :D

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm..my only background is a few songs on the piano.
12.gif
That''s about it! So unfortunately, not really. Hmm..maybe I could find lessons!
5.gif

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Hey, knowing a few songs on the piano shows an understanding of music!
1.gif
I definitely wouldn''t be scared away from learning the violin. If you practice often, you could probably be pretty proficient and able to learn harder things on your own within 1-2 years.

Although I''m not sure how easy it is to learn the violin without taking lessons... definitely at least to learn how to properly hold it and other basics. I''d suggest finding a "real" violin shop (not one of those "all kinds of instruments" places that sell every single thing under the sun) -- typically a place that only sells / repairs violins, violas, cellos, basses, sells music and supplies for them, etc. Ask them for a list of recommended teachers. You can set up an "intro" meeting with the teacher and they will assess how much you need to learn, natural ability, etc., and can probably tell you how long it will take to get to the level you want to reach.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started "late" at the age of 9 or thereabouts but took proper lessons right from the start. It was a bit easier since I could already read music (2nd instrument) and have perfect pitch but I still found it a rather challenging instrument. Unlike piano, it can take a while to make the violin sing without the horrible screeching and even more work to make it sing. Once you get the hang of it though, it is a wonderful instrument to play. The quality of the voilin, bow, and strings play a strong role in how easily or difficult it'll be to coax good sound out of it. I've played it for over 20 years.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I started violin when I was a about 4-5 along with ballet, piano lessons. I played the violin until I was about 19 and miss playing so much that I have been thinking about taking it back up. As chrono said it can take some time to learn to make the violin sound good, but once mastered, it is a soul enlightening experience. I still get goose bumps when I listen to wonderful violin works.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started playing the violin when I was in fifth grade at the age of 10. I played all through junior high and up until sophomore year of high school at which time they needed a cello player and I agreed to it. I taught myself to play the cello, but I was not very good at it, so after a year I went back to playing the violin. I am now 36 years old, and although I have not played in years, I can still read the music and know that I could still play it. I still have my same violin from 5th grade that my mother purchased for me
5.gif
!

I cannot really remember how long it took me to learn, but I really did enjoy playing it!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
depending on how much you work/skill of teacher/talent, it takes probalby 3 years to play nicely. You can get quite good in 4-5 years. It''s very enjoyable!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter was always a musical dilettante. She played the piano first, for a few years, then started the cello in orchestra in the third grade. In fourth grade she added clarinet in band, but switched to saxophone in band in the fifth grade. (while continuing cello). Although she dropped out of band, she continued in the school orchestra through seventh grade. Then she decided she wanted to play violin! She dropped the cello (which was a crime) and learned the basics of the violin within a year. Although she loved being able to wear clothing she couldn''t when playing cello; and she loved not having to lug a huge cello around with her; her arm became tired holding up the viloin! It seems there were trade-offs for different instruments. In the end she did not stick with the violin, either.

I guess my point is that if one has good musical training (especially if s/he has played other string instruments) the transition to violin is not impossible. It is still challenging, however. I believe that the violin uses the treble and the bass clefs, which would make it easier for piano players than some string instruments, however. I know that the cello uses some other cleff-the tenor?-which might make it harder for piano player to learn to play than the violin. (Musicians, please correct me if I am wrong!)

Deborah
34.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb,
Just treble, which makes sight-reading easy for pianists.

Sarah,
Give it a try. Like Chrono said, playing in a group is very rewarding (my university orchestra was a mediocre one, which was why they let me in).

icekid

Ideal_Rock
No.. played the flute through high school. I''ve always had a fascination/love for string instruments though, so I figure I''ll make my kids play someday
3.gif

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
I started playing in 4th grade and that time had never even seen sheet music. A lot of that first year was learning to read music and learning the fingerings and mechanics of it. Once you get the basics down, it usually takes private lessons to really get the fine details down to be able to handle all of the different techniques. I''ve now been playing for almost 20 years, and I love it! I don''t play nearly as much as I used to, but really, it only took me probably 3 years to get pretty good and then my private lessons all through high school made me really good. I''ve even played at a wedding at or two, and its a blast!

As far as getting a great sound out of it, as Chrono said, the quality of the instrument has a HUGE impact. If you can afford it, try not to get a cookie cutter violin and find one with some character to it. It doesn''t have to be old, just not something that came off an assemble line. If you want to just try it out, you can always rent one and take some lessons and see how it goes. It really is a lot of fun and now I kind of want to take mine out and play a bit! Let us know what you decide!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I played from age 9 to 18. I had been playing some sort of instrument since I was 6, so I did not find it that hard. Expecially with the tape they put on the board so you know where to put your fingers :). I will have to say, the violin is the most challenging instrument I played. Once I learned to play that, I could transition to other instruments without any problems. I found the guitar a piece of cake, the frets were so much bigger and marked for you. It is challenging, but not impossible.

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
hi! i played from age 5-19. now, at 33, haven''t played seriously in yrs. every now and then i miss it, pick it up, and realize how much work/time it would take to get back to being decent. it''s a challenging instrument, but like anything else, where there''s a will, there''s a way! and nothing compares, imo, to the sound from a quality instrument. good luck!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say thanks everyone!
5.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I played the vile-din for about 8 years. I was terrified of tuning the thing and was terrible at it. The cats would leave the house when I was practising.
15.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 9:16:08 AM
Author: Pandora II
I played the vile-din for about 8 years. I was terrified of tuning the thing and was terrible at it. The cats would leave the house when I was practising.
15.gif
I hated tuning my violin too. Did a string ever snap and hit you? I still remember the ''thwack.''

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
9/8/2008 2:50:40 PM

Author:
Harriet

I hated tuning my violin too. Did a string ever snap and hit you? I still remember the ''thwack.''

The only instrument I ever played (and badly) was the piano. Thank heavens I did not have to tune it! As the mother of a budding little musician, however, I was treated to the "thwack" of many a cello string. My daughter didn''t play the violin for long enough for it to have made quite as lasting an impression on me! I bet a string or two snapped, though. ;-)

Deborah
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results