shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone live in/familiar with Memphis?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diane, thanks. I have been looking at the Hampton. I don''t mind even being a few blocks from Beale, just want to be in the vicinity.

As for the zoo, is it very big/lots of animals? The reason I ask is, I am close to St. Louis, which has one of the best zoos in the US. So I think I may have been spoiled, and won''t find it worth the time. Don''t mean to sound snobby, but you know what I mean.
5.gif

And thanks about Dyer''s, I wondered if it was as good as the hype....

El, I love the Neely''s also, I definitely think we should try to get there. Thanks!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI ...as for the zoo...have been to St. Louis tooo...may go there next week...hmm...will be in STL then

St louis is a great zoo...whether they are better or worse...hard to tell...they are different...

Memphis has panda''s, and a neat creatures of the night exhibit...that is in a cave-like area...they have their giraffes and such out in the open...

their penguins are not as good and STL has better reptiles

Memphis is working on new exhibits...they have good polar bears...and thay have a Meerkat exhibit

And Memphis is not free...but may still be worth the visit...for you

I liked and we went a 2nd time

Have a great trip

The Hampton is nice in that it is right there...and the parking for the hotel...is right in front..and you pay per day...not for each in/out)...we usually don''t have to leave until it is time to go...also some rooms face Beale street (the back of it)...and depending you may still hear teh music...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 12:28:51 PM
Author:Ellen
Hubby decided a couple days ago he and I need to get away for a few days (he has a week vaca in Sept.). We don''t want too far a drive, and he suggested Memphis. One reason is because when we''ve watched various TV shows where they go around the states highlighting eateries, there were some BBQ places that peaked his interest. lol

From what little research I''ve done, I would like to stay within walking distance of Beal St. Anyone know of a decent hotel/motel within a few blocks that isn''t horribly expensive? The least I''ve seen is about 110-130, we''d like to keep it closer to 100. Actually, we''d like it cheaper than that, but we''re not dumb.
9.gif
It doesn''t have to be fancy, we won''t be in it much, just the basics, and clean.

Also, any must sees? I''ve certainly read about several attractions, but I would love first hand accounts! We''re not interested in Graceland....

TIA!

Hey Ellen!

Do you have room in your car for one more? My husband has been watching these shows as well, and all he''s talked about lately is BBQ. He loves the stuff. Can he please tag along? We''ll pay for his meals...
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like it might be worth it, will try, not sure yet how long we''ll be there. Thanks again!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 8:22:43 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett

Hey Ellen!

Do you have room in your car for one more? My husband has been watching these shows as well, and all he''s talked about lately is BBQ. He loves the stuff. Can he please tag along? We''ll pay for his meals...
9.gif
LOL Sure!! Well, maybe I better ask hubby first if he minds 2 strangers from the internet tagging along.
9.gif
2.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 8:24:41 PM
Author: Ellen

Hey Ellen!

9.gif
LOL Sure!! Well, maybe I better ask hubby first if he minds 2 strangers from the internet tagging along.
9.gif
2.gif
Oh sure, sure, I understand.
9.gif

I haven''t been to Memphis but it does sound like a fun place. Have a great trip!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 8:34:20 PM

Date: 8/7/2008 8:24:41 PM

Hey Ellen!

9.gif
9.gif
2.gif
Oh sure, sure, I understand.
9.gif

I haven''t been to Memphis but it does sound like a fun place. Have a great trip!
9.gif

I''ll come back with a full report on our BBQ experiences. Thanks Mrs. Zoe!
2.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to your report!

The Mrs.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok kids, it''s less than 24 hours to lift off, and I am psyched!
yippee10.gif

I''ve found some great restuarants to try, along with some recommendations you gave me here. Now I wish we had longer, I can''t fit them all in, or I won''t fit in my clothes upon returning!

Leaving early in the AM, so after today, I''ll talk with all of you Sunday or Monday. Don''t have too much fun without me.
1237399ifetfs3eq4.gif

35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 1:15:05 PM
Ok kids, it''s less than 24 hours to lift off, and I am psyched!
yippee10.gif

I''ve found some great restuarants to try, along with some recommendations you gave me here. Now I wish we had longer, I can''t fit them all in, or I won''t fit in my clothes upon returning!

Leaving early in the AM, so after today, I''ll talk with all of you Sunday or Monday. Don''t have too much fun without me.
1237399ifetfs3eq4.gif

35.gif
Yay, take lots of pics! Have a great time!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Skippers! I have got 2 sets of batteries, so hopefully I get some pics. You know how I am though....
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 1:17:38 PM
Thanks Skippers! I have got 2 sets of batteries, so hopefully I get some pics. You know how I am though....
9.gif
LOL

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really AM going to try hard this time!
4.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are back early. Memphis was interesting, but they have a real panhandler problem. They are everywhere, and it got really annoying, especially when we would cross the street to avoid them, and they crossed with us. Also, so many desolate areas within the dowtown area, places that made you question whether you should be walking in them, even though they weren''t really out of the way/off the beaten path.

It just wasn''t enjoyable, so hubby said let''s go early. No biggie. We did go to Graceland since everyone said we should. That was interesting, especially becauase the house isn''t near as big as you think it is. I got pics Skippy.
9.gif
Luckily we had reserved that for Saturday and were inside while it was raining, which it did the majority of the day. Figures....

And we saw the ducks at the Peabody but I couldn''t get a pic, too many people. For anyone who doesn''t know how the ducks came to be, the hotel owner and some friends came back from duck hunting one day a bit tipsy. They had live decoys back then (which I never knew existed even with my dad being a hunter), and decided it would be funny to put them in the lobby fountain. It was such a hit that the ducks became a staple.

The hotel is truly magnificent, I''d love to stay in it sometime. I got my youngest a pair of really nice boxers there, they say Peabody Hotel on the front, and Butt Quack on the back.
9.gif

Our hotel recommended the best place for breakfast, the Blue Plate Cafe. Outstanding food, huge portions, and very reasonable prices. The second day I had the Banana pancakes with crunchy peanut butter syrup. Sounds weird but it was delish.
18.gif

The two BBQ places we ate were BB King''s and Rendezvous. Hubby had ribs at both, and BB King''s were definitely better. But not better than a place we found not too long ago about a half hour from here, just comperably good. I had my first fried green tomatoe''s, and I thought they were really good. But since I''ve never had them, I didn''t know what they should truly taste like. I talked to a gal last night who has been to Memphis several times, and has eaten them several places including Alfred''s where I had mine. She said those are the best. I also had fried dill pickles at BB King''s, and they were actually good, though a bit salty. Both the tomatoes and pickles are served with a horseradish sauce, which I love.

We went in a lot of bars, but they were mostly all dead. It was weird. And the bartenders weren''t friendly, and with no one else to talk to, it wasn''t much fun. The only place we hit that had a decent amount of people in it (besides our hotel bar) was the Flying Saucer, the bartender there was really nice and talkative. My hubby used to bartend, and he was shocked at how most of the bartenders wouldn''t strike up a conversation, that''s what a good bartender should do. Especially when you live in a tourist area. Yeah, just strange. However, I will say we weren''t in the bars late at night, and that may have something to do with no one being in them. We just were not comfortable being out later drinking, since we weren''t even comfortable during the day. I think if we had been with a group of people it might have been better, as far as feeling safer.

Anywho, it was an adventure, but just not what we had imagined.

I''ll post some pics after I go through them and resize. Skippy will be so proud of me.
16.gif
I''m bad about taking pics sometimes.
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, oh gosh, how sad and stressful about the panhandlers; I don't blame you for leaving early, ugh!! I am looking forward to the pictures and glad you went to Graceland! Were Elvis's cars cool? Was there a pink Caddy? hehe Did they serve up any banana & pb sandwiches?
31.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 9:46:50 AM
Author: Skippy123
Ellen, oh gosh, how sad and stressful about the panhandlers; I don't blame you for leaving early, ugh!! I am looking forward to the pictures and glad you went to Graceland! Were Elvis's cars cool? Was there a pink Caddy? hehe Did they serve up any banana & pb sandwiches?
31.gif
There was, and I have a pic of it, along with several others. They are hard to see, but we were only allowed to take pics with the flash off and it was really dark in there. I'm trying to lighten them up a bit.

And yeah, the panhandlers weren't fun. I'm not used to them being so aggressive. Standing around with a cup in your hand is one thing, coming up and talking to you is another.

We told the hotel why we were leaving and they were really nice about it, didn't charge us for the last night and took 40 bucks off the total owed. They said the mayor is working on the problem, and the manager said that after each big storm (Katrina like), they get more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results