shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone know anything about mold remediation?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We THINK we have some mold between the brick and plaster in one of our walls, and I am trying to find a company that will do the testing, but it seems like they all do testing and removal and everything I've read so far indicates that you want to not have the testing company be a removal company... Is this something you need to call homeowners insurance about?

mogster

Shiny_Rock
I would think that having a removal company do the testing would ensure that they will do a good job because they have an incentive (more mold = more business).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
mogster|1357601740|3349889 said:
I would think that having a removal company do the testing would ensure that they will do a good job because they have an incentive (more mold = more business).
That's actually what I read you shouldn't do, that you should get someone third party as a testing company only, and then get the removal company outside of that, because if they do both you end up not being totally sure you 1) actually have mold to remove and 2) you're not getting ripped off.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You're right, ame. Conflict of interest. Your insurance co. is a good idea. If you have or can join Angie's List, they will have recommendations you can definitely rely on. (I keep recommending them to everyone -- for $50/yr, it has been a godsend to me, saved me zillions by avoiding bad service companies.) Or, google Mold Testing Co.s Reviews for your city; that can be helpful too. Might be a good idea to interview a few before hiring one. Make sure their people are qualified scientists, etc. Here's why:

When we sold our last house the buyers had it mold tested. They used a co. whose primary business was as a dental lab! These clowns heard "mold is gold" & decided to cash in by doing that too. We had none. But they were paid $600 to find mold, & by god, they were gonna find some. Reported wallpaper paste that had soaked through & stained the wallpaper as mold growth. Dirt at the edge of a carpet as mold. The buyers then hired 3 different mold abaters -- who all said, "Why am I here? I can't find any mold to abate!" Still, of course, they tried to hold us up for a huge reduction in price for the house, which I absolutely refused. But it was a nightmare for months.

PITA but you're smart to address it quickly. Good luck!

--- Laurie

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh god what a nightmare. I am going to join Angies List I think. It seems all I can find in this area are companies that do both testing and abatement. They are not separate, I guess bec they realized it's a cash cow to abate it or something. I found what I THINK is a testing company but I am not sure. They have good reviews on the BBB site, well no complaints anyway, and they're the only one that has no complaints. The two that my insurance company suggested have B ratings, and the reviews you can read are pretty gnarly. One company doesn't even look like they handle mold stuff, at least not what we need. I contacted both via email, we'll see if either contacts me back. I am going to see if the company that looks promising is on Angie's List and see how they pan out.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good idea. The membership is a small price vs. what you can lose hiring the wrong people -- and paying for it to be re-done. I check it for everything, from doctors to roofers to appliance repair. It's really invaluable. I sound like a salesman, but 9 yrs using it makes me feel like one!

--- Laurie

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW, 9 years! I signed up today. I have three companies I looked at, two sound pretty promising. The one I was considering still doesn't sound thorough. Only has one review on there but it's a good one, and is only testing.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Terrific! Hope it goes well -- and they don't find any mold! Honestly, it will be handy to have the next time you need any sort of thing done. Recommendations from friends sometimes work out, sometimes not so much. This is more reliable -- and so many people use it that service providers are very conscious of doing a good job so you won't give them a bad review. A great many have told me they get a big percentage of their business from Angie's List.

--- Laurie

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I reviewed our fantastic plumber today on it.

I did search for the mold testing. I found a list of maybe 15 or so companies but none have more than maybe 9 or 10 reviews if even that. The only company that does ONLY testing but no remediation has an a rating but only one review. There are testing remediation companies with good ratings that have more reviews. I have no idea how to pick.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would find out how much it costs before you open a claim on with your insurance company. If it is a small job I would just pay out of pocket. Opening a claim works against you, just as an fyi. I don't have mold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results