shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have any purple scapolite? Lets see some pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I''m on the blue hunt (
20.gif
) I''m also looking at yet another purple stone. I''ve got in mind a purple scapolite but wanted to see how others have set them or will potentially set them.

So lets see some pics y''all!!!
36.gif

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one but I don''t like it at all - so no pictures, sorry!

Mine is too dark and too grey and just too bleurgh. It was bought from one of our precision cutters and in all honesty I should have returned it but ............... I didn''t! Hey ho, you can''t win ''em all!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2010 11:06:27 AM
Author:Arcadian
While I'm on the blue hunt (
20.gif
) I'm also looking at yet another purple stone. I've got in mind a purple scapolite but wanted to see how others have set them or will potentially set them.

So lets see some pics y'all!!!
36.gif

-A
Arcadian,
I think you would be better off getting a nice Zambian amethyst if you're looking for a nice purple stone, unless you just want a scapolite from a collector standpoint.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Purple Scapolite makes a nice addition to most collections. The color range of this material is purple to a violet/pink/red color. I have seen some of these stones set into pendants due to the general softness of the gem. Scapolite is a 5-6 on the hardness scale and does have some cleavage,
Unfortunately one of the other shortcummnings of this stone besides its hardness is that the purple color can fade in sunlight.

For overall durability, setting, and everyday use Amethyst is a much more practical choice for jewelry.
37.gif

I think you should ultimately choose whichever suits your fancy the most. Both amethyst and scapolite are beautiful!
36.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have ammy...I have TONS of it really, (just bought a JXR) so I really don''t want anymore at this point.

As far as durability, I have 2 sphene rings, so its not about how soft they are either, totally aware of that too.

However, I wanted to see what others have done with theirs if they have them, either ring, pendant, earrings, or not set, all the same to me.

I''m just a rebel
2.gif

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2010 2:00:27 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut
Purple Scapolite makes a nice addition to most collections. The color range of this material is purple to a violet/pink/red color. I have seen some of these stones set into pendants due to the general softness of the gem. Scapolite is a 5-6 on the hardness scale and does have some cleavage,
Unfortunately one of the other shortcummnings of this stone besides its hardness is that the purple color can fade in sunlight.

For overall durability, setting, and everyday use Amethyst is a much more practical choice for jewelry.
37.gif

I think you should ultimately choose whichever suits your fancy the most. Both amethyst and scapolite are beautiful!
36.gif
Maybe I should leave mine on the window cill and let it fade to a more attractive colour!!!
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2010 2:43:07 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

37.gif

36.gif
Maybe I should leave mine on the window cill and let it fade to a more attractive colour!!!
9.gif
Maybe you should post photos so we can deter Arcadian from making a scapolite purchase she doesn''t need.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2010 6:11:35 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

37.gif

36.gif
9.gif
Maybe you should post photos so we can deter Arcadian from making a scapolite purchase she doesn''t need.
No because it will be recognisable!!!
9.gif

Arc - how about a purple spinel or a purple sapphire (big big yummy)!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Arcadian, I know it's not purple, but I wanted to chime in as an owner of a scapolite set in a ring.

The sucker is soft. I don't wear my scapolite too often, simply because I've already scratched mine, and I constantly worry about it. I honestly don't know how my jeweler bezel set it without destroying it.
3.gif

Either way, if you choose to move forward with a puple scapolite, I'd love to see what you come up with!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2010 6:24:51 PM

Date: 2/13/2010 6:11:35 PM

37.gif

36.gif
9.gif
No because it will be recognisable!!!
9.gif

Arc - how about a purple spinel or a purple sapphire (big big yummy)!
Y''all are something else..
1237389l5e9y2e4mo.gif

I''m looking at a blue one (ok more like 4 blue ones) One is a cobalt but its tiny, I''ll know more when I get it. And I''ve already looked at a big ol purple sapphire
2.gif
(stop giving me ideas woman!)

Thanks Lauren for your input, it always helps to get an idea of what to expect. Setting and wearing for me wouldnt be a big issue since I wear sphene on my hands and I trust my jeweler to set it (though maybe not happily..lol)

However, the fading part I kinda freak out about. I''d not wear it mainly because of that.

-A

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi Arcadian:

35.gif

Tenebresence is the name given to a color change induced by UV light and with UV light, the result can be somewhat of a significant change.

I posted an example. My main intent of my original post hopefully was to not thwart you in one direction or another, but just inform with the intent of explaining my concerns. I think all gems deserve a place in our hearts.

21.gif

Your original inquiry was how others have set them…Hopefully we can get some more examples of just that…..

26.gif

scapexample.jpg

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Unfortunately one of the other shortcomings of this stone besides its hardness is that the purple color can fade in sunlight.

37.gif

36.gif
Hi Josh,
I reviewed some of the gemological literature, and I see that they state the hardness of transparent Scapolite as 6 to 6-1/2. I''m not trying to diminish the value of protecting Scapolite when set into jewelry, rings in particular. Yet it does have ''perfect'' cleavage so caution should be taken to reduce the opportunity of having a mounted stone taking a sharp blow.

You noted that Scapolite may fade after exposure to sunlight. I have yet to find this to be true, even though this is strictly anecdotal and my experience. But I have not found this discussed in the literature either. I''ve checked the GIA gem reference guide, Vargas and Webster''s, and there is no mention of it. Is it possible you were thinking of Kunzite or Amethyst?

I certainly agree with you though, that Amethyst is a more practical choice for regular wear, and they are both beautiful. As a potential comparison to Amethyst, I have submitted an image of a very fine piece of rough purple Scapolite weighing 3-1/2 grams. It is from Tanzania.

ScapolitePurpleRough3_73gr.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2010 11:06:43 AM
Author: Roger Dery

Unfortunately one of the other shortcomings of this stone besides its hardness is that the purple color can fade in sunlight.

37.gif

36.gif
Hi Josh,
I reviewed some of the gemological literature, and I see that they state the hardness of transparent Scapolite as 6 to 6-1/2. I''m not trying to diminish the value of protecting Scapolite when set into jewelry, rings in particular. Yet it does have ''perfect'' cleavage so caution should be taken to reduce the opportunity of having a mounted stone taking a sharp blow.

You noted that Scapolite may fade after exposure to sunlight. I have yet to find this to be true, even though this is strictly anecdotal and my experience. But I have not found this discussed in the literature either. I''ve checked the GIA gem reference guide, Vargas and Webster''s, and there is no mention of it. Is it possible you were thinking of Kunzite or Amethyst?

I certainly agree with you though, that Amethyst is a more practical choice for regular wear, and they are both beautiful. As a potential comparison to Amethyst, I have submitted an image of a very fine piece of rough purple Scapolite weighing 3-1/2 grams. It is from Tanzania.
Personally,
I don''t think that rough can hold a candle to a fine amethyst piece of rough. Sorry.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roger,
If that''s considered a very fine scapolite, I''ll have to agree with TL that amethyst does a better purple.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
actually, I think thats a neat looking purple. It would probably depend on how its cut.

Just my opinion, but all stones aren''t going to be pleasing to everyone and I got interested in scapolite for that reason. Its one of those "oddity stones" that well... some folks will scratch their heads and not be happy with, some will be over the moon for.

Personally I''m not looking for a purple stone that looks like it would be another amethyst. I got enough ammy to choke a horse at this point! LOL

Different can be good, and in this case, I want the stone to wow me on its own merits without reminding me of something else I already have.

-A

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
TL - and Chrono,
For Scapolite, as a species, it is a very fine purple specimen. And yes, I too believe Amethyst creates the finer purple. My intent was to show an excellent example of purple colored Scapolite.

Amethyst also has the benefit of being more available, and in larger sizes. Whereas, Scapolite in purple tend to be fairly small in comparison.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2010 3:29:10 PM
Author: Arcadian
actually, I think thats a neat looking purple. It would probably depend on how its cut.

Just my opinion, but all stones aren''t going to be pleasing to everyone and I got interested in scapolite for that reason. Its one of those ''oddity stones'' that well... some folks will scratch their heads and not be happy with, some will be over the moon for.

Personally I''m not looking for a purple stone that looks like it would be another amethyst. I got enough ammy to choke a horse at this point! LOL

Different can be good, and in this case, I want the stone to wow me on its own merits without reminding me of something else I already have.

-A
Arcadian,
If you''re looking for a greyish purple stone, like that scapolite, why not a purple spinel? At least it''s more durable and has a higher RI. I''ve seen purple spinels that color all the time. Barry, Dan and Gene often get that material in the color of the scapolite rough above. Even an iolite has that color and is not as soft, although I don''t recommend it as much as spinel. Just wanting to help you avoid a soft stone in that color.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2010 6:36:13 PM

Date: 2/14/2010 3:29:10 PM
Author: Arcadian

Just my opinion, but all stones aren''t going to be pleasing to everyone and I got interested in scapolite for that reason. Its one of those ''oddity stones'' that well... some folks will scratch their heads and not be happy with, some will be over the moon for.

-A
Arcadian,
If you''re looking for a greyish purple stone, like that scapolite, why not a purple spinel? At least it''s more durable and has a higher RI. I''ve seen purple spinels that color all the time. Barry, Dan and Gene often get that material in the color of the scapolite rough above. Even an iolite has that color and is not as soft, although I don''t recommend it as much as spinel. Just wanting to help you avoid a soft stone in that color.
I already have iolite. Its not the color of scapolite though. And as far as spinel, I''m not really looking for it in purple, when I''m already looking at blue.

Granted, I know some of you don''t like purple scapolite. Understood. I''m looking for responses from those that don''t mind it, like it, and have it.

-A

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think purple scapolites are neat as well! Any idea of what kind of cut you''re looking for? I''ve saw a marquis recently and I thought it was very different!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian,
Roger can correct me on this, but I think scapolite color improves if cut with the table along a particular axis, I think the c-axis, making the grey (if it's purple) or brown (if it's yellow) less prevelant. Therefore, if you're looking for scapolite that is already cut, I would ask about that. It seems to be a dichroic stone. Just something to keep in mind. Take a look at this rough from Amguy, I would have the table cut along the ends of the stone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOP-PURPLE-SCAPOLITE-FACET-ROUGH-CRYSTAL-21-95ct_W0QQitemZ260543152574QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca99501be

In the photos, you can see the difference in the color as the stone is sideways or shown from the top of the rough. This piece of rough looks very nice as far as scapolite is concerned and seems to be a very good price. I like the formation of the crystal actually, and I would be hesitant to even cut this. Very nice termination, and crystal collectors go nuts for that.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/14/2010 11:05:36 PM
Arcadian,
Roger can correct me on this, but I think scapolite color improves if cut with the table along a particular axis, I think the c-axis, making the grey (if it''s purple) or brown (if it''s yellow) less prevelant. Therefore, if you''re looking for scapolite that is already cut, I would ask about that. It seems to be a dichroic stone. Just something to keep in mind. Take a look at this rough from Amguy, I would have the table cut along the ends of the stone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOP-PURPLE-SCAPOLITE-FACET-ROUGH-CRYSTAL-21-95ct_W0QQitemZ260543152574QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca99501be

In the photos, you can see the difference in the color as the stone is sideways or shown from the top of the rough. This piece of rough looks very nice as far as scapolite is concerned and seems to be a very good price. I like the formation of the crystal actually, and I would be hesitant to even cut this. Very nice termination, and crystal collectors go nuts for that.
T-L,
It is true, to acquire the finest color for a purple Scapolite, the table should be placed on the end of the crystal - as noted, the ''C'' axis. If the table is placed on the A/B side, you will still have a purple stone, only lighter in color. In addition, placing the table on the ''C'' axis, allows the light to travel down the optic axis of the stone. This slightly reduces the effect of its double refraction (and dichroic nature), and will make for a brighter, livelier gem.

Regarding the piece for sale on Ebay, this is a very fine example of Scapolite. Finer than anything we found in Tanzania during our recent trips. It is also priced very well. I should note, this particular rough could be sliced in half and produce a very nice matched pair in rounds, ovals or squarish antique cushions.

I hope this has been a little helpful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roger,
Since scapolites have better colour down the C-axis due to its dichroicism, is it not better to sacrifice some size in order to get better colour by placing the table at the end of the crystal (c-axis)? Cutting it this way will not be a total loss because the rough can be split down the middle allowing the cutter to have a matched pair.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Roger.

Unfortunately, because color is so saturated on the c-axis, one would lose much carat weight cutting these stones for the best color, so that's also something to keep in mind. That's probably why there's a lot of cut greyish purple and brownish yellow scapolites, rather than a more saturated color for these gems.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/15/2010 9:08:53 AM
Author: Chrono
Roger,

Since scapolites have better colour down the C-axis due to its dichroicism, is it not better to sacrifice some size in order to get better colour by placing the table at the end of the crystal (c-axis)? Cutting it this way will not be a total loss because the rough can be split down the middle allowing the cutter to have a matched pair.
Hi Chrono,
Of course, it all depends on the condition of the rough crystal, but yes, most cutters would focus on the best color, sacrificing size. It is possible with Scapolite, that the color differential is not great between the two color directions. When this occurs, it will allow a cutter to acquire a fairly large stone. The largest one (in purple) that I have handled was just over 13cts - which for purple Scapolite is a very good size.

That being said, it is uncommon to have such a clean crystal as was shown on the ebay sale noted above. Generally, they are not clean, and so the cutter must make a choice regarding best color, largest size, cleanest finished gem. All considerations are worked through at the preforming stage when we are able to see what is possible. And, hopefully, our decision is wise.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/15/2010 9:09:51 AM
Thanks Roger.

Unfortunately, because color is so saturated on the c-axis, one would lose much carat weight cutting these stones for the best color, so that''s also something to keep in mind. That''s probably why there''s a lot of cut greyish purple and brownish yellow scapolites, rather than a more saturated color for these gems.
Hi TL,
Not all purple Scapolite is so saturated that we would avoid using the ''C-axis'' as its table area. However, as you''ve noted, sometimes it is. When this occurs it is possible to ''tilt'' the crystal so that it is partly favoring the ''C'' and partly favoring the ''A/B'' axes. In this way (similar to how we orient Iolite) we can capitalize on both color options and sometimes acquire an even larger stone with reasonably good color. This too, may minimize the amount of grey that shows up with some purple Scapolite.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2010 8:42:05 PM
Author: IndyLady
I think purple scapolites are neat as well! Any idea of what kind of cut you''re looking for? I''ve saw a marquis recently and I thought it was very different!

Honestly, I''m open to any. So far I''ve seen a cushion cut that I really like a lot. But I''m open to cut as long as I like it.

To all, to say the least, this thread has been intersting.

I don''t want people to do is miscontrue my intent in starting this thread. I already that I have a scapolite in mind since its on my list of stones; meaning, I''ve done reasearch into color and hardness.
And y''all should know enough by now If I''m posting about a particular species, I''m not looking for alternatives.

If I want a stone that looks like an amethyst, I''ll just get an amethyst. Thats just how I am. Same thing with any other stone. I don''t need a stone to be a fake out, I want it to be what it is.
For me, a stone has to be pretty on its own merits, and not "look like something else". My pretty and someone elses of course is going to be different, and thats cool, it keeps most of us from fighting for the same stones right?

Also, I''ll decide what I need or don''t need. Trust and believe, don''t want to go there.
Thanks to all for all for showing an examples of rough.

The fading issue isn''t something I ran across in my research, so thank you Colored Gemstone Nut for bringing that up. It gives me much food for thought if I go ahead and get this stone.

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian I''m sorry that nobody has posted up photos of their Scapolites because I know that there are a few PSers who bought some at the same time as me. Anyway, these are the best photos of mine. It''s just not "me". I''m sure others may love it but it''s too grey, extinct and dead looking for me. These are the best photos of it and as you can see it does look more blue in some lights. I hope this gives you a better idea if one is for you or not.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
It''s an asscher, you should sell it since that''s the hot cut nowadays, no matter what the color.
2.gif

Arcadian,
That scapolite rough from Amguy is nice. If you''re looking into getting a nice stone, perhaps get that one and have it cut???

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LD, I appreciate being able to see yours. IMO big poppy colors do have their place and for me, I guess, that time isn''t now. I do tend to buy anything to do with color to reflect my moods or how the color themselves make me feel.

I''ve always been that way, so sometimes, I get some odd stuff and just happen to like it because it does reflect who I am at the time I''m wearing it. And we all know that my likes are all over the place and on a few weird spectrums
2.gif

Plus I wear lots of black, and everything goes with black
9.gif

-A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results