shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have a PALLADIUM Ring??? Need Experience advise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

find45di2

Shiny_Rock
So I am on the verge of buying my girlfriend an engagement ring and am trying to decide if Palladium is something I should consider. She said she wanted white gold but doesn''t realize it needs Rhodium replating every so often.

Does anyone have a PALLADIUM setting???

Do you like it? Love it? Hate it?

Any feedback is appreciated to help me decide if I should go with Palladium or not :)

LADIES! HELP ME :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Palladium is definitely the way to go if you don''t want to shell out the extra cash for platinum and don''t want to deal with the upkeep of WG. I don''t have palladium myself, but I have a recently engaged friend who does and she loves her ring. Aside from the occasional polishing, she won''t have to re-rhodium which was a concern in the past with other white gold rings she''s worn.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My wedding band is palladium. Love it. Low maintenance, keeps its shine, stays white... I was a little worried about having a palladium band after reading a few things on PS (a search will bring up several threads), but I don''t have any regrets on our choice at all.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I have three palladium settings... a channel set anniversary band, pave shanked e-ring and plain 2mm wedding band. I love palladium. As I have never owned any platinum jewelry, the fact that palladium is "lightweight" does not bother me at all. It is the same weight as my previous settings which were YG.

I am finding, however, that palladium wears like platinum. All three of my rings have a patina going. At first they looked a little scuffy. Then all the scuffs blend together and you have that nice patina. And it never has to be plated. It stays nice and white. My best friend and I compared my palladium setting to her Tacori platinum setting. We both found the "color" of the metal to be the same.

For me, palladium was a great choice. I am not into the replating that needs to be done with white gold. And platinum pushes the budget too much. Palladium was the perfect compromise. The key is to find a jeweler who works with it.

find45di2

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies and experience with Palladium.

So what exactly does Patina look like on a Palladium ring? Is it just the standard darkening of the metal that can be buffed/polished off by a jeweler? I read somewhere that Palladium may get dark and is harder to buff later in its wear stages, is this true?

My Girlfriend said that she likes White Gold, but I am trying to consider Palladium as an option that doesn''t need to always be re Rhodium plated. It was a hard decision when I only knew about White Gold and Platinum, now there is another option :)

Anyone else care to share their knowledge, and experience on Palladium and the Patina that comes along with its wear?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she wants her ring to stay bright and shiny, you should stick with white gold. The others turn dark gray over time. There is no more trouble involved with rhodium plating than having platinum polished.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I recently had a 3 stone ring I inherited reset from white gold into palladium. The color is more along the lines of platinum, which took some geting used to, but I LOVE PALLADIUM!!! After dealing with white gold for years and having to get my ring replated every 6 months, it was really starting to get on my nerves! I was finding myself not wearing my white gold as often because I was trying to preserve the plating and make it last as long as possible. Palladium is softer than white gold, but not as soft as platinum, so it does scratch easier. For about the first 2 weeks, I will be honest, it looked awful, just dinged and scratched. But I gave it another 2 weeks, and the scratches and dings evened out into the nice patina that platinum gets and I have to say, it looks really great. I recently purchased a palladium 3mm plain band to wear with it, as I was still wearing my white gold band. I am still in the month-long adjustment period of getting the patina evened out, but I can tell it''s starting to look just like the 3 stone ring. I think palladium is the perfect metal for me...it has all of the "pluses" of platinum without the pricetag!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results