shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone growing their hair out?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 10:09:50 AM
Author: Lorelei
I agree with Lady K, by regular trims about every 10 - 12 weeks or so is plenty. You need to do this so that you feel you are getting somewhere with the distance between the bangs and the rest of your hair getting closer, so you can see the progress you are making. Six week trims is overkill in my opinion, only necessary if you have a ''sharp and precise'' haircut that needs shaping often. The one length bob is a good idea too as a starting point. Also it sounds awful
32.gif
but I never ever brush my hair. It is long and naturally wavy and also coloured. I started to get some breakage a while back and realized that brushing my mop was doing it. So now what I do is condition it really well, the comb it through carefully with a wide tooth comb when I wash it, then just run my fingers through it in between. Most of the time I shove it up anyway to get it out of the way and only blow dry it and straighten it if we are going out. You wouldn''t believe the difference this has made to my hair''s condition from stopping the ''100 strokes of the brush at bedtime'' as I was brainwashed to do! Losing the brush was hard, but it has made a world of difference.
I''m pretty sure the 100 strokes at bedtime was back when they didn''t bathe daily and they needed to distribute the oils from their scalp to the rest of the hair. I do what you do - I comb it out when I''m out of the shower and then I leave it. Besides, if I brush it between it just gets frizzy LOL

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 9:27:19 AM
Author: AmandaPanda
Although it''s freaking me out a little, I''m growing my hair out really long so I can donate it to charity. I haven''t decided which place yet, so far I''ve researched Lockes of Love and the one through Pantene. I know when my mom had chemo and had to wear a wig, there was such a difference between synthetic and human hair wigs. I''m a little nervous about having short hair so I''m trying to enusre that even when the 10 inches are cut off, my hair will still be at a normal length.
well, you might want to know that the donated hair does not get used for the charity, .They found that the kids did not want wigs they want kerchiefs. The whole thing is a sham. The charity is under investigation for fraud. they have bad marks with the better business bureau.

What locks of love does not want you to know is that they sell your precious donated hair for extensions and hair fetishists on ebay.

Please do your own homework and form your own opinion about locks of love. I would rather that you grow your beautiful hair for yourself.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 5:36:25 PM
Author: ladykemma

Date: 7/20/2006 9:27:19 AM
Author: AmandaPanda
Although it's freaking me out a little, I'm growing my hair out really long so I can donate it to charity. I haven't decided which place yet, so far I've researched Lockes of Love and the one through Pantene. I know when my mom had chemo and had to wear a wig, there was such a difference between synthetic and human hair wigs. I'm a little nervous about having short hair so I'm trying to enusre that even when the 10 inches are cut off, my hair will still be at a normal length.
well, you might want to know that the donated hair does not get used for the charity, .They found that the kids did not want wigs they want kerchiefs. The whole thing is a sham. The charity is under investigation for fraud. they have bad marks with the better business bureau.

What locks of love does not want you to know is that they sell your precious donated hair for extensions and hair fetishists on ebay.

Please do your own homework and form your own opinion about locks of love. I would rather that you grow your beautiful hair for yourself.
6.gif

Oh my god. Are you serious? *headsplode*

23.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
yeah, I would like people to have the information. The Long Hair Community on the internet knows a whole lot about Good Ole "Locks of Lies".

Please everyone do your own research and form your own opnion.

I frankly don''t want my "hard growed har" on some rich ladies extensions, or worse.... with the perverts.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 10:09:50 AM
Author: Lorelei
I agree with Lady K, by regular trims about every 10 - 12 weeks or so is plenty. You need to do this so that you feel you are getting somewhere with the distance between the bangs and the rest of your hair getting closer, so you can see the progress you are making. Six week trims is overkill in my opinion, only necessary if you have a ''sharp and precise'' haircut that needs shaping often. The one length bob is a good idea too as a starting point. Also it sounds awful
32.gif
but I never ever brush my hair. It is long and naturally wavy and also coloured. I started to get some breakage a while back and realized that brushing my mop was doing it. So now what I do is condition it really well, the comb it through carefully with a wide tooth comb when I wash it, then just run my fingers through it in between. Most of the time I shove it up anyway to get it out of the way and only blow dry it and straighten it if we are going out. You wouldn''t believe the difference this has made to my hair''s condition from stopping the ''100 strokes of the brush at bedtime'' as I was brainwashed to do! Losing the brush was hard, but it has made a world of difference.
I am a wavy/curly. I work out tangles with my fingers, then i use a wide tooth comb. Brushing does not work for me, i can hear the snap crackle pop of breaking hairs.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
My hair doesn''t enjoy brushing either, but I always looked like something the cat dragged in without a decent brush (or at least I did when my hair was long; now I hardly brush).

I''m not sure what my hair is, I put a pic up of what it looked like long though.

Does anyone know what biotin occurs in naturally? I''m not a huge vitamin girl.

mereading.jpg

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
i have been growing my hair for 2 almost 2.5 years now. I had varying lengths of hair when I was growing up but almost always long enough to ponytail.. Then a few years ago I decided I wanted it shorter.. and then I went shorter..Chin length or so with layers as short as eyebrow level.. It was cute.. and trendy.. and my hair was healthy.. but it wasn''t me! I knew almost immediately that I didn''t want it that short.. And then a few months after that we got engaged and since I wanted long curls for my wedding I had to get it GROWING!!! It seems like it grows in spurts.. Like it will grow for awhile.. then stop.. then all of a sudden in two weeks it will grow like an inch.. I think right now my hair is pretty much at its length limit.. Or close to it.. and this summer has been SOOO hot and humid and my hair is such a frizzball I''m tempted to cut it again!

Here was me with Super short hair in march of 04

shorthaor234.JPG

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Also, at the risk of grossing people out--

Am I alone here, or can anyone else absolutely NOT wash their hair more than once--at most twice--a week? If I do mine snaps, gets brittle, and althogether quarrelsome. So I just showercap it until it feels ready (i.e. slightly greasy but not really) and then wash it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you go to the Long Hair Community forum, you''ll find people who don''t wash their long tresses at all but merely brush. there''s a woman that was on TV that hasn''t washed hers in 11 years......
distributing the natural oils seems to be why people had lovely gorgeous shiny healthy looking hair ''back in the day''. we''ve all bought into the marketing of hair products, myself included.

if you do wash your hair in hot to warm water, make sure that your final rinse is in cool/cold water to close the pores of your scalp and the hair shaft. don''t brush when wet...in fact, most say don''t comb when wet...i do but with a very wide toothed comb....or my fav is to do it out in the sun with my fingers. my hair always looks best when i''ve done that. i also subscribe to the trim no more than once very 6 months even when growing out. i do not brush as i, too, find that ''snapping'' sound of hair disturbing.....even with the expensive recommended brush from the woman that flies up to SF from LA once very two months for her long-hair clientel

long hair to the hip, movie zombie

btw, good old olive oil is a great hair mositurizer, especially for the ends that dry out so easily.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
and then a seriies of growth pics

August 04

47b5df05b3127cce9f43a5879c2b00000026108Aat2Tlq0bN6

Jan/Feb 05
mel%20jeff%20sheas%20resize.JPG

Sept 05
pic48resize.JPG

May 06!!!
097.jpg

413.jpg

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 6:21:46 PM
Author: rainbowtrout
Also, at the risk of grossing people out--

Am I alone here, or can anyone else absolutely NOT wash their hair more than once--at most twice--a week? If I do mine snaps, gets brittle, and althogether quarrelsome. So I just showercap it until it feels ready (i.e. slightly greasy but not really) and then wash it.
I only wash my hair every two to three days. I try to go three if possible..

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
wedding pix are wonderful! nice hair!

I follow the long hair community instructions. Absolutely no blow drying and no straightening.
I am trying for "freakishly long hair" now. ha ha.

When I was using shampoo i never could get past bra strap. now that I don''t use shampoo, my hair is really full and fluffy and much longer.

What she doesn''t use shampoo? huh?

In the hot houston summer I wash my scalp daily with VO5 kiwi and lime conditioner, diluted by half. in the winter i wash every two days. I use greasy nature''s gate herbal conditioner on the ends. They call this technique Conditioner Only. I know it sounds gross but it realy works. Nice clean smelling good non oily fresh hair.

I know there are other long hairs who wash once a week, but I can''t -- too greasy.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I''m also trying to grow mine out for our wedding. For lack of better description, it''s currently just at arm-pit level. It''s curly/wavy and brushing it turns it into a big frizzball, so I don''t brush it either. I use a wide-toothed comb about once a day to get out any knots. The last time I cut it was in late March.

Movie Zombie, do you know how girls who can''t/won''t brush their hair can distribute the natural oils?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
you

Date: 7/20/2006 6:40:40 PM
Author: Blenheim
I'm also trying to grow mine out for our wedding. For lack of better description, it's currently just at arm-pit level. It's curly/wavy and brushing it turns it into a big frizzball, so I don't brush it either. I use a wide-toothed comb about once a day to get out any knots. The last time I cut it was in late March.

Movie Zombie, do you know how girls who can't/won't brush their hair can distribute the natural oils?
you might have success with the "curly girl routine" found on Long Hair Community.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
LK, can you put up some hair pics? Interested to see what yours looks like.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
my hubby has camera offshore. will do when he returns

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Wow, nice pictures!
I don''t know what possessed me to do the perm thing. I used to do it in high school--I just pictured myself with the tossled sexy look (What was I thinking?)and thought, yeah, I''ll get a body perm. Nope, not going to do that again, ever. I just want healthy normal hair now. I remember I had a friend in school who used to just wash her scalp when she washed her hair-just worked the soap/water in with fingers. I wash with Pantene shampoo and their 3 minute conditioner pretty much every night..my hair is probably screaming for the conditioner only method-I''ll have to try that.
Yep, I guess it''s time to start acquiring all the cute hair accessories to pull the mane back as it grows. I''m lucky that I work in an elementary school and am known for doing crazy things with my hair (sparkly ponytail holders, feather boa bows, whatever I''m in the mood to do-the kids love it).
I''m in shock about the LFL...
6.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I''d love to see your hair too, Lady Kemma.

I''ve been looking at the Long Hair Community website, and from the pictures I think I''m a 2c. I''m having problems finding the "curly girl routine" though -- is there any chance you could post a link or directions?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i asked for the official info to be posted.

in the meantime i have been following what some other curly/ wavies have been doing, according to the book

washing with light conditioner, no shampoo
mist or dampening dry hair for curl reviving /frizz control on second and third day hair
embracing your waves or curls and not fighting your hair type anymore.
stop use of brushes and use picks or combs only
we are not all going to have ironed straight jennifer aniston hair.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 6:24:10 PM
Author: movie zombie
if you go to the Long Hair Community forum, you''ll find people who don''t wash their long tresses at all but merely brush. there''s a woman that was on TV that hasn''t washed hers in 11 years......
distributing the natural oils seems to be why people had lovely gorgeous shiny healthy looking hair ''back in the day''. we''ve all bought into the marketing of hair products, myself included.

if you do wash your hair in hot to warm water, make sure that your final rinse is in cool/cold water to close the pores of your scalp and the hair shaft. don''t brush when wet...in fact, most say don''t comb when wet...i do but with a very wide toothed comb....or my fav is to do it out in the sun with my fingers. my hair always looks best when i''ve done that. i also subscribe to the trim no more than once very 6 months even when growing out. i do not brush as i, too, find that ''snapping'' sound of hair disturbing.....even with the expensive recommended brush from the woman that flies up to SF from LA once very two months for her long-hair clientel

long hair to the hip, movie zombie

btw, good old olive oil is a great hair mositurizer, especially for the ends that dry out so easily.
movie zombie can you post pix? love to see it!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LadyKemma. I'm glad to see that I have been doing some things right at least. I wash more than perhaps I should, but I have embraced the texture and only use wide combs.

ETA: Just found the LHC thread. Thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The misting of hair works well if it is curly to revive it. I get the most darling
28.gif
little ringlets if I am out in the rain or mist my wig with water, as I am so lazy with it.....Saves the bother of frying and ironing it!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 1:50:32 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Well.. its nice my computer is allowing me to NOT upload anymore photos.. but.. my current length hair is in the brides forum under my new engagement photos..
9.gif
Man I just looove aol sometimes.. NOT.
29.gif
The picture in my avatar was in June, for my 40th bday.. its grown quite a lot since then. :)
You are so photogenic! I''m trying to find your latest pic under Brides--my first time over there!

LikeCandy

Rough_Rock
Have you ever thought of getting extensions?

I got them last summer for a wedding. They are life transforming. I never felt more beautiful. It is like mermaid goddess hair. It is so full, thick and falls around you like a crown of glory. They were expensive though; $2000 dollars including everything, shampoos, special brushes, and getting them taken out. And they were a lot of work too. They didn''t damage my hair which was something I was paranoid about the whole time. While they are in, your hair does grow a lot. I am going to do them again soon. I have a new colorist who said she could do them for 800 to 1200.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Ok, educate me. Why do you take extensions out? Are they glued in? Is it real hair?
I''m trying to decide if I am going to venture into wearing headbands...

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 10:28:38 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 7/22/2006 8:12:17 PM
Author: justjulia
Ok, educate me. Why do you take extensions out? Are they glued in? Is it real hair?
I''m trying to decide if I am going to venture into wearing headbands...
I have a friend who has them crimped in with little metal pieces wrapped around her own hair - 1800 of them.. They can be glued in, they can be clipped in, they can be sewn in. It can be either synthetic (yucky looking in my opinion) or natural hair. I say.... napes to any of them.. and I was seriously contemplating. Its expensive.. and.. damaging.
Glamorous photos!!!!! You two are obviously so much in love.
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
wow, so much useful info here! I am late tho this thread, but I am growing out my hair too.

But my hair is super-fine, super-straight, though relatively thick.

I started growing it out when i got a haircut in Feb that pissed me off at how short he did it. I just stopped getting haircuts. By June I was able to pull it up into a 1 inch pony tail with lots of clips to hold it up. I got one of those $20 acrylic fake hair attachment thingies at a kisosk in the mall.
It looked pretty good though it''s getting a little worn out now.

I want to get a custom made clip-on and I think I''m going to try this place:

http://www.mylongtresses.com/services.html

SDL- your engagement photos are just wonderful. You''ll be glad yu had them done. I was advised to do the same and I just never got around to it. Now I wish I had!
Dh & I have talked about getting anniversary photos to fix my little craving.
It''s just so nice to celebrate every aspect of falling in love with Mr. Right.
It''s a special time!!

ladykemma, I would SO love to see pics when you post them!!
Thanks for all the info.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results