shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone familiar with Sophia Fiori blue diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
We were recently in St. Martin and I found a ring that I really liked. It was the Sophia Fiori penelope ring which is a flower ring made of diamonds with a blue diamond (heated) in the center. I only wish the center stone was a lighter blue. This is a picture of the ring. It is white gold and comes in various sizes, but the size I looked at had a .5 ct center and .65 or so of white diamonds. The center diamond was SI clarity and the other diamonds were G color and I think SI if I remember correctly. The jewelery came down to $1645 and I think it was a pretty good deal, but wasn''t 100% sure. We ran out of time, so, I didn''t get it, but I''m off to Alaska in a few weeks and there is the same jeweler there and I was going to see if I could get the same price or lower. Do you think it is a good price? I''m attempting to attach a picture...

Copy of R12283.jpg

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
I''m sorry it was so big. I have no idea how to adjust the size. It is ironic that is says "small." sorry.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the center blue diamond - too dark. I actually bought a .40 point irradiated blue diamond on ebay of SI clarity and the same color for around $30. That color of irradiated blue diamond is not very expensive. I think it's a fair RETAIL price, but you can probably get it made cheaper.

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
I''m just curious, but if you can get a heated diamond of that size for so cheap, why can''t you buy a white diamond of that size for the same price? Do they use really bad stones or something? I''m just trying to figure out if it is an actual diamond how it could be so cheap.

I thought of having something made, but based on what I''ve been reading on here, I''d expect the setting to be over $1,000. What would you estimate? I''m not interested in the settings off of ebay. I''ve looked at this ring twice now and the white diamonds are nicely cut and I wouldn''t settle for for less than fully cut stones.

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Obviously, if I could get a similar setting custom made, I''d be able to find a light blue stone (spinel?) to put in the Center that I liked better. I just honestly got the idea that custom settings were much more expensive from posts on here.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2009 8:12:20 PM
Author: joy2theworld
I'm just curious, but if you can get a heated diamond of that size for so cheap, why can't you buy a white diamond of that size for the same price? Do they use really bad stones or something? I'm just trying to figure out if it is an actual diamond how it could be so cheap.

I thought of having something made, but based on what I've been reading on here, I'd expect the setting to be over $1,000. What would you estimate? I'm not interested in the settings off of ebay. I've looked at this ring twice now and the white diamonds are nicely cut and I wouldn't settle for for less than fully cut stones.
They typically use diamonds with bad color to begin with, and irradiate them to blue. That's why some irradiated blue diamonds, not all, are very inexpensive.

You can get an LOGR setting like that for really cheap, less than $700. LOGR (Lord of the Gems Rings) is an ebay seller, and many of us have his settings. They're made in China, but very nice for the price.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d have a problem with them saying it''s "heated" when that sucker is definitely irradiated. I would agree that you can get that made for less. Do you know the stats of the white diamonds?

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
I believe the white diamonds are a total weight of .65 and are color G, SI 1 quality.
With all due respect to those who have bought rings from LGR on here, I haven''t been a fan of what I''ve seen in terms of the diamonds. The settings remind me of the jewelry that I see at Sam''s and similar places. I guess I like them just a little bigger so that you can see the facets and all. I don''t care for the diamonds as much on the band of this ring either, but the diamonds around the blue diamond were very nicely cut and were a nice size.
Who would you recommend to possibly do a custom ring like this for a comparable price or less?

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
I have never heard of Sophia Fiori until I went on a cruise to Mexico a couple of years ago. The cruise line shopping reps were pushing this line. They represented the merchandise as very exclusive and gave the impression that the blue diamonds were natural color. Treatment was never mentioned until I asked if the color was due to radiation treatment. Then they admitted they were. Whoever told you the blue diamond was enhanced by heat, was misrepresenting the treatment. I have learned from bad experience that when you are traveling, especially on a cruise, you never get good deals, unless you have local friends to take you shopping. When cruise line recommends stores, it does not mean the store has been checked out to be reputable. It only means the store gives the cruise line a rebate when you buy something. If you ever need to return something purchased from a foreign country, it is a long tedious stressful process.

AN

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Thanks AN. I''ve just really liked the style of this ring and wouldn''t mind getting one made even if it were a little more as long as the quality was good. I didn''t realize that irradiated diamonds were that bad. I''ve looked at the lab created blue ones since they come in a lighter color, but the price is about $3500 for less than a carat round stone. I guess my husband will be saving some money in Alaska. :)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
If I were you, I would avoid this particular line. A quick browse in Google gives me a whole forum of people that are not happy with the company, and that none of the jewelery appraised for anywhere near what they paid. If you want a ring like this, call Whiteflash or Brian Gavin and have them source a spinel and GOOD diamonds for you. Not to mention a more quality setting.

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Can you tell me more about Brian Gavin? I am familiar with Whiteflash, but his website doesn''t seem to be up.
Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2009 8:51:16 PM
Author: joy2theworld
I believe the white diamonds are a total weight of .65 and are color G, SI 1 quality.
With all due respect to those who have bought rings from LGR on here, I haven't been a fan of what I've seen in terms of the diamonds. The settings remind me of the jewelry that I see at Sam's and similar places. I guess I like them just a little bigger so that you can see the facets and all. I don't care for the diamonds as much on the band of this ring either, but the diamonds around the blue diamond were very nicely cut and were a nice size.
Who would you recommend to possibly do a custom ring like this for a comparable price or less?
I understand, but the pictures he posts are generally terrible, and if you upgrade the diamonds to VS quality, they're really actually very nice. I have an expensive mount I bought from my upscale jeweler and the diamonds look exactly like the upgraded diamonds in some of my LOGR's. There are also some diamond mounts he has with very large full cut stones, so he can obtain him.

Here's one with large full cut diamonds, and these appear to be nice quality (again, his pictures stink), and it's twice the diamond weight as the one you're interested in. He can customize the setting to fit any stone. However, I understand that LOGR is not everyone's thing, but I just thought I'd put this option out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-14K-WHITE-GOLD-SEMI-MOUNT-RING-OVAL-6x8MM_W0QQitemZ220450084367QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGemstone_Rings?hash=item3353d9560f&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3%7C66%3A4%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200

Here's another one with exactly .61 points of larger full cut super sparkley diamonds that would fit around a half carat diamond center stone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROUND-4-5MM-DIAMOND-SEMI-MOUNT-14K-GOLD-ENGAGEMENT-RING_W0QQitemZ220450103793QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiamond_Solitaire_with_Accents?hash=item3353d9a1f1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A4%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A3%7C294%3A200

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you do a search here on Pricescope, you should find at least a dozen threads of people who are thrilled with Brian Gavin Diamonds. Seeing as how I am not one of them (poor college student here--my jewelry budget is non-existent at the moment) I don''t feel comfortable posting the links. But if you do do a search, I''m certain that at least one thread will have a link to BGD on it.

And if you''d like some eye candy, I''d be on the lookout for Gypsy''s pendant from BGD.
23.gif

(And I''m not a huge fan of LOGR either, but then again, I don''t own a piece from them, so I can''t say from personal experience. I do love my ACAs from Whiteflash though--secondhand setting with that one.)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The central diamond is definitely irradiated - which is fine for the price. I hate to disagree with TL but irradiated blue diamonds, if they have good clarity and SI isn''t bad, they can command a fair price. TL struck very lucky with her irradiated blue but I doubt whether there are many of good clarity on the market for that price. If you are willing to wait until one comes along then you could save some money by buying one as a loose stone and then putting it into a semi mount as TL has suggested. However, finding a loose good irradiated blue with good clarity is not an easy task.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi!

Just my personal opinion, but I dislike the ring you posted: the proportions seem rather ungainly and the prongs in the halo diamonds are way too large. I would also avoid cruise jewelers (and any vendor recommended by a cruise line, actually, since they are not a list of good vendors, but rather of those who have an agreement with the line).

I would second Whiteflash or Brian Gavin for custom work. Have you looked at Adwar and Stuller? They sell stock settings and might have something similar. Instead of an irradiated diamond, I would ask Dan Stair to cut a nice blue spinel (take a look at Freke''s stones).

Finally, a slightly controversial point: single cuts are not "less" than fully cut melee, just as a

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry - misbehaving browser!

Anyway, a fully cut melee isn''t "better" than single or other cuts (French cuts - yumm!). It is a diferent look. For small melee, I prefer single cuts, since the facets are larger.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2009 5:50:26 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
The central diamond is definitely irradiated - which is fine for the price. I hate to disagree with TL but irradiated blue diamonds, if they have good clarity and SI isn't bad, they can command a fair price. TL struck very lucky with her irradiated blue but I doubt whether there are many of good clarity on the market for that price. If you are willing to wait until one comes along then you could save some money by buying one as a loose stone and then putting it into a semi mount as TL has suggested. However, finding a loose good irradiated blue with good clarity is not an easy task.
I agree with you LD.
9.gif
I had said only some irradiated blue diamonds, not all, are inexpensive. I believe it has to do with the original diamond, and it's coloration, and the final outcome on the irradiated color of the stone. My stone, although SI clarity, is very dark inky blue, so I would imagine that affects the price as well, but I could be wrong. There is a PS'er with a gorgeous blue asscher irradiated blue diamond (I wish I could find the picture) and I'm sure that stone would be very expensive. It is a lighter blue and just gorgeous.

You can sometimes find irradiated blue diamonds that are second hand for rather inexpensive. My blue diamond was such a stone. However, I know the original cost to my seller was around $160, and that was still pretty good.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Our hereditary blue diamond.
Specs are:
Weight - 2.6 Carat
Size - 8.3 mm.
Clarity - SI2
I think a little more deep blue would be better?

bbdag.jpg

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Joy--I may be in the minority, but I LOVE the color of irradiated blue diamonds. My husband bought me a set (ring, hoop earrings and cross) in Aruba on our honeymoon, and the color was exactly the same as the Caribbean Sea. Of course, the ring had four princess-cut diamonds invisibly set to look like a 1 ct size and was about $800, but I love the pieces and wear them all the time. They are perfectly clear – VS2 quality. So you can find nice irradiated diamonds. Keep looking. You''ll find a piece you love.
1.gif

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Joy2the world:

I don''t mean to imply irradiated blue diamonds are bad. Some stones can be quite pretty and it''s fine as long as you like it and the store discloses the treatment and the price is right. My issue is with cruise lines and stores misleading people. If you like the setting, it''s not hard to find a similar good quality ready-made one. If you don''t want to buy online, you can try going to an Intergem show, if you live near a city that hosts these shows.

AN

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found that irradiated blue asscher I love. It belongs to "DearBuddha." I hope she doesn''t mind my posting her ring, but I''ve actually seen natural blue diamonds this color, albeit they''re rarer than hen''s teeth.

DearBuddahBlue.JPG

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
That''s a beautiful blue color!

I did look online a little yesterday and most of the blue diamonds I found that were between .5 and .6 and were decent clarity were around $300. However, I''d be happy with a spinel in the center as well. I still haven''t found the perfect one though yet. I''ve been looking for 7 months!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
That’s a nice bright blue irradiated diamond. If I had to get something nuked, might as well get something gorgeous.
Joy,
Blue spinels are affordable but to get something in a nice bright blue like that is extremely difficult unless you go the synthetic route. Most blue spinels tend to be cold and steely (gray). Most tend to be dark as well unless you get something lavender or lilac. On the topic of full cut and single cuts – for larger melees, I like full cuts. For stones in micro-pave, I prefer single cuts because it has larger flashes instead of looking too busy. It is a matter of preference though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results