shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone ever tried Threading????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure where to post this- family or shopping- it doesn''t really seem to fit either place exactly right, but anyway. I think we have had makeup discussions here so I thought this would be the place.
I usually have gotten my lip/brow waxed for the past many years. Since I am pregnant, I have not been able to get waxed without my skin getting burnt. I have been told becuase the skin is thin to begin with and then it gets more so from the hormones.
Anyhoo, today I tried Threading andI think I am a convert- It was really interesting- slightly hurt but not really alot at all- except for some really tough spots as I have really fuzzy sideburn areas and we decided to do them too. It was fast and my face is soooooooo smooth it is amazing. I can''t stop touching it.
Just curious if you guys have ever heard of it/tried it and what your experience was like. Also wondering what the upkeep was like too. The threading lady said it just depends on the person.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It works great for brows but it hurts!!!! Hair takes longer to come in too which is nice. If your hair grows super fast I still think it takes a while for regrowth. It is an old Persian technique but few people really do it anymore.

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah diamondfan I am surprised more ppl don''t do it. I think it is better than waxing- maybe there aren''t that many ppl who practice it? I guess since it is such an old technique maybe fewer ppl are being trained in it today?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I only get threaded...never ever waxed due to the fact that once (long, long ago) along with my eyebrow hair, the girl took the thin tissue on my brow bone too. We''re not talking "normal" burns...if there is even such a thing...I blistered, and closing my eyes caused intense pain and bleeding. I was under the care of a Dr. for 6 months following the incident, and there was talking of skin grafts, which thank goodness I never needed.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
all the time!! love it...actually its pretty common over here (many ppl do threading and very little do waxing)...

a small piece of advice as some threading MAY cause some irritation, rite after ur done its really helpful if u wipe ur face (areas that have been threaded) with some rosewater (u can just spray it on a tissue or cotton or something)...really does wonders and avoids any pimples, redness or itchiness if uve got sensitive skin...

anika

Shiny_Rock
Threading is the norm in many asian countries with growing popularity in the west. Its great for eyebrows and upper lip- gives a fantastic precise brow line and despite a wee bit of pain is better on the skin, I think, than waxing. Also you don''t pull the skin very much.
Waxing is better for larger areas.

Anika.

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 12:32:20 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I only get threaded...never ever waxed due to the fact that once (long, long ago) along with my eyebrow hair, the girl took the thin tissue on my brow bone too. We''re not talking ''normal'' burns...if there is even such a thing...I blistered, and closing my eyes caused intense pain and bleeding. I was under the care of a Dr. for 6 months following the incident, and there was talking of skin grafts, which thank goodness I never needed.
Ouchhh! Italia sorry to hear that you had such a sever burn from the waxing. That sounds terrible. Luckily anytime I got burned it was pretty superficial and healed on it''s own very quickly.

On another note, I can''t wait to see the purse you bought your friend! I love red bags and I love coach! I am sure she will be so appreciative!

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 4:53:10 AM
Author: msb700
all the time!! love it...actually its pretty common over here (many ppl do threading and very little do waxing)...

a small piece of advice as some threading MAY cause some irritation, rite after ur done its really helpful if u wipe ur face (areas that have been threaded) with some rosewater (u can just spray it on a tissue or cotton or something)...really does wonders and avoids any pimples, redness or itchiness if uve got sensitive skin...
MSB thanks for the tips on threading. I appreciate it- Where is over here again? I think it''s the UK but I can''t exactly remember right now. The woman yesterday sprayed some cucumber water on my face- maybe the same idea? I did hear her say not to touch my face to much so I tried not to but wasn''t really sure how long/why I needed to be more careful? I am prone to ingrown hairs in other areas and have sensitive skin especially now but yesterday the redness went away fairly quickly and now I just have a nice smooth face! Oh Joy!!!

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi yeah I thought it may be more common in other places than the u.s. Surprisingly to me, when I googled threading I found about 20 salons in my area that do it- I think they seemed like they were listed on an Indian community web page- so it seems like it is here in full force just not mainstream maybe? anyway, I am glad I found it for me.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I get threading on my eyebrows once a month. I love it! My eyebrows come out perfectly, not like before with waxing.

I tried my lip once, but it nearly killed me and I nearly killed the person doing it.
23.gif

I would never wax my eyebrows ever again!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s becoming more and more popular in the US I think.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
i get my brows threaded every 6 weeks or so. i LUV how quick and precise it is!

there''s 2 "chain-type" threading salons in my area. both are good, i go to whichever outlet i''m closest to at the time. they both charge about the same- $11 for walk-ins. I once had them do my upper lip. OUCH- never again! i''ll just wax it myself.

www.yelp.com is a good resource for finding threading salons (and almost anything else!)

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
yeah I would say threading has become popular in the US. I work part time in a mall and there is a stall that does threading. Yeah, I don''t think I would get my eyebrows done in the middle of a mall. There is also a tooth whitening stall. These are STALLS mind you... not shops. It''s super weird! I will admit that I have wanted to try threading but i''m too chicken. I have red eyebrows though so they''re never a big deal.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 3:23:04 PM

MSB thanks for the tips on threading. I appreciate it- Where is over here again? I think it''s the UK but I can''t exactly remember right now. The woman yesterday sprayed some cucumber water on my face- maybe the same idea? I did hear her say not to touch my face to much so I tried not to but wasn''t really sure how long/why I needed to be more careful? I am prone to ingrown hairs in other areas and have sensitive skin especially now but yesterday the redness went away fairly quickly and now I just have a nice smooth face! Oh Joy!!!

Here would be Bahrain :) its a stone throw away from UAE/Dubai... the reason they say avoid touching ur face so much is coz u dont want to transfer any germs/dirt from ur hands onto ur face and in turn cause any itchiness/redness....but after half hour or so ur just fine... :)

enjoy!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
How does threading differ from waxing?

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
One uses thread and one uses wax.

It hurts, they are comparable.

san diego searcher

Rough_Rock
I go once a month or so for my upper lip. It hurts but they are pretty quick and results are good. Price is very reasonable too.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Tried it for first time, brow and upper lip. I liked it better than waxing; it seemed kinder to the skin initially though I am having a few more bumps than waxing, but I am not that picky, so I don''t mind. It was much cheaper, so that''s a plus. I would never sit in a mall and have people watching though
23.gif
I will probably continue to neaten every thing up at home and go back for threading when it is getting out of shape. As with all of these things, you are at the mercy of what that person thinks the shape of eyebrows should be. I let a girl wax my brows once and she "gave me my money''s worth"--there was almost no brows left!! I felt so stupid for a month or two until they filled in. I was so embarrassed I didn''t say a word about it to my husband or co-workers hoping they wouldn''t notice ( and no one mentioned it)

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
I recently switched to threading after being an avid waxer for years (eyebrows only).

It''s so much quicker, way less irritating to my skin, plus I''ve heard waxing isn''t good for wrinkles and such. Not sure why. It feels a bit weird, and I have to stop myself from wanting to swat her hand away. Not that it hurts, but kind of tickles???

But the best part- it''s FIVE dollars where I go. FIVE. Waxing is at least $20.

I am a convert.

Oh, and I go probably every 3-4 weeks or so.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results