shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone ever had a young pet get really sick?

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tips - we just got a rough collie puppy, our first! He's a sweetie, and very gentle...but still tremendously stressful for the cats.

We have multiple baby gates, cat shelves in every room, 2 cat trees...the cats always have one half of the condo to escape from the puppy. I think the major issue is, we just live in a small condo. Really small. We are planning on moving in the next 6 months, thank goodness.

We have a water fountain, and he actually drinks from a steady drip from our very old shower head. But we are getting another fountain! Diet is a biggie I know- we will absolutely be discussing this with our vet to figure out the best course of action. We feed a mix of dry & wet - and he loves both. We will gladly transition if that's what he needs!

Thanks again for the ideas and well wishes.

It sounds like you're doing everything you can in your current environment to support the kitties' needs - that's great.

Rough collies are the very best! As he matures, he will be great with them, I'm sure. I've had more than one who would not only be gentle and tolerant of the kitties, but actually fuss over them and alert me to medical issues with them before I could even tell there was a problem!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tips - we just got a rough collie puppy, our first! He's a sweetie, and very gentle...but still tremendously stressful for the cats.

We have multiple baby gates, cat shelves in every room, 2 cat trees...the cats always have one half of the condo to escape from the puppy. I think the major issue is, we just live in a small condo. Really small. We are planning on moving in the next 6 months, thank goodness.

We have a water fountain, and he actually drinks from a steady drip from our very old shower head. But we are getting another fountain! Diet is a biggie I know- we will absolutely be discussing this with our vet to figure out the best course of action. We feed a mix of dry & wet - and he loves both. We will gladly transition if that's what he needs!

Thanks again for the ideas and well wishes.

Regarding diet the vets will want him on Hill's C/D Diet or Royal Canin Urinary SO. They also make these foods in kibble form so talk with your vet because he may still be able to have some kibble (but only these brands). Some people in cat groups will tell you they have terrible ingredients, etc. and to feed another boutique brand (because they've bought into marketing). Listen to your vet exclusively. My cat Seth had to go on C/D (both wet and dry) when he was 2 years old. My other cat ate it too. He lived to be 19 years old and 31 days. My other cat lived 19 years and 9 months on those "crap" ingredients. They both led happy, healthy, vibrant lives until the very end.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Please don't be afraid to post more photos of Pinky :kiss2: and I'm looking forward to today's update, which is that I hope he's coming home.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Great update - Pinky is home! We still have to monitor him. But he is lively, ate some lunch (new prescription diet) - seems a little drugged up but now he's relaxing with me on the couch. He will continue on a cocktail on meds.

I am so relieved. Thank you all so much for your words of wisdom and support. Also glad to know I am not the only animal lover on the forum :pray:

1613589492059.png

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oh @Cerulean, here I am, late as always...
I don't have any sage advice but I'm leaving a big squeeze for you anyhow.
* just read the update: I'm so glad Pinky is home! :bigsmile:give him a kiss right between the ears for me for being so brave.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He will continue on a cocktail on meds

Prazosin, gabapentin and buprenorphine? I've got those always on hand for my guy. Even though he had the PU surgery, he occasionally has bouts of painful bladder and urethra spasms.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh @Cerulean, here I am, late as always...
I don't have any sage advice but I'm leaving a big squeeze for you anyhow.
* just read the update: I'm so glad Pinky is home! :bigsmile:give him a kiss right between the ears for me for being so brave.

So sweet - I will give him a smooch for you. He's napping right next to me, and my heart is so full. Poor peanut is exhausted!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Prazosin, gabapentin and buprenorphine? I've got those always on hand for my guy. Even though he had the PU surgery, he occasionally has bouts of painful bladder and urethra spasms.

Prazosin, gapapentin and clavamox (for infection)

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl: I bet he's sooo happy to be home!!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So happy to see that your cutie is feeling much better! What a sweet baby! My kitties send their love :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Cerulean , So glad your little guy is back home and feeling better. He‘s adorable! I’m sure you both will sleep well tonight now that he’s home.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad Pinky is home! Wishing you and Pinky many more happy healthy years together.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great update - Pinky is home! We still have to monitor him. But he is lively, ate some lunch (new prescription diet) - seems a little drugged up but now he's relaxing with me on the couch. He will continue on a cocktail on meds.

I am so relieved. Thank you all so much for your words of wisdom and support. Also glad to know I am not the only animal lover on the forum :pray:

1613589492059.png

So happy for you and your family @Cerulean !!! May Pinky be a part of your life for a very long time. Big (((hugs))) to all of you!

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Hi—am late to this thread and wanted to add our experience, FWIW. Your lil guy is so stinking cute! And it sounds like he’s on his way to recovery—not sure this will be useful given the great advice you’ve been given already.

Our cat, Chuckie, has had two urinary blockages caused by stress. He’s a sweet, goofy momma’s boy who gets anxiety, for which he’s been on Prozac/fluoxetine for years. He’s currently sitting on my lap discussing the weather now LOL.

After the second incident (emergency vet the night I got back from a trip, pre-Covid) which involved a catheter and a couple of nights at the hospital, he’s now on a daily dose of Prazosin. We add gabapentin to help him relax more if he needs it. I wish I had given him a gaba yesterday in anticipation of the chaos caused by window installation—he was on the edge and the gaba got him back. Bad me.

He’s also been on two medicated diets. We had him on the royal canin urinary and calm for older cats. And then both vets separately suggested switching to Purina urinary St/OX. He goes to town on the latter in a way he didn’t on the royal canin. And both come in wet and dry formulas. We add water to his food to help his intake.

Just wanted you to know that the urinary stuff can be managed well. He hasn’t had a relapse in over 18 months and no side effects from the meds.

Here’s to your bub being back with you and loving on you so you can do the same in return.

Edits for clarity regarding gabapentin and diet

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi—am late to this thread and wanted to add our experience, FWIW. Your lil guy is so stinking cute! And it sounds like he’s on his way to recovery—not sure this will be useful given the great advice you’ve been given already.

Our cat, Chuckie, has had two urinary blockages caused by stress. He’s a sweet, goofy momma’s boy who gets anxiety, for which he’s been on Prozac/fluoxetine for years. He’s currently sitting on my lap discussing the weather now LOL.

After the second incident (emergency vet the night I got back from a trip, pre-Covid) which involved a catheter and a couple of nights at the hospital, he’s now on a daily dose of Prazosin. We add gabapentin to help him relax more if he needs it. I wish I had given him a gaba yesterday in anticipation of the chaos caused by window installation—he was on the edge and the gaba got him back. Bad me.

He’s also been on two medicated diets. We had him on the royal canin urinary and calm for older cats. And then both vets separately suggested switching to Purina urinary St/OX. He goes to town on the latter in a way he didn’t on the royal canin. And both come in wet and dry formulas. We add water to his food to help his intake.

Just wanted you to know that the urinary stuff can be managed well. He hasn’t had a relapse in over 18 months and no side effects from the meds.

Here’s to your bub being back with you and loving on you so you can do the same in return.

Edits for clarity regarding gabapentin and diet

Aww thank you so much for the detailed response - I really appreciate it. I am also so glad that your guy has had his issues managed. Sounds like it was a scary situation at first.

I am waiting to discuss long-term options with the vet going forward - I might ask about a daily prescription and if it is needed. Luckily Pinky is a total food hog and will eat anything put in front of him. My other two cats...that remains to be seen.

I do wonder how much of this was anxiety - he's a very sensitive boy. Still suckles (he's like a thumb-sucker) and nose dives under the covers when someone comes over. I might consider anxiety meds if this persists.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Aww thank you so much for the detailed response - I really appreciate it. I am also so glad that your guy has had his issues managed. Sounds like it was a scary situation at first.

I am waiting to discuss long-term options with the vet going forward - I might ask about a daily prescription and if it is needed. Luckily Pinky is a total food hog and will eat anything put in front of him. My other two cats...that remains to be seen.

I do wonder how much of this was anxiety - he's a very sensitive boy. Still suckles (he's like a thumb-sucker) and nose dives under the covers when someone comes over. I might consider anxiety meds if this persists.

I was a wreck as I know many of us are when our lil guys go through tough times. He’s one of 6 (2 dogs and 4 cats) in our zoo

I think long term meds rx depend on severity and number of times the issue presents. He was borderline 3 strikes! And if your guys goes down the med route, there are many ways to administer (pill, liquid). We change things up since he changes his mind!

And anxiety can be subtle—I realized only after some time that Chuckie’s desire for affection, clinging, and vocalization were actually him expressing anxiety. Not all the time thank goodness. I’ve gotten better at differentiating now.

Sending sweet serenity and healing your way

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I was a wreck as I know many of us are when our lil guys go through tough times. He’s one of 6 (2 dogs and 4 cats) in our zoo

I think long term meds rx depend on severity and number of times the issue presents. He was borderline 3 strikes! And if your guys goes down the med route, there are many ways to administer (pill, liquid). We change things up since he changes his mind!

And anxiety can be subtle—I realized only after some time that Chuckie’s desire for affection, clinging, and vocalization were actually him expressing anxiety. Not all the time thank goodness. I’ve gotten better at differentiating now.

Sending sweet serenity and healing your way

That makes sense regarding meds. I do think anxiety may be a factor - got more feliway and will give him extra snuggles and see how it plays out. We have a bit of a zoo too - 3 cats and 1 puppy!

Thanks again for your kind words

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
More Pinky pics please! :love:

Happy to indulge! As you can tell he’s a love bug! And he’s totally bonded to my other cat Noodles!

0A4B7884-3C27-4BB3-B59C-2B10C8B88F89.jpeg

Attachments

• DF4F230E-A969-4454-9314-DD678E366D20.jpeg
    DF4F230E-A969-4454-9314-DD678E366D20.jpeg
    637.3 KB · Views: 9
  • ED4FA73F-1F89-4AF9-A611-18B6819138A9.jpeg
    ED4FA73F-1F89-4AF9-A611-18B6819138A9.jpeg
    796.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 924FD362-3CEA-4589-A02C-54C1069CDCA3.jpeg
    924FD362-3CEA-4589-A02C-54C1069CDCA3.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 144BB7B6-3553-41B4-B783-4E096D01AD9D.jpeg
    144BB7B6-3553-41B4-B783-4E096D01AD9D.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 11

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beauty, and it sure looks like he's settled right in!

Does he purr out his happiness when he's on your lap?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them both, so cute!

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
His sweet inquisitive face—be still my heart! Love how the two of them cuddle! More pics, please!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results