shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else''s husband or SO not understand the appeal of diamonds???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
I often wonder about this when reading this forum. My husband, despite being a lovely man, just does not like, or understand the appeal of diamonds. I think he is slightly prejudiced because he is a geologist and he perceives them to be ''geologically uninteresting lumps of carbon''. I must confess to having often wished this were not the case, especially after he came home from a conference one day and told me about a guy he was speaking to who worked for a diamond producer who was complaining that his company often gave them uncut diamonds in lieu of cash bonuses.

Luckily for me my husband does not begrudge me my interest in, and desire for a beautiful diamond, and I am sure that if finances permitted he would happily encourage me to go for the 2 carat honker I secretly dream of. But he would never be as enthusiastic about it as I am. I understand this. I can''t pretend to share his interest in expensive mountain bikes, but I have to say it would be nice to have a man who understood the appeal of diamonds, especially as I have a man who will happily spend several minutes studying granite bench tops and who has often made me stop at roadside cuttings when driving just to study rock formations and the like. Diamonds are rocks too, why can''t he want to stare endlessly at them????

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe even though it sounds as if his interest in diamonds in the rough is generally low, he finds the cut and polished stone even less appealing. It could be that diamonds in a geological sense aren''t as interesting to him as other stones, and that is his preference as a geologist. My Hubby is only interested in diamonds in the sense that they bring me happiness, I think that is the case for many of us here!

I wish you luck with getting that 2 carater!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
how does he feel about color stones?

movie zombie

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
DH didn't understand the appeal either, although not for the logical scientific reason that your husband gives - he just didn't get it! So, I had to help him get it. It took about ten years all in, but the final breakthrough came after our recent visit to NYC and of course, the Diamond District. He got it! Finally! I don't know if it was a lightbulb moment, or if I just finally wore him down, but he got it!
9.gif
I recently overheard him talking to his nephew on the phone. Nephew is about to get engaged and my husband was using words like "cut" and "Whiteflash" and "DBL" and "GIA report..." I was totally floored. It's been filtering in all these years after all.

I spent a couple of hours last night researching the perfect earring jackets and he got involved. Voluntarily. With valid opinions. I think my work here is done!

Jen

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jen, isn''t it great when they just start rattling off information you thought they hadn''t been paying attention to? "Oh you WERE listening!" Too funny!

My FI began to learn about diamonds after I showed him what I had learned from PS, GOG, and other places. He''s not as interested as I am, but he does want to know that he got a good deal and a quality diamond (or piece of jewelry), and he''ll do the research that it takes. He got really involved in the process of getting my engagement ring and wedding band, and I know he''s very proud that we worked together to get something we both love.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
31.gif
9.gif

Date: 1/13/2008 7:35:07 AM
Author:softly softly
I often wonder about this when reading this forum. My husband, despite being a lovely man, just does not like, or understand the appeal of diamonds. I think he is slightly prejudiced because he is a geologist and he perceives them to be ''geologically uninteresting lumps of carbon''. ?

9.gif
ROFLMAO Oh, god, I am literally gasping for breath here! And I thought my husband was the only man who said that! It''s something to do with logical scientists I guess.
9.gif

Fortunately he loves to make me happy and diamonds from him make me so happy I cry.
5.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
My husband doesn't...at all. He hates the politics behind them (both "blood" and the DeBeers scam). He was somewhat okay with me wanting a couple of classic pieces (ring, pendant, possibly earrings...working on that), but I can't imagine he'd ever surprise me with one/them.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think DH loved buying me jewelry until he realized I had a serious jewelry bug. ;-) I know he''s very proud of all of the gifts he''s given me, especially my e-ring, but I think he also feels a bit pressured knowing that a) I''ve learned a lot about diamonds and colored stones by hanging out on P.S. b) we''re on serious budget as newlyweds and I have PS-informed taste. It will be a long time I think before he makes a jewelry purchase for me...does make me feel like I killed the romance a bit.

That said, my MIL''s best friend and I were talking about jewelry at Xmas (she''s the only jewelry lover in DH''s "family") and she said that she thought it was fantastic that I buy a lot of my own jewelry. She thinks that''s an empowering thing to buy your own pieces, and that too many women wait to have their husbands buy them things and and live a life with not enough bling. Just another way to look at it! :)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My DH doesn''t like diamonds that much either, but then...I don''t really appreciate his electronics hobby. We are both fine with the other person having those hobbies though and let each other indulge in them if we are able to.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2008 1:12:49 PM
Author: EBree
My husband doesn't...at all. He hates the politics behind them (both 'blood' and the DeBeers scam). He was somewhat okay with me wanting a couple of classic pieces (ring, pendant, possibly earrings...working on that), but I can't imagine he'd ever surprise me with one/them.
My husband is the same way. He doesn't understand why I love them so much and he thinks it's way overpriced and not worth it. I can't imagine him ever surprising me with diamond jewelry. He thinks I have enough now that I have my ering, wedding band, RHR, pendant, and earrings. Boo. But it's okay because I can buy my own diamonds.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is a whack from a clue stick....

Vast majority of guys....

Whats a diamond?
Something my old lady hounds me until I spend my TV money on one.

Whats a diamond part2:
expensive and a ripoff but might lead too sex and make her stop talking for 5 min.

So if you have one of the rare ones who don''t feel that way be happy!
And for those that do well..... just buy your own...

There now flame away

storm *Dodges bullets while slamming the door for telling part of the Man code*

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if FI totally gets it, but he is very encouraging and really wants me to go back into the industry. He''s more than happy to go into shops on New Bond Street.

He wouldn''t spend hours on here or anything, but he did shock me the other day.

I was looking at some pics of stones - no names or anything next to them - and he lent over and said "that looks like a nice spessartite"
23.gif

I also bought a pair of earrings just before xmas as a present for myself - I had put them on and when he came home, he says - that''s a very nice pair of padparadasch sapphires you are wearing...
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

So it''s obviously going in one ear and being stored away. I''ve also noticed that he talks to his friends about different kinds of coloured stones and diamonds - a lot of them are thinking e-rings at the moment - and he''s saying the right kind of things...

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
my FI doesn''t share my obsessive interest in the field of fine jewelry and diamonds, but he totally gets it. He''s an avid collector, so he understands the perception of value being different for some people than it is for others. And since FI bought my diamond, he knows a little bit more about them.

But I still think it may take some convincing, come our 10 year anniversary, to get that 2.5ct dream upgrade diamond. So I''ve started working on him already, he''s slowly warming up to the idea.
27.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2008 4:36:59 PM
Author: snlee

My husband doesn''t...at all. He hates the politics behind them (both ''blood'' and the DeBeers scam). He was somewhat okay with me wanting a couple of classic pieces (ring, pendant, possibly earrings...working on that), but I can''t imagine he''d ever surprise me with one/them.
My husband is the same way. He doesn''t understand why I love them so much and he thinks it''s way overpriced and not worth it. I can''t imagine him ever surprising me with diamond jewelry. He thinks I have enough now that I have my ering, wedding band, RHR, pendant, and earrings. Boo. But it''s okay because I can buy my own diamonds.
Ditto here...FI has gone on and on about the politics, as well. I think he feels that now that I have my e-ring, he no longer has any need to ever buy me jewelry again...which means I will just have to buy my own, I guess.

Also, the only interest he REALLY showed in my e-ring was when the stone alone appraised for well over 3 times what he had paid...then, of course, it was an investment in his eyes, which made complete sense to his financially apt mind! (Aside from his initial investment of ME, of course!)
31.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as opinions go, I think Storm''s is dead-on about what my husband thinks of them.
9.gif
That''s ok...I feel the same way about big screen t.v.''s ...saltwater aquariums...golf clubs...football...yeah.
35.gif

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2008 12:55:43 PM
Author: IndieJones

9.gif
31.gif
9.gif

Date: 1/13/2008 7:35:07 AM

Author:softly softly

I often wonder about this when reading this forum. My husband, despite being a lovely man, just does not like, or understand the appeal of diamonds. I think he is slightly prejudiced because he is a geologist and he perceives them to be ''geologically uninteresting lumps of carbon''. ?

9.gif
ROFLMAO Oh, god, I am literally gasping for breath here! And I thought my husband was the only man who said that! It''s something to do with logical scientists I guess.
9.gif

Fortunately he loves to make me happy and diamonds from him make me so happy I cry.
5.gif

Glad to see my husband isn''t the only one!!! Seriously though, he does also like to see me happy, he just seems genuinely perplexed that diamonds make me so happy. Unfortunately he is similarly uninterested in coloured stones. He is however,quite fond of the diamonds used in the drills they use to drill holes in the earth and did once offer to bring some home for me to look at - I politely declined. I understand the whole male vs female differing areas of interest thing, but wouldn''t one reasonably expect that a man who earns his living studying rocks and who has his own rock collection that we have lugged around with us, would also find diamonds as interesting as the lump of iron ore he proudly displays in his study?

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Softly softly, I think we have the same husband!!! Mine is an engineer, loves mountain biking, and completely does not get diamonds. He always asks me in the evening if I am chatting on "Blinged up b*tches.com", and I just say, yes!!!

He sees no point in them - not practical (very much an engineer!). His brain definately works as Storm has described. Also, I figure it is also a "mother" thing. In his family, there are no heirlooms, no jewellry at all! His mother wears her original wedding set, which has maybe a couple .02 ct diamonds (I can''t tell from the claws holding those minis in place). If it''s good enough for mom, its good enough for DW......

I don''t think so. LC here comes from a blinged up family and I work hard litigating to ean my bling. So, as the ladies have noted, I just buy my own (and thanks to my PS addition, will continue to buy my own....)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband doesn''t...at all. He hates the politics behind them (both ''blood'' and the DeBeers scam). He was somewhat okay with me wanting a couple of classic pieces (ring, pendant, possibly earrings...working on that), but I can''t imagine he''d ever surprise me with one/them.

That''s how my BF is! He always talks about how proceeds from diamonds that aren''t blood diamonds don''t go back to Africa and how it would help the economy there, and therefore the politics and all other social issues. I understand his concerns and everything, but I still want a diamond someday. And to have it be blue would be awesome!

Luckily for me, my dad doesn''t think about that stuff, so I''ll get my family diamonds someday. And then I''ll post them to Pricescope! YAY!

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
Well, my DH is a very practical man. He just shakes his head and mumbles something about how many dollars my diamond costs. He thinks it''s better to spend money on something that will have more value in the future. (huh?) For instance, he thinks his investment in a 66 mustang to be restored is a much better deal. Well, the old rusty thing is still sitting in the extra garage where it has been - untouched mind you - for 7 or 8 years. IF he ever gets around to restoring it, he will only take it out of the garage on sunny days and will probably drive it for 5 miles before returning home and washing it and returning it to the garage. I think I have a better deal. I walk around with my diamond every day and it doesn''t have to be restored!!
9.gif

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Oh oh oh!! Mine doesn't! Mine doesn't!!

38.gif

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
my BF thinks all diamonds look the same. He has no pateince to compare and contrast them and he thinks I am nuts for being able to study the stones and notice little differences in the way they retrun light and sparkle!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think men who understand the appeal of diamonds is in the vast minority.
My husband''s main beef is they are expensive and don''t "do" anything. Expensive musical equipment on the other hand you can "play" them.

"blinged out b*tches" forum ROTFL!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband thinks diamonds are a huge waste of how to spend money and I can hear him grit his teeth whenever I bring them up!

After he bought a $10K hot tub last summer, he spontanously became very generous and agreed to a few purchases, but since then has closed his wallet to my passion and I'm left to only enjoy the few new treats I've gotten.
20.gif
lol I tried on a 2 ct tennis bracelet today and decided I must have one, but will patiently wait for till DH comes around to wanting another treat for himself so he'll be more supportive of mine!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
My FI loves my diamond... but not as much as I do. He''s pretty damn proud of it too. As he should be. It''s a lovely stone in a lovely setting and he did good!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results