shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Else?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Hey Jenwill - It sounds like you''ve been through the ringer. Are you going to get surgery on your ankle? I just had mine reconstructed because of torn ligaments.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Alright girls, I went yoga today after work, so the rest of you do not have any excuses! Gotta finish getting ready for my date...

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
BlueChica - I was going to say the same thing that Jenwill ended up saying...when I had knee problems they told me to swim, so if you have access to a pool somewhere, might be a good option for you!

Teebee - thanks for the info on that book! I''m gonna try to get it cheap off ebay or amazon marketplace, it looked interesting

I am off to target to get vday candy on sale and then to the gym...those 2 things fit together so well
3.gif
but I swear it is to bring into work tomorrow!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
So today on Oprah she went through how she lost her weight...these were the main guidelines:

-- regular vigorous work out 8x a week
-- eat a well balanced breakfast every day
-- eat consciously at all meals
-- stop eating 2-3 hours before bedtime
-- no alcohol
-- minimum of six 8oz glasses of water a day

They had a bunch of people do that for 12 weeks and loose a decent amount of weight. 8x a week seems a little excessive to me though! 6Am work outs and 2 afternoon ones. The book by her trainer, Bob Greene, was obviously promoted as well.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2005 12:32:34 AM
Author: Blue824
So today on Oprah she went through how she lost her weight...these were the main guidelines:

-- regular vigorous work out 8x a week
-- eat a well balanced breakfast every day
-- eat consciously at all meals
-- stop eating 2-3 hours before bedtime
-- no alcohol
-- minimum of six 8oz glasses of water a day

They had a bunch of people do that for 12 weeks and loose a decent amount of weight. 8x a week seems a little excessive to me though! 6Am work outs and 2 afternoon ones. The book by her trainer, Bob Greene, was obviously promoted as well.
yeah the oprah show made sense... basically she said that being committed to losing weight/ being in shape is a DECISION you make. you don''t "try" which i definitely agree with. and you forgot one Blue-

-- No white food! as in, no sugar, no white flour, no processed crap... which is easy for me as i''ve been eating that way for almost 5 years now.

This stuff IS quite bad for your waist; I feel muuuuuch better not eating this stuff.

(by the way, even though I am in exam week- I did get in a solid half an hour of cardio yesterday
1.gif
)

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Something to keep in mind for those you wanting to loose weight...these activites are not temporary, you have to make a lifestyle change and keep it that way or all the pounds will come back!

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/15/2005 9:23:16 AM
Author: appletini
Something to keep in mind for those you wanting to loose weight...these activites are not temporary, you have to make a lifestyle change and keep it that way or all the pounds will come back!

Amen, Appletini!

I have made changes before but they were always temporary- this time it has to become permanent and I need to make taking care of myself my mantra and it has to be about ME. Knowing my BF loves me the way I am is wonderful so this new lifestyle change is because I want to feel better and be healthy!

Today I will be recording my weight and measurements in my journal & tomorrow''s my first day at the gym!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
As cliche as it is, I think the key to everything is moderation. We all just eat too damn much! Dinner should fill a small plate, not a large one. You can drink, just realize that whether is alchohol or juice or soda that it''s calories. So if you have a glass of wine, don''t eat that second piece of chicken. Exercising eight times a week is unrealistic, so excercise when you can... get off one bus stop before yours and walk the rest. Don''t drive to the gym. Walk up and down the stairs three times before you cook your dinner. Do ten jumping jacks after every time you go to the bathroom. Everything adds up. I always get paralized with fear when I think about how I''m supposed to be so strict with myself so I usually give up. But if you do a little at a time, it will happen...

Now, if I could just follow this plan myself!
20.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Working out 8x a week is a little crazy in my opinion. I think 3-4 times a week is good, but remember something is always better than nothing.

Sometimes I like to go walking at Rice University, its ~3 miles aroung the campus, and the scenery is beautiful, lots of trees, pretty houses, the college, and the medical center. Its my alone time to think.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent tips! Keep them coming ladies
1.gif

Another one I''ve heard:
When you drive to a store or if there is a large parking lot where you live, try to get a parking spot at least twice as far away from the building than where you normally park. It adds up to lots of extra walking throughout the day. Also, take the long way around in your office to get where you need to go or what you need.

One thing I''ve tried in the past to help with dieting is instead of eatting a snack in between meals I''ll have a class of warm tea with lemon (no sugar or milk). I''ve heard that warm water with lemon also does the trick. I''ve tried it once, but I prefer warm tea.

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Blue824...you are right, I should swim, and I do have some access to a pool. But...and I realize this is really stupid...I''m too shy to get in a bathing suit right now. The pool I have access to is a fishbowl (in the center of all the cardio equipment).

I had a great workout yesterday, my arms are SOOOOOOOOOo sore.
31.gif
Planning on going to do an hour of cardio later. Usually I do 20 min on one machine, 20 on another, then 20 on another. It keeps me from getting bored. That and my ipod.

fountainfairfax - that''s such a wonderful attitude. :) You go girl!

As for Oprah...well, working out 8x/week might work for some people, but I am WAY too busy for that. I should watch my alcohol consumption, I go out for drinks a couple of times a week usually. I love vodka tonics...they''re like water, right?
27.gif

A workout buddy has always been a savior for me...it keeps me accountable. It''s hard finding someone reliable, who''s got similar goals, a similar schedule, and who you get along with though.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a big fan of the drinking too... that''s my downfall.
Blue: you should try to switch to vodka & club soda. Much less calories. I usually stick to wine or martinis... no mixers there!
I''ve been doing this Zone diet where I get my food delivered to me every morning. It''s expensive -- but worth it. All my food is planned out for me so I don''t have to worry about portions or about planning for the next day.

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
I have been trying to switch to red wine more...it''s not that I don''t like it, it''s just that I LOVE vodka tonics. At home I drink diet tonic, but when I go out I will try club soda, that''s a good idea. You know, a friend of mine switched to smoking pot to save calories on drinking at parties. How funny is that?

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
That''s funny about the pot! However, I would think that you wouldn''t really save any calories since you''d get the munchies and go crazy with snacks!

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Okay ladies, I have been working at the weight loss/get fit thing too. I have gained 37 lbs in the year that my bf and I have been dating. I have been going to cardio kicboxing 2 x per week and weight training 1 x. In the past month, I haven''t noticed a diff in my weight, but definitely in my energy level.

Also, in the effort to keep my eating under control I have found a great website. It has an online food and activity diary, and charts to help you track your goals. It also calculates metabolism and such for you. (I sound like an advert
3.gif
) Anyhow, I think this site is fabulous- fitday.com

Croí

Shiny_Rock
right - I *really* need to be on here. REALLY !

I have ten weeks to tone up and lose a few pounds. Ideally 10 - 15 lbs ! I have never been into sport or exercise. Last year I went to a pilates studio, signed up (and paid for !) five classes and never went ( I still have the card though, maybe I could still use it).
Those of you doing pilates, do you find it does help shape your body ??

I also joined Curves which I actually found I enjoy. Not being athletic I was always intimidated by ''the gym'' and I still am. I like Curves though - it''s really easy, it''s all women of every age, shape, size and colour, and it''s really fast. Only a half hour. The other plus is the machines are totally easy, I don''t have to look at something and wonder what in the world I''m supposed to do on it !!!
My problem (like all of you) is actually motivating myself into going. I did go twice last week (best I''ve done since those first gung-ho weeks !). I didn''t go last night because of Valentine''s (and my honey cooked a delicious meal, being Italian, he can cook - but eating Italian is NOT helping my figure !) but I am going to go tonight. I plan to go tomorrow night too because I can''t go Thursday as I''m meeting some of you girls ! (hoorah !!!!)

My only plus in all of this is that since I''m having my dress made, I can be sure it will be a good fit. For me though, it''s a self-issue. I gained so much weight after my break-up. Lost some and then plateaued. I am 149lbs and would be happy if I were 135lbs.

I have been trying to eat better and drink water (which I find so boring I forget!) but my big thing is to do some exercise. I sit at a desk all day long. I don''t want to put pressure on myself and set impossible goals but I think if I can be consistent in little things, eating more fruit, drinking water, going to Curves at least four times a week - maybe trying the pilates ....... then it will make some difference ... and something is better than nothing at all !

I also have tried (and loved) dry skin brushing. It''s great first thing in the morning (when I can get up early enough to do it !)

Are we going to start a " did you go ?! " then - so we can know we''ll be getting ''tut-tut''s if we don''t go ?!?

I don''t have a gym partner and won''t have. I need some help to be motivated myself.
ANY advice appreciated !!!!!
9.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Croi - My mom has started doing and curves and she is enjoying it as well. When i was living at home, i bought her a gym membership and tried to get her to go with me, but she usually ended up not going because she felt she was holding me back (saying this the nicest way possible b/c i love my mother to bits! She is very overweight). The curves workouts are very easy for her and she wasnt/isnt very athletic either.

I cant take the plain water all the time either. When i go out i order it with either a lemon or a lime... gives it a nice flavor. At work i drink flavored green tea all day long. I keep using the same tea bag everytime i fill it up, so it gets weaker as the day goes on, and closer to plain water. Green tea is also full of good things for you!

madarski

Rough_Rock
We could start a thread where we all post what we did to work out that day!!! Then we can be motivated by eachother!!! Lets do it!!
3.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
BlueChica- I am trying to hold off on surgery for my ankle right now. I just started a new job, and really don''t want to take any time off if I can help it. It does ache some, and I wrap it if I am going to be standign and/or walking for any length of time.

I had my first knee surgery at 15, total dislocation from cheerleading accident. Second at 22, 3rd at 27. eventually to be replaced, but that is still 10 years or so away. So, swimming for me! Once I get to a good weight, I may be able to add walking on a treadmill, since the impact will be less. And swimming can be a pain, getting changed, wet hair in the evening, taking wet swimsuit hime and getting it dry for next day, etc. But, one advantage is that it works total body (especially7 those pesky arm flabs!) and REALLY improves lung capacity.

OK, I leave for Hawaii tomorrow, but when I get back i am going to be reporting in with my progress so that I have tsk, tskers if I flake on working out!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
hey ladies...

ky6 mentioned fitday.com, which is a really great website. if you have to type in everything that you eat, you''ll think twice about boredom eating and it makes you think- do i REALLY want/need to eat that? i don''t type in what i''m eating frequently, but i do it once in a while just to make sure i''m not eating poorly. i also like that it shows if you''re meeting vitamin/mineral requirements.

Croí- i love pilates! but it''s really more for toning and elongating muscles than losing weight. pilates + cardio is a great combination.

you know, i too have knee problems- cartilage damage. i injured my knee figure skating and it has bothered me ever since. i did physical therapy for a long while and it did not help much- and i have no desire to start getting cortisone shots in my knee. if i want to work out, i basically have to work through the pain... i really should start swimming.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I joined CURVES a few weeks back and I really like it. At first I was hesitant because I thought it was for "old ladies" and the workouts would be way too easy. I''m 25 and use to jogging on the treadmill so I thought this wouldn''t be worth the money and would not be an effective workout. I went and did my training and went around on all the machines and I love it. The machines are hard and I find myself sweating! I don''t get bored like I did on the treadmill, you have the comfort of being with all women and you are getting some cardio and some strength traning. I guess they call it circuit training. You are basically on each machine for 30 seconds and go around two times at which piont your 30 minute workout is complete. In between each strength traning station is a resting spot where you basically jog or walk in place. I''ve lost inches in the 2-3 weeks that I''ve been there and I think a pound our so. (I"m sure it would be more if I actually stopped eating chocolate and bad foods!)
emotion-33.gif
Anyway I like it cuz it''s something different and I actually don''t "dread" working out.
Plus, I sleep like a baby at night when I work out that day, really wierd but I love it!
emmoon.gif

Good Luck!

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/15/2005 1:37:10 PM
Author: madarski
We could start a thread where we all post what we did to work out that day!!! Then we can be motivated by eachother!!! Lets do it!!
3.gif
I''m with you on the new thread- did you start it yet?!

madarski

Rough_Rock
I sure did. Check it out girls!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I have not really been on this week, but wanted to commend all of you girls for being so pro-active and supportive about fitness and all that good stuff. I am not quite ready to join this thread (or the other) YET, but I will...I''m feeling so frayed at the edges in a lot of areas of life and am not quite putting myself at the top of that list yet--but I will very soon.

Croi, to answer your question, yep, Pilates really does shape your body. I''m the most gym/exercise-averse person. It''s terrible--I have lots of residual "issues" from feeling lame in P.E. as a kid, etc....I was never any good at sports which required running (both athsma and circulation stuff) and it''s totally carried over to me as an adult. I''ve always excelled far more in lower-impact stuff that goes along with my experience/training as an actor: yoga, pilates, alexander technique, dance....but I pretty well SUCK in things that are closer to general cardio.

I''m pretty happy with my current SIZE, but not my SHAPE if that makes any sense--like, I don''t want to drop a size, but I want to seriously tone up, lower my body fat %, gain some muscle perhaps, lose the cellulite, etc.

I gained 25 pounds in my first 2 years out of college--which is a lot at only 5''3". (Living in LA--no walking--eating tons of pasta and sitting on my as$ 10 hours a day in an office job) I joined weight watchers and ultimately lost *most* of it...this was in ''98, so I know the program has changed some, but it worked for me. (although I''m a pretty laid back person, and I''ve heard and seen first hand that if you have ANY propensity to eating disorders or obsessive behavior, then the counting and keeping track of a system like WW is a bad idea for you.)

Everyone has a different approach, but mine does NOT include a scale. I never weigh myself unless I''m at the dr. I go by how my clothes fit me and how I look in and out of them!! Numbers may not lie, but they can deceive....I look better at 30 at a higher weight than I did at 21: my weight has redistributed itself.

Anyway, now that I''ve written all of this out, I think maybe I''m closer to ready to join up than I thought. My boyfriend is on a HUGE gym kick. He plays squash 3-4x a week, rides his bike and goes to spinning class. I need to follow suit.

I just can''t give up coffee, but I''m going to really try that parking lot trick (esp. now that I''ve left NYC
8.gif
and will try to keep my H2O intake wayway up.

GOOD LUCK GALS!!! You are awesome!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results